Archery/Tactical Arrow or Trick Arrow/Archery

StriderIV

Hi all! 

For a while now, I wanted to make an Archery themed hero and have decided to roll one out!

My last decision is to either roll an A/Tac Arrow Blaster or Trick Arrow/A Defender or Corrupter.

I understand that each archetype their main strengths with the sets (Blaster = more Damage, Defender = better buffs, Corrupter kind of a combo of the 2.

I know historically Tactical Arrow was the better of the 2 choices, but Trick Arrow has recently been buffed to come more in line with it. My question is does anyone of any experience with the builds, and is there any synergy between the sets that a newbie like myself might not be aware of?

Thanks all!

I think the biggest question to ask yourself is:  Do you want to solo, or team?

A Trick Arrow Defender is a joy on a team.  Rough solo (but not as rough as some other Defenders).
An Archery Blaster is damned solid solo (particularly around the 20 to 35 range, in my experience).  But they might find other Blasters outshining them in teams.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TemporalVileTerror said:

I think the biggest question to ask yourself is:  Do you want to solo, or team?

A Trick Arrow Defender is a joy on a team.  Rough solo (but not as rough as some other Defenders).
An Archery Blaster is damned solid solo (particularly around the 20 to 35 range, in my experience).  But they might find other Blasters outshining them in teams.

I do primarily team with at least 2 other buddies. I guess that answers that =P

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, TemporalVileTerror said:

A small team of close buddies kind of adds another question to the proceedings:

Would you all like to coordinate together and develop a theme team?

True! One is an AR/Devices Blaster and the other is a TW/Fire Brute.

I could continue with the weapons theme. The 2 I had in mind (if I were to go Defender) would be either Time/DP or Trick Arrow/Archery. Since you seem pretty knowledgeable, do you have a recommendation? =]

• Thanks 1

With that team?  Yeah.  Trick Arrow / Archery Defender definitely sounds appealing to me.  Brute to take aggro, Blaster to shoot down the enemies, and yourself to monkey-wrench the hell out of any threats that aren't immediately brought low by the already considerable damage from the other two of them.  Not only that, but your Disruption Arrow will be a pretty sweet benefit to both of them, and your Oil Slicks will have PLENTY of opportunities to get ignited.  Hell!  Shoot your Oil Slick Arrow -into- the Assault Rifle's Ignites or the Fiery Aura's Burn patches.

Sounds like a really fun trio, actually . . . I might have to find a couple of people to roll it with me!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TemporalVileTerror said:

With that team?  Yeah.  Trick Arrow / Archery Defender definitely sounds appealing to me.  Brute to take aggro, Blaster to shoot down the enemies, and yourself to monkey-wrench the hell out of any threats that aren't immediately brought low by the already considerable damage from the other two of them.  Not only that, but your Disruption Arrow will be a pretty sweet benefit to both of them, and your Oil Slicks will have PLENTY of opportunities to get ignited.  Hell!  Shoot your Oil Slick Arrow -into- the Assault Rifle's Ignites or the Fiery Aura's Burn patches.

Sounds like a really fun trio, actually . . . I might have to find a couple of people to roll it with me!

You paint a good picture! You’re right, there does seem to be good synergy there.

Thanks for all your help. One more question the TA for either Blaster or Defender.... do you find one to be easier than the other? One more clicky or micro intensive?

• Thanks 1

Trick Arrow is definitely more clicky, since Tactical Arrow has those Toggles.  It is perhaps a downside to be aware of; you'll have a LOT of Powers to use.  Enough Powers that I'd recommend learning how to carefully analyze a situation in the heat of the moment before clicking your next Power.  Granted, with the Blaster and (especially) that Brute on your team, your margin for error will be more flexible.  Just be sure to lead off with the Flash Arrow.  The Brute should appreciate the To-Hit Debuffs, since Fiery Aura doesn't offer Defense.  After that, probably the Glue Arrow to keep enemies in roughly the right place (which you may want to Macro as a Ranged AoE Power with "/powexeclocation Target Glue Arrow") and then Disruption Arrow.  Eventually slipping Oil Slick in there when you get it.

Of course, I'll give full disclosure:  I'm not hardcore.

If someone more knowledgeable than me wants to chime in and correct any errors or misinformation I may have accidentally shared here, please do!

• Thanks 1

OH!  And Defender ATOs!

I find that Acid Arrow makes a good place to slot the full 6 pieces of Defender's Bastion for the AoE Heal Proc.  Your teammates will probably appreciate if you pick that up straight away at level 12.

Alternatively, you may want to consider the Achilles' Heel Chance for Resistance Debuff Proc in there.  But that would preclude you from getting the nice 6 piece Recharge Bonus from Defender's Bastion, and potentially necessitate looking for another place to slot that Set.

The Vigilant Assault Proc could be slotted there instead, and that way you could also fit the Achilles' Heel Proc, since the Area and Fire/Cold Defense Bonus may not be as important to you.  Really depends on if you plan to stay at range the whole time, or occasionally nudge in close to your Brute from time to time.

Poison Gas Arrow is a little more 'eh,' but you could slot the Sleep IO which Heals you in there.  It's rather tiny, but any Self Heal is better than none, right?

• Like 1

My vote goes to Archery/Trick Arrow corruptor. The corruptor debuffs are good enough, the damage is much better than on a defender, and you can skip Snap Shot.

I also have a /Tactical Arrow blaster, but all it brings to a team (other than damage) is Glue Arrow and Flash Arrow, the blaster versions of which are nothing to write home about.

• Like 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

8 minutes ago, Uun said:

My vote goes to Archery/Trick Arrow corruptor. The corruptor debuffs are good enough, the damage is much better than on a defender, and you can skip Snap Shot.

I also have a /Tactical Arrow blaster, but all it brings to a team (other than damage) is Glue Arrow and Flash Arrow, the blaster versions of which are nothing to write home about.

Ah, but a defender can skip Entangling Arrow

What this team needs is more Defenders

12 minutes ago, Uun said:

Yep.  If I didn’t need a Defender for the Barracuda SF, I would never have made one.  It is okie solo, but I really notice the lack of damage on teams.  It feels like I should not even bother using my secondary.  Corruptor all the way.  The Trick Arrow debuffs on Defender are overkill, and the Corruptor will do much more damage.

Edited by Apparition

1 hour ago, Psyonico said:

Ah, but a defender can skip Entangling Arrow

Which provides -res now, so not really worth skipping.

• Like 2

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

Defender Flash Arrow:

-9.38% To-Hit Unresistable

-9.38% To-Hit, Enhanceable up to approximately -15.008%

Ergo total potential To-Hit -24.388%

Purple Patch'd 50 vs 54 to around -16.58384%

Corruptor Flash Arrow:

-7.5% To-Hit Unresistable

-7.5% To-Hit, Enhanceable up to approximately -12%

Ergo total potential To-Hit -19.5%

Purple Patch'd 50 vs 54 to around -13.26%

(Disclosure:  I'm not 100% sure I necessarily did all this math correctly.  So, if anyone has corrections, please share!)

Soooo, yeah.  Maybe the 3.3% isn't that significant at the level cap for most people out there, but I'd personally still prefer the little extra buffer, since I don't build to max positional Defenses.

20 hours ago, TemporalVileTerror said:

Defender Flash Arrow:

-9.38% To-Hit Unresistable

-9.38% To-Hit, Enhanceable up to approximately -15.008%

Ergo total potential To-Hit -24.388%

Purple Patch'd 50 vs 54 to around -16.58384%

Corruptor Flash Arrow:

-7.5% To-Hit Unresistable

-7.5% To-Hit, Enhanceable up to approximately -12%

Ergo total potential To-Hit -19.5%

Purple Patch'd 50 vs 54 to around -13.26%

(Disclosure:  I'm not 100% sure I necessarily did all this math correctly.  So, if anyone has corrections, please share!)

Soooo, yeah.  Maybe the 3.3% isn't that significant at the level cap for most people out there, but I'd personally still prefer the little extra buffer, since I don't build to max positional Defenses.

The unresistable piece is enhanceable, so your potential tohit debuff is -30% for defenders and -24% for corruptors. 

• Thanks 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller