more Force Field ideas

Wavicle

Personal Force Field: Add Sleep Protection. In addition, when you turn OFF the PFF you get a moderate damage bonus for 10 seconds (effect only available once a minute).

Force Bolt: Add strong non-stacking -Damage.

Detention Field: Becomes a toggle that turns off automatically after 30 seconds. Mobs in proximity to the Detention Field are Immobilized.

Repulsion Field: Remove the additional endurance cost per enemy effected.

Force Bubble: Caster and allies within the bubble gain endurance over time. When the bubble is turned off all inside gain a moderate damage bonus for 15 seconds (effect only available once a minute). 

Edited by Wavicle
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later

I like the original post ideas. Especially force bubble. It needs something more then just keep thing away. Gorse bubble should get some defense or resistance enhancements

Plus Dispersion Bubble is so sub par to Electric Affinity faraday cage. So that should be looked at too. 

On 3/26/2021 at 7:11 AM, Wavicle said:

Detention Field: Becomes a toggle that turns off automatically after 30 seconds. Mobs in proximity to the Detention Field are Immobilized.

NO.

Please stop trying to RUIN this power. I enjoy it the way it is. 

3 minutes ago, Zeraphia said:

NO.

Please stop trying to RUIN this power. I enjoy it the way it is. 

How does my suggestion ruin the power? My suggestion literally doesn’t remove any of the functionality that it currently has. 30 seconds maximum duration, only now you can turn it off when you want to.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

How does my suggestion ruin the power? My suggestion literally doesn’t remove any of the functionality that it currently has. 30 seconds maximum duration, only now you can turn it off when you want to.

Because I don't want a recharge, I want a power that lasts permanently on an enemy if I want it to. I don't care however you repackage that, I like the power how it is, and anything less than how it is, is a net nerf.

On 3/26/2021 at 4:11 AM, Wavicle said:

2 hours ago, Zeraphia said:

Because I don't want a recharge, I want a power that lasts permanently on an enemy if I want it to. I don't care however you repackage that, I like the power how it is, and anything less than how it is, is a net nerf.

2 hours ago, Wavicle said:

OK I have to apologize if I misunderstand how the power works. It was my belief that currently it has a 30 seconds maximum duration. Is that wrong?

If you turn detention field into a toggle, then the recharge does not begin until you detoggle it, meaning it cannot be made permanent on anything, or used on multiple targets with enough recharge. 

Currently on fire.

Here are some of the things I'd like to see for force fields:

Force Bolt: -damage was a great suggestion to add to this power. I'd like to see it dealing -res and/or -def as well, all non stacking. 4-8s duration. As a power that is extremely disruptive towards an enemy being able to fight back or defend oneself, I believe any or all of these debuffs would fit in.

Force Bolt: Attacking an enemy caged by detention field disabled the phase effect. (possible coding issue)

Repulsion Bomb: Reduce animation time from 3.07s to 1.67s (same as neutron bomb from rad blast). Reduce recharge from 30s to 16s.

Repulsion Field: Replace with Gravity-Singularity's new reverse repel vortex effect.

Force Bubble: Redesign completely from the ground up. There's no saving this one.

Currently on fire.

I like force fields. But in the current game it does need some love.  Here some ideas I was thinking of

force bolt

more damage

chance to splatter 

Mag 2 stun

repulsion bomb

faster animation 

more damage

mag 2 stun 

force bubble

tighter radius

absorption buff or endurance buff

mag 2 stun if foes touch it

detention field 

I like how the power works but team mate don’t. 

Lower recharge 

toggle to use

the finial thing that bugs me about power set like thermal, ice, and bubbles is the caster can’t gain any buff from there shields. It always bothered me. I wish we could gain buffs from our own powers. Even if it’s half of what teammates get that would be cool. 

again these are just some ideas  to make FF better from my point of view 

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

I think any changes need to simply add to what is already there, or if something has to be really significantly changed then it needs to still basically offer what it did before in some other way.

The problem with force fields is that it is so obtusely one dimensional that keeping the status quo is not going to help it adapt to modern day CoH. 

Edited by DreadShinobi
  • Sad 1

Currently on fire.

3 minutes ago, DreadShinobi said:

The problem with force fields is that it is so obtusely one dimensional that keeping the status quo is not going to help it adapt to modern day CoH. 

I think my suggestions do. You can put up Force Bubble in between spawns and then drop it to attack, giving your whole team a damage buff. The exact balancing of the internal cooldown and strength of the damage buff would have to be tweaked. Maybe once a minute isn't often enough. Maybe there is no internal cooldown, I dunno.

My issue with force bubble is that the radius is too large and the repel effect is both hard to have consistent control over as well as often counterproductive. To be completely honest I wouldn't want to see your suggestion to force bubble providing a damage buff, or provide an endurance buff/absorption buff that Spectre mentioned because then people might actually not skip the power without a second glance and try to use it with all the detrimental effects of the Repel effect intact. 

• Sad 1

Currently on fire.

What force fields does well:

-Outstanding defensive buffs for teams

-Mez protection for self and nearby allies

What makes force fields lacking:

-Purely buffing the defense stat is undesirable at endgame 

-The powerset is extremely passive.

-Powers that interact with enemies:

---have extremely niche usage or are undesirable outside of correct usage (detention field)

---have no real value at all (personal force field)

---are lacking in impact by means of an actual debuff or relevant damage (force bolt)

---have an inappropriate cast time and recharge (repulsion bomb)

---can be replaced by a pool power that everyone hates anyways (whirlwind) and has excessive endurance cost (repulsion field)

---competes with time bomb for worst t9 in the game (force bubble)

There are 3 powers that people will roll a force fields character for: Insulation Shield, Deflection Shield, Dispersion Bubble. These are great powers, but along with the rest of the set do not actually help convert enemies into xp or mission objectives to completion because it is so excessively passive.

Force Fields faces much competition from its fellow support sets that do more than just making everyone very difficult to kill off:

Thermal- provides +res shielding, healing, damage buffs, resistance debuffs, -regen

Cold Dom- provides +def shielding, an aura, resistance debuffs, -regen

Time- provides team +def, healing, +rchg, +recov, resistance debuffs, crowd control

Sonic- provides +res shielding, mez prot, resistance debuffs

Empathy is probably the closest comparison to what Force Fields actually does, and the consensus about Empathy is about the same. It is one dimensional.

Currently on fire.