Staff Fighting Question

StriderIV

Hi all!

I'm currently designing a Dark Armor/Staff Fighting Tanker. Obviously you need to grab Mercurial Blow as a Tanker. I've seen some than just jump to Guarded Spin, while others also pick up Precise Strike.

Is it important to pick up Precise Strike as well in order to have another way to build up perfection in your attack chain?

Also, are there any powers in either Dark Armor or Staff Fighting you would recommend to skip over?

Thanks in advance!

I have a Bio/Staff tank and a Dark/Savage tank.  For Staff I took every single attack chain because I could fit it in and I liked more attacks.  On the dark armor side I skipped OP Gloom and Soul Transfer.  Soul Transfer just because you can buy a similar power from the P2W vendor.  OP Gloom I never really liked a power that you have to use your own HP to achieve a goal and while it does disorient I've found that with cloak of fear baddies are scared anyway plus have a -to hit so it's a win/win.  Like Apparition said don't skip Serpent's Reach as it is a ranged and nice power.  What else are you looking to do with the tank?  Epic set?  I did not take an epic with my Bio/Staff tank as I focused more on the leadership set and with Staff (even though the animation to pull it out is short) I have the idea of putting it away for like an AoE fireball.

3 hours ago, Apparition said:

The only Staff Fighting attack I would skip is Precise Strike since you have to take Mercurial Blow.  Serpent's Reach should definitely not be skipped as it is a ranged attack and every melee character should have at least one ranged attack, IMO.

Good to know, and it makes total sense when you put it like that haha. Thanks Apparition.

3 hours ago, Perfect Weapon said:

I have a Bio/Staff tank and a Dark/Savage tank.  For Staff I took every single attack chain because I could fit it in and I liked more attacks.  On the dark armor side I skipped OP Gloom and Soul Transfer.  Soul Transfer just because you can buy a similar power from the P2W vendor.  OP Gloom I never really liked a power that you have to use your own HP to achieve a goal and while it does disorient I've found that with cloak of fear baddies are scared anyway plus have a -to hit so it's a win/win.  Like Apparition said don't skip Serpent's Reach as it is a ranged and nice power.  What else are you looking to do with the tank?  Epic set?  I did not take an epic with my Bio/Staff tank as I focused more on the leadership set and with Staff (even though the animation to pull it out is short) I have the idea of putting it away for like an AoE fireball.

First: Love your name haha. It does seem like Staff has a nice flow to it where you can take every power. I MIGHT skip out on precise, since I was forced to take Mercurial, and get both Innocuous Strikes and Serpent's Reach. For Epic sets, I was thinking of going for body mastery, for physical perfection. Just as another way to help deal with Dark's endurance issues (and also not have to deal with the redraw, like you say :P)

Edited by StriderIV
Spelling!

I'll second/third/nth the taking of everything in Staff save Precise Strike. Will also mention that - depending on set bonus chasing of course - you can slot Achilles' Heel resdebuff into Mercurial Blow, LotG+rech into Guarded Spin, and FF+rech into Eye of the Storm, Serpent's Reach and Sky Splitter. If you're into that 🙂

• Like 1

@Cutter

So many alts, so little time...

6 minutes ago, Cutter said:

I'll second/third/nth the taking of everything in Staff save Precise Strike. Will also mention that - depending on set bonus chasing of course - you can slot Achilles' Heel resdebuff into Mercurial Blow, LotG+rech into Guarded Spin, and FF+rech into Eye of the Storm, Serpent's Reach and Sky Splitter. If you're into that 🙂

Cutter, you always come through with gold. I was thinking of at least 3 slotting Eye of the Storm with Fury of the Gladiator to get the KB Resist to try and help cover that hole for DA. A FF+rech could fit in there quite nicely 😛 I know that the Tanker Mecurial Blow already has the -res portion, but I guess even more is better in this case? haha

1 hour ago, StriderIV said:

Cutter, you always come through with gold. I was thinking of at least 3 slotting Eye of the Storm with Fury of the Gladiator to get the KB Resist to try and help cover that hole for DA. A FF+rech could fit in there quite nicely 😛 I know that the Tanker Mecurial Blow already has the -res portion, but I guess even more is better in this case? haha

I'm 99.9% sure the -res in all Tanker T1s was removed in The Buffening last January (the patch notes don't mention it, but I'm sure that was the tradeoff for the raised base damage & cap). Mercurial Blow does have a -def effect (which is what allows slotting the proc).

As for KB resist in Dark Armour, my go-to tends to be a couple of the +4pt uniques in travel/defensive powers, and 6-slotting Overwhelming Force into Death Shroud. 12 points covers like 98% of the kb out there, and what's left is so far over that you'll never get there alone.

• Like 1

@Cutter

6 minutes ago, StriderIV said:

Good to know! And good idea on Overwhelming force. I noticed a lot of people slot Superior Might of the Tanker there. Where would you slot that instead?

My slotting is likely out-of-date, but I run 5 MotT (no proc) + FF in Eye, and the MotT proc + 5 Scirocco in Lightning Field (I don't need either 6th slot bonus).

• Like 1

@Cutter

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.3
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Tanker
Primary Power Set: Dark Armor
Secondary Power Set: Staff Fighting
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Energy Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Death Shroud -- Mlt-Acc/Dmg(A), Mlt-Dmg/EndRdx(3), Mlt-Dmg/Rchg(3), Mlt-Acc/EndRdx(5), Mlt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), Mlt-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(7)
Level 1: Mercurial Blow -- Hct-Dmg(A), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(7), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), Hct-Acc/Rchg(9), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(11), Hct-Dam%(11)
Level 2: Dark Embrace -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(13), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(13), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(15), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(36), UnbGrd-Max HP%(36)
Level 4: Murky Cloud -- TtnCtn-ResDam(A), TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx(15), TtnCtn-ResDam/Rchg(17), TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(17)
Level 6: Obsidian Shield -- TtnCtn-ResDam(A), TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx(19), TtnCtn-ResDam/Rchg(19), TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(21)
Level 8: Dark Regeneration -- TchoftheN-Heal(A), TchoftheN-Heal/HP/Regen/Rchg(21), TchoftheN-Acc/Heal(23), TchoftheN-Acc/EndRdx/Heal/HP/Regen(23), TchoftheN-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(25), TchoftheN-%Dam(25)
Level 10: Guarded Spin -- SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg(A), SprMghoft-Dmg/Rchg(27), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(27), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(29), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(29), SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(31)
Level 12: Cloak of Darkness -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(31), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(31), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(33)
Level 14: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 16: Eye of the Storm -- SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(A), SprGntFis-Dmg/Rchg(37), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(39), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(39)
Level 18: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(34)
Level 20: Staff Mastery 
Level 22: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(33), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(33), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(34), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(34)
Level 24: Combat Jumping -- Rct-ResDam%(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(50)
Level 26: Super Jump -- Jump-I(A)
Level 28: Acrobatics -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 30: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(36), LucoftheG-Def(48), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(50), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 32: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 35: Innocuous Strikes -- Arm-Dmg(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(39), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), Arm-Acc/Rchg(40), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(40), Arm-Dam%(42)
Level 38: Sky Splitter -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(42), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(42), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(43), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(43)
Level 41: Focused Accuracy -- GssSynFr--ToHit(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(46), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(46), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(46), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(48), GssSynFr--Build%(48)
Level 44: Physical Perfection -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 47: Soul Transfer -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 49: Taunt -- Taunt-I(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Gauntlet 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod(A), PrfShf-EndMod/Rchg(45), PrfShf-EndMod/Acc(45), PrfShf-End%(45)
Level 1: Combo Level 1 
Level 1: Combo Level 2 
Level 1: Combo Level 3 
Level 20: Form of the Body 
Level 20: Form of the Mind 
Level 20: Form of the Soul 
Level 50: Cardiac Core Paragon 
Level 50: Paralytic Radial Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Ageless Core Epiphany 
Level 50: Melee Radial Embodiment 
------------

Edited by Tamorand
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Tamorand said:

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.3
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Tanker
Primary Power Set: Dark Armor
Secondary Power Set: Staff Fighting
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Energy Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Death Shroud -- Mlt-Acc/Dmg(A), Mlt-Dmg/EndRdx(3), Mlt-Dmg/Rchg(3), Mlt-Acc/EndRdx(5), Mlt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), Mlt-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(7)
Level 1: Mercurial Blow -- Hct-Dmg(A), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(7), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), Hct-Acc/Rchg(9), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(11), Hct-Dam%(11)
Level 2: Dark Embrace -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(13), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(13), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(15), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(36), UnbGrd-Max HP%(36)
Level 4: Murky Cloud -- TtnCtn-ResDam(A), TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx(15), TtnCtn-ResDam/Rchg(17), TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(17)
Level 6: Obsidian Shield -- TtnCtn-ResDam(A), TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx(19), TtnCtn-ResDam/Rchg(19), TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(21)
Level 8: Dark Regeneration -- TchoftheN-Heal(A), TchoftheN-Heal/HP/Regen/Rchg(21), TchoftheN-Acc/Heal(23), TchoftheN-Acc/EndRdx/Heal/HP/Regen(23), TchoftheN-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(25), TchoftheN-%Dam(25)
Level 10: Guarded Spin -- SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg(A), SprMghoft-Dmg/Rchg(27), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(27), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(29), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(29), SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(31)
Level 12: Cloak of Darkness -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(31), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(31), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(33)
Level 14: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 16: Eye of the Storm -- SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(A), SprGntFis-Dmg/Rchg(37), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(39), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(39)
Level 18: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(34)
Level 20: Staff Mastery 
Level 22: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(33), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(33), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(34), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(34)
Level 24: Combat Jumping -- Rct-ResDam%(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(50)
Level 26: Super Jump -- Jump-I(A)
Level 28: Acrobatics -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 30: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(36), LucoftheG-Def(48), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(50), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 32: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 35: Innocuous Strikes -- Arm-Dmg(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(39), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), Arm-Acc/Rchg(40), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(40), Arm-Dam%(42)
Level 38: Sky Splitter -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(42), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(42), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(43), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(43)
Level 41: Focused Accuracy -- GssSynFr--ToHit(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(46), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(46), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(46), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(48), GssSynFr--Build%(48)
Level 44: Physical Perfection -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 47: Soul Transfer -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 49: Taunt -- Taunt-I(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Gauntlet 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod(A), PrfShf-EndMod/Rchg(45), PrfShf-EndMod/Acc(45), PrfShf-End%(45)
Level 1: Combo Level 1 
Level 1: Combo Level 2 
Level 1: Combo Level 3 
Level 20: Form of the Body 
Level 20: Form of the Mind 
Level 20: Form of the Soul 
Level 50: Cardiac Core Paragon 
Level 50: Paralytic Radial Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Ageless Core Epiphany 
Level 50: Melee Radial Embodiment 
------------

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this man! 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Cutter said:

My slotting is likely out-of-date, but I run 5 MotT (no proc) + FF in Eye, and the MotT proc + 5 Scirocco in Lightning Field (I don't need either 6th slot bonus).

Great! If I felt so inclined, I could even swap the 2 sets. Overwhelming force is a great option