Stalker newb question EM/DA

TinyBolt

Hi everyone, I felt like I never gave stalkers a fair shake back when the game was originally around. I rolled a electric melee/dark armor stalker.

Are there are any powers I should absolutely avoid as a stalker? I'm guessing I should be focusing on single target attacks and avoid the AoE capabilities of EM. I'm usually all about AoEs since I do support and if I melee, I play brutes. So my guiding philosophy was going to be "Just do the opposite of how you normally play" but any additional tips would be cool beans.

Contrary to there being powers to absolutely avoid, I always felt that Stalkers have possibly the worst case of "gotta take everything!" of all the archetypes. I was never even able to get a Stalker out of low levels until they made Fitness inherent because I just couldn't find a build that didn't feel like it was missing something essential until the 30s or so.

I would avoid Placate and Thunder Strike from ElM; avoid Soul Transfer from DA.

Placate is detrimental to a Stalker's dps. Deliberately going into hide, slows Assassin Strike and slows building stacks of Assassin's Focus. I find it counterproductive.

Thunder Strike's cast time is too long. When teaming, a lot of stuff gets killed in 3.5 seconds. Often it will be a wasted move.

I don't like the idea of Soul Transfer. Needing to die to make it usable. Create an uber build so that it's never needed.

I like to min/max builds and found ElM/DA impossible to get to where i wanted it to be. You might be able to with the changes i24/25 brings to the game.

I find Placate useful. However, StrikerFox is absolutely right about it slowing down Assassin Strike. For me, its best use is triggering hide to allow your most powerful attack *other* than Assassin Strike to automatically crit.