Controller ATOs induce perverse slotting

Heraclea

One problem generally with the AT is that I find myself moving the controller ATOs out of early available powers that I slotted up, and end up giving slots to powers that I ordinarily would not (e.g. confuse powers) just to get them out of powers that do damage so I can slot damage oriented sets in them instead.  

Am I the only person who has this problem?  

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Like the Dominator ATOs I was bagging on yesterday, I do not use the Controller ATOs. I'll slot the procs somewhere for fun, but other than that, nope. The Controller and Dominator ATOs are the only ones that do not have a damage component and it is not okay. Even defenders and tankers ATOs add damage. The set bonuses are not that exciting, so there is no reason to gimp your damage just to fit them in. I use Purples or Winter Sets instead.

• Like 1

If I use them, I will put them in the AoE hold, Aoe immobilize or AoE stun where the lack of damage isn't an issue. It does annoy me that you can't 6-slot them in confuses or sleeps.

• Like 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

17 hours ago, Two Dollar Bill said:

I normally do slot the Controller ATOs in core powers, even if the powers can inflict damage. Since my Controllers basically never solo, I slot for control, or for set bonuses, and not so much for DPS.

There probably really isn't much of  a downside for doing that; the character is already mostly played on teams and built for team utility.  On the other hand, I probably get more value from sets like Lockdown and Basilisk Gaze than I do from the ATOs.  Right now, in the Dark/Electric that's my current project, I have both sets five slotted in the Confuse and Fear, which I don't really consider to be core powers. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

On 2/20/2021 at 1:07 PM, Uun said:

If I use them, I will put them in the AoE hold, Aoe immobilize or AoE stun where the lack of damage isn't an issue. It does annoy me that you can't 6-slot them in confuses or sleeps.

Ah yeah, good point. If I use them, I'll put a set in the AOE Hold.

I rarely use Overpowering Presence since it gives typed defenses and no recharge.

For Will of the Controller, the problem:

• I can't slot it in Sleep or non-notify powers.
  • I can't slot it in Confuse (because that's where Coercive Persuasion goes)
  • I can't slot it in AE Immobilize (because I want the Winter proc and/or damage)
  • I can't slot it in Hold (because of Unbreakable Constraint proc and/or Basilisk's Gaze)
  • I (obviously) can't slot them in powers whose only purpose is damage.

This pretty much leaves Spectral Terror and the AE Disorients.

• Like 1

I'm with you here, Heraclea.

I pretty much just steal the Energy Font proc and drop it in my immob or something else I'm proccing out. 

If I'm reeeeeally reaching for ranged softcap (I seldom bother to push all the way there on controllers - we have these things that keep mobs from hitting us in the first place!), I may drop superior will of the controller in my disorient or aoe hold. Otherwise again I just steal the proc for whatever power could benefit the most from another purple damage proc.

I can't really think of a situation where I'd slot out the entire Overpowering Presence set.

Maybe if there were reasons for controls to do more than shut down the alpha, it would be worthwhile. Maybe a really slow solo controller might appreciate it? Even then, it's sort of self-fulfilling - you're going to be slow if you don't take your damage where you can get it!