Do sapper builds work well in PVP

ryokoryu

RV, you're more likely than not to get interrupted by someone else in zone. If you take it to arena sapper builds can do just fine (Therm/Elec and its Corruptor opposite were pretty popular dueling builds back on live) but more likely than not you won't find many people willing to duel you because they're so annoying to fight against. Sapper builds are less popular now than they were back on live due to changes in the proc system making damage higher than it used to be but they're still effective.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

On 12/28/2020 at 6:03 PM, ryokoryu said:

I was thinking of going kin/elec

You're gonna have a rough go of that while solo. It doesn't have the sustainability of Therm or Elec since the heal is PBAoE and requires a hit check, and doesn't have sustained -recovery to keep someone's end drained.

2 hours ago, macskull said:

You're gonna have a rough go of that while solo. It doesn't have the sustainability of Therm or Elec since the heal is PBAoE and requires a hit check, and doesn't have sustained -recovery to keep someone's end drained.

no but IIRC transfusion does as well as short circuit.  From what I have seen so far although its only 3 fights I havn't seen many misses even when stacked with +DEF

8 hours ago, ryokoryu said:

no but IIRC transfusion does as well as short circuit.  From what I have seen so far although its only 3 fights I havn't seen many misses even when stacked with +DEF

Transfusion does -regen, not -recovery. It might not miss often but you need to be next to your target to actually get the benefit of the heal which is impractical most of the time and generally not where you want to be as a squishy.

8 hours ago, ryokoryu said:

Either way I am making a poison/dark for my first trip, hoping the stacking -to hit will work well and the -heal -def/res 

Poison/Dark is a good combination.

On 12/30/2020 at 11:38 PM, macskull said:

Transfusion does -regen, not -recovery. It might not miss often but you need to be next to your target to actually get the benefit of the heal which is impractical most of the time and generally not where you want to be as a squishy.

Poison/Dark is a good combination.

the one that hits +end in an area around the target.  That kills recovery.  It also end drains a bit.  

Unless it's different in PvP none of Kinetics powers do -recovery (Transfusion does a small amount -endurance. Transference does a modest amount of -endurance).  Short Circuit however does considerable -recovery as well as a lesser amount of -end.  A strong sapper build will do both quickly removing endurance then shutting down the ability to recover that endurance.

Power Boosted SC fully enhanced gets rather ugly at PvE-side anyway.  On a defender it's showing as around -70 endurance and -200% recovery in one of my Mids builds.

• 2 weeks later

The burst dmg out weighs the time for you to get all those -end debuffs imo. But people will prove me wrong. They still kill you with 2 or 3 attacks loaded with procs, they dont need all there end. Pvp is broken imo. weight tell it gets fixed somehow

Edited by Hops

Kill Most ITFs! Defender Tank! dahkness11 - Twitch

3 hours ago, Hops said:

The burst dmg out weighs the time for you to get all those -end debuffs imo. But people will prove me wrong. They still kill you with 2 or 3 attacks loaded with procs, they dont need all there end. Pvp is broken imo. weight tell it gets fixed somehow

This, at least the few times I did PvP back on Live.  And really that's the issue PvE side as well.  A lone sapper can be very effective at draining end.  Problem is even if done very rapidly damage is also very rapid (especially against lower ranks).  And one defeats while the other renders the foe helpless.  Pretty much only foes which have a lot of health relative to their endurance is draining to helpless fast enough to become an effective form of mitigation while reducing the target health.  This is most true of AV's where they have 10s of thousands of health.  It becomes much easier to sap a few hundred endurance than 30000+ health even if both effects are highly resisted.