Can't connect to DBserver

Hexent

I stopped playing a while ago because I started getting an error on login. "Can't connect to DBserver". I can login, accept the agreement, but when I select a server the client locks up for a while and returns that error. I originally thought this was an issue with with my old computer. It was on its way out and could barely run anything. Now I have a new gaming computer and just installed a new client and am still getting this error.

The issue isn't with my computer itself. My internet is just fine. My account is 100% finished. Is there something I'm missing here? I installed the game exactly where the installer suggested so its not the install path either. Any help would be nice.

Since you can get to the login screen, try logging onto Reunion, create a toon there and try it out. There have been many who have had issues with the internet path that gets them to the US Servers in Canada, and it may be something between You and there. Reunion is in Germany so it uses a different path. Another thing is if you are on WiFi try a wired connection, CoH runs in real time so lost packets can be a killer. If you get on you can check for Latency using /Net_Graph 1, if you want a larger view use /Net_Graph 2, /Net_Graph 0 turns it off. Let us know what you find.

Edited by Marine X

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

Also it could be an Issue with the Firewall Settings of your Computer or even some Routers.

Try shut Down the Firewall for short time try if u can connect then if yes u need to add CoH to the Firewall exclusion, if problem persists the reason is somewhere else in that case turn firewall back on as fast u can.

Edited by SuggestorK

Former Player on Server:

Protector, Guardian, Virtue, Liberty, Freedom, Union and Defiant (Hero Side) and part Time Infinity

Justice, Pinnacle, Victory (Villain Side)

Currently Reunion is the Main Server

Seconding the firewall suggestion...  I don't know what you're using, but Norton loves to silently delete or block Homecoming files and connections.  (It deems them suspicious due to low usage among their userbase.)  I have to dig into it's logs to find and correct the problems.

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

• 3 months later

I just started getting this on my laptop,  Made sure all the CoH and Homecoming files had access through Windows firewall.  Has not been an issue before today.  Attempting to access Reunion gives the same results, you click on a server, nothing happens for a long time, and then it kicks you back to login with this message.  

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

If you are using a wired connection and do not have a Static Public IP Address, try plugging directly into your internet modem. You may need to reboot so you grab a new IP Address.

( or open a Command prompt and Type without quotations " ipconfig /release " press enter then type " ipconfig /renew " press enter )

See if you can connect that way. If so it is something in the router blocking the traffic. If that doesn't work reboot the modem and retry. Let us know how it goes.

Edited by Marine X
  • Thanks 1

Marine X

When I am at the clinic I use my mobile phone as a WiFi hotspot; the clinic wifi has too many improper and out of bounds opinions about what games I shouldn't play and what blogs I shou;ldn't read.  I was eventually able to get Bixby out of the way and reset the phone, which mostly solved the issue.  

• Like 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Paragon City can't afford to lose you, not even for a little while.

• Thumbs Up 1

Marine X

• 2 weeks later

Hoping that this subject runs close enough to the thread title that it's not considered hijacking: When I click the CoH icon on the desktop, the game launches, and immediately puts me into character creation; there is no server selection available.  I pick the character type/s from the list and then go load the costume I've saved previously.  I'm asked whether I want to go to the Tutorial or Atlas Park.  Regardless of which one I pick, the character is sent to the zone starting point, which is basically like Paragon Chat except that it's completely empty.  Every character that can be clicked on for dialogue/missions/etc. gives off absolutely nothing.  All doors that show a hand when the cursor is placed on them give an hourglass for a few seconds when clicked, then become a hand again.  Absolutely no character-specific powers are available; only Flight (numeric 1) and the torch emote (numeric 2) seem to work.  No emotes on the communication box at lower left will work; only an error message is given in the dialogue box.

When in character creation, clicking "Back" takes me to the login screen; I can now put the username and password in.  After doing so, clicking "Log In" then takes me to the Agreement page, where I click "Accept".  When this is done, "Select a Server" comes up - however. there is only one, "Unnamed", with a single green pip at the right.  Clicking on this results in a significant wait while the game music plays, and then "Can't connect to DBServer" appears.  Clicking "OK" here results in the sign-in page again, and inputting the password simply repeats the cycle.

While simply creating, or recreating, characters and running around the empty Tutorial zone and Atlas Park can be interesting, I would like to be able to meet up with other individuals on active servers and be able to make a contribution to keeping the game running at month's end.  If there is any guidance that can be given on this issue, I would very much appreciate it.  As a quick note, I am using an HP laptop with Windows 10 and 476 GB capacity.  The protocol is Wi-Fi 5, with a network band of 5 GHz, and a link speed (receive/transmit) of 520/520 Mbps.  I would hope that this would be more than sufficient to run the game in its current state; please let me know if I'm taking any incorrect steps or missing points in how to get to the active servers.  All thanks.

Sorry but it almost sounds like you are using Paragon Chat or Titan Icon. After you create a Forum Account you need to go to "Account" at the top of this page and create a game account.

Then download the Homecoming Launcher, be sure to install it to a folder directly on your main drive, not in a Windows controlled location like Program Files. The Launcher will then download the Game Client. All you should have on your desktop is the Launcher, not sure what you were logging into but you should see the 4 North American Shards and Reunion (EU).

Then you can create or recreate your Characters. Good Luck.

• Like 1

Marine X

Apologies for the delay; have been away for several days.

I am reaching a point of complete despair when it comes to attempting to interact with this game in its current state: no matter what, no matter how closely directions have been followed, I simply cannot access the game in its current state.  I am afraid that I will have to reach out to the game's current administration, technical professionals, the board population, anyone who can direct me to the proper individuals who will be able to clear up exactly what is being done wrong/what is going wrong.  The city in question is Toronto, Ontario, Canada; if there is anyone in this location, or who knows of someone in this area, who can be contacted directly for person-to-person, point-to-point guidelines on how to make this work, I would be most appreciative.

Apologies for the tone, but this has been the result of seemingly endless smashing of the head against a wall that refuses to break.  Hope to hear from qualified individuals soon.

Well if you haven't filed a support ticket that would be a good next step. It concerns me that in your initial post you mentioned clicking the COH icon, unless you created that, it should simply be Tequila or the Homecoming Launcher. The old client from when the game was live will not work. Also the launchers from other Private servers will not work as far as I've seen. Titan Icon from the Titan Network worked as you describe, it was a self hosted single player environment with no gameplay. Paragon Chat was a multi-player non-combat Roleplay Environment that was self hosted with an XXMP Server connection to allow players to interact. Neither of these will get you on Homecoming.

Have you downloaded the Homecoming Launcher? ( Preferred )

Have you downloaded Tequila?

Without one of these 2, you are not going to be able to access the Homecoming Servers.

Keep in mind these need to be installed in a non Windows Controlled location, Say in a Games Folder directly on your hard drive, not in Program files or on your Desktop.

Marine X