Extra Clear Enemy Level Info

Manifold

Currently, when enemies are a certain number of levels above or below your own, they have a name with a specific color above the targeting reticle. This is a useful feature, but only if you can distinguish between all the colors used (never a guarantee), and you know what the colors mean already. It would be nice if, maybe just between the name and healthbar, or next to the name, there was maybe an indicator in addition to name color? Something like a "+1" for yellows, "+2" for oranges, etc. This still requires a hint of knowledge, but should hopefully be a bit more obvious as to *why* that enemy who has a different marker under their name is murdering you much faster, or dies in one hit.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

You learn that in the tutorial.  Or, you take a few dirt naps and learn via the school of hard knocks.

/jranger

This, of course, does nothing for the times where someone can't actually see the difference between a red and a purple enemy all that clearly. And the tutorial also teaches you how to move with Q and E and WASD - it's full of both incredibly obvious information to many people with any pre-existing gaming experience, and tutorializing based on things not strictly Useful Yet. We just walked someone through a bit of the Praetorian tutorial yesterday and it was honestly a pretty rough time for information retention due to just how much was thrown in all at once, so... "It's in the tutorial" isn't the most helpful.

(That said, we appreciate you pointing that bit out, we didn't know it was in the tutorial because we skip the tutorial a lot due to our pre-existing game experience.)

Well, enemies have their level numbers listed already, so as long as you are aware of your own level, the calculation should be pretty simple to make.  That being said, it doesn't seem like it should be too difficult to have a small space that lists (EnemyLevel-PlayerLevel)...

On 2/19/2021 at 7:58 PM, Fidgetcetera said:

Currently, when enemies are a certain number of levels above or below your own, they have a name with a specific color above the targeting reticle. This is a useful feature, but only if you can distinguish between all the colors used (never a guarantee), and you know what the colors mean already. It would be nice if, maybe just between the name and healthbar, or next to the name, there was maybe an indicator in addition to name color? Something like a "+1" for yellows, "+2" for oranges, etc. This still requires a hint of knowledge, but should hopefully be a bit more obvious as to *why* that enemy who has a different marker under their name is murdering you much faster, or dies in one hit.

There's already a system similar to what you're describing in addition to the color scheme. To quote the wiki:

Depending on the relative challenge your target presents, you may see a set of triangles pointing either up or down directly below the name. A triangle pointing up indicates that your target is more powerful than you. A triangle pointing down indicates taht your target is less powerful than you. The more triangles you see, the greater the difference in power. If no triangles are present, your target is either equal to you, significantly greater than you, or significantly lower than you in power level.

These arrows exists for up to three ranks above or below you. Note that just like the color system they don't correspond exactly to level (an even-con lieutenant will still show yellow, for example, and will have one upward-pointing arrow in the target window).

All this being said, enemies do show their level in the targeting window and you can see your own level on your health/end/XP bar.

Edited by macskull
  • Thanks 1

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 28JAN22)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

19 minutes ago, macskull said:

There's already a system similar to what you're describing in addition to the color scheme.

Huh! We'd never managed to notice this at all, thank you! It would still be nice to see it on the reticle/hover at the same time as you'd see an enemy's name color, and maybe have a dedicated indicator for "too high" and "too low" to distinguish away from "same level as you", but. Yeah, this is good to know, thank you.

1 minute ago, Fidgetcetera said:

Huh! We'd never managed to notice this at all, thank you! It would still be nice to see it on the reticle/hover at the same time as you'd see an enemy's name color, and maybe have a dedicated indicator for "too high" and "too low" to distinguish away from "same level as you", but. Yeah, this is good to know, thank you.

I think the arrows do show up on mouse-over or target selection but I'm not 100% sure. I play with enemy names on all the time so I can easily pick out stuff without having to tab through everything.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 28JAN22)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

1 minute ago, macskull said:

I think the arrows do show up on mouse-over or target selection but I'm not 100% sure. I play with enemy names on all the time so I can easily pick out stuff without having to tab through everything.

...It totally does. How the hell have we missed this? Sorry, lmao.