What's *like* a fortunata but not a fortunata?

Gulbasaur

I love my fortunata. Doctor Fortune is the most fun character I've ever played. He's the only character in game I've ever had compliments about. Fortunatas are resplendent.

Melee, range, control, debuffs, buffs, enough aggro management to tank and look good doing it. Jack of all trades, master of none is what I like - flexibility and utility. I can solo AVs but I can also carry a load of level 1 babies out of Atlas Park through incarnate content.

Peacebringers are neat but their melee attacks go in slow motion and been there, done that. Warshades are very powerful but I feel like I spend as much time applying buffs as I do actually attacking. Soldiers... wrong aesthetic and they trade out a fortunata's utility for a lot of AoE damage and everyone and their cow brings a lot of AoE to the table by mid-game. Tankers and stalkers are what I usually default to otherwise.

Dominators look fun, but I've never really got too far with one. I don't love a lot of the control sets, which doesn't help. Sentinels look kind of interesting but they lack melee without leaning heavily on power pools (which is what they're for so that's not a huge issue). Masterminds don't work for me - I don't like pets, least of all pets you have to actually pay attention to. Blasters are interesting, but the only one I've taken to a significant level was a dual pistols one who apparently fired blanks because he wasn't "arresting" anything quickly enough. I do like defenders, corruptors and controllers, partly because the support sets are so varied.

So, what would you recommend to a hapless idiot who wants it all?

Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

On 1/11/2021 at 2:23 PM, Veelectric Boogaloo said:

Closest to a fort you're going to get is a dom for the mix of controls, ranged and melee. Other than that a control heavy blapper i guess?

/seconded. Dominators will have much lower defenses. My Fire/Psi/Mind has Defenses in the 20% with perma Link Minds. IMO: The main difference between Dominators and Fortunata is that the Fortunata (either path) have a lot of good choices (including Power Pools) that build on each other, but with Dominators you are going to be at the mercy of your Primary/Secondary choices, and rely on the variety in the Epic/Patron pools to cover you.

My Spines/Bio Stalker feels a little but like my (melee mayhem) Fortunata, minus the team support. On a finished build, the typed defenses are (generally) better than the positional defenses. /Bio offers some fun (IMO) PBAoE, but if you want true 'controls' you would need to leverage power pools. Obviously Stalkers are more geared to (single target) DPS but Spines/Bio moves pretty quickly with fast-moving PUGs.

On 1/17/2021 at 4:00 AM, tidge said:

My Spines/Bio Stalker feels a little but like my (melee mayhem) Fortunata, minus the team support. On a finished build, the typed defenses are (generally) better than the positional defenses. /Bio offers some fun (IMO) PBAoE, but if you want true 'controls' you would need to leverage power pools. Obviously Stalkers are more geared to (single target) DPS but Spines/Bio moves pretty quickly with fast-moving PUGs.

I was looking at spines/bio actually... in the end I just made a new costume on my fort and that was enough to keep me happy. If I make another stalker, I'll probably give it a go.

Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas