Bodyguard the -same- as Resistance?

Crysis

Was flipping through some old posts and ran across this little gem from Pax...

I know how BG mode works, and always considered it the same as Resistance for damage calculation purposes.  Of course, it's dynamic based on the number of pets you have out and whether or not they are all in the appropriate stance, etc.  In fact, BG mode is why I generally build for Defense caps on MM's first to have layered mitigation capabilities.  Rune or Hybrid Melee or even one of the Epic +RES shields was my backup if I needed more RES than what I could natively attain from my secondary and BG mode combined.

But my question is....does the BG damage-sharing effect basically always come out to the same as +RES for damage-taken purposes?  In other words, it's a +RES to all damage types and thus 'stacks' with whatever other native +RES I'm already running?

Finally, I don't suppose there's anyway to show this in MIDS is there?  I may be grossly overslotting some of my builds for +RES that don't really need it once you factor in BG mode.

6 hours ago, Crysis said:

Was flipping through some old posts and ran across this little gem from Pax...

I know how BG mode works, and always considered it the same as Resistance for damage calculation purposes.  Of course, it's dynamic based on the number of pets you have out and whether or not they are all in the appropriate stance, etc.  In fact, BG mode is why I generally build for Defense caps on MM's first to have layered mitigation capabilities.  Rune or Hybrid Melee or even one of the Epic +RES shields was my backup if I needed more RES than what I could natively attain from my secondary and BG mode combined.

But my question is....does the BG damage-sharing effect basically always come out to the same as +RES for damage-taken purposes?  In other words, it's a +RES to all damage types and thus 'stacks' with whatever other native +RES I'm already running?

Finally, I don't suppose there's anyway to show this in MIDS is there?  I may be grossly overslotting some of my builds for +RES that don't really need it once you factor in BG mode.

Bodyguard mode is just a straight division. Its not actually +resistance, though is it affected by your resistance before the division. The math that is quoted there is actually wrong, as a 1,000 points of damage S/L hit would first be reduced to 700 (due to the 30% resistance the Mastermind has) then divided again, into N+2 parts, where N is the number of pets you have. You, as the Mastermind takes 2 parts, and each pet takes 1 part. So, that 1000 damage hit, gets reduced to 175 damage to you, 87.5 damage to each of your pets.

Effectively giving you 91.25% resistance. It gets really nice when you have 50% or higher resistance, as the initial hit is reduced by your resistance first. So that same 1000 point hit, is reduced to 500, then split by bodyguard mode, (each part doing 62.5 damage) so you take 125 damage, and each pet takes 62.5 damage. Giving you an effective resistance value of 93.75% resistance.

Also if your affected by -resistance, bodyguard mode still works, so if you have say -30% resistance, and that same 1000 damage attack lands, you take 325 damage, and each pet takes 162.5 damage. Bodyguard mode is still providing you with 75% resistance (even though you're technically at -30% resistance on your attribute list)

The pet resistance isn't factored in, but any absorb shields would soak the damage first. So if you put absorb on your pets, and then take a hit that triggers bodyguard mode, the bodyguard mode damage the pets take is subtracted from the absorb shield.

Edited by Arbegla
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Hopestar said:

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Inherent_Powers#Supremacy

So if you get hit for 500 damage and have 75% resistance, you take 31.25 damage and your henchmen each take 15.625 whilst in bodyguard mode.

((500-(500*.75))/8) = 15.625 damage per part, which you take 2 parts. so 31.25.

The 500 damage is reduced by your resistance first, then divided by bodyguard mode.

Its not a straight 75% reduction in damage, it just divides any damage you take into N+2 parts, where N is the number of pets you have, and you take 2 parts.

So the formula is something like ((Damage - (damage * (resistance as a percent)) / (N+2) = Damage per part. Multiply by 2 to get the damage you take.

Same 500 point hit with 75% resistance:
1 pet: 1 + 2 = 3, so per part damage is 41.67, You take 83.33 damage
2 pets: 2 + 2 = 4, so per part damage is 31.25, You take 62.5 damage
3 pets: 3 + 2 = 5, so per part damage is 25, you take 50 damage

4 pets: 4 + 2 = 6, so per part damage is 20.83, you take 41.67 damage
5 pets: 5 + 2 = 7, so per part damage is 17.86, you take 35.71 damage
6 pets: 6 + 2 = 8, so per part damage is 15.625, you take 31.25 damage.

Edited by Arbegla