Advancement in the Powerset Underworld, Soul Melee Powerset Proposal

Hello once again. I decided to do a new powerset proposal, It's another melee set that I always had for months however I found difficulty at finding the right time to release it. However I'm going to release it anyway because I want to highlight the work of @Rylas who colored the icons for this set to display great contribution he had on the design and coloring for this set. The theme for this set is soul, (no not the movie...) I always thought it would be interesting to utilize the the Drudges enemy faction from Night Ward as a powerset, however as I made it I ultimately went a different route. I thought that since I released the Spirituality it would be a great time to finally release the set instead of keeping it postponed as I have been. This set will focus on manipulating another's soul or enhancing your soul to create constructs as an extension of your will. So of course once again...

Special thanks to @Rylas, for the icon coloring for this set was his work many thanks for creating the design it was a tremendous help, especially for the dark purple background for the icon.

- Omnibus

Presenting the long awaiting (On My End)...

Soul Melee

Soul Melee allows the user to reshape their soul to conjure objects as an extension of their will. The user directly targets their opponents soul to decay them upon impact, as well as absorbing and manipulating surrounding souls to deal more fatal blows.

Brute and Scrapper 

Soul Melee is available as a primary set for Scrappers and BrutesThe following table shows which powers are available and at what level:

Power Level Effect
1859306634_1SoulStrike.png.f29f8f9acd48dcad3d2eb8d0609bdd60.png Soul Strike 1 Melee, Moderate DoT (Negative/Smash) +Permeable, Foe -Recovery 
1297096658_2PhantomLance.png.2fcd23f0b5dd789e9dbf75fb517901cc.png Phantom Lance 1 Melee, High DoT (Lethal/Negative) +Permeable, Foe -Recovery, Slight Knockdown, -To-Hit  
2088617934_3SoulFunnel.png.ecb7eeafd6aa9783e4e4fbaf8d9db779.png Soul Funnel 2 Melee, Moderate Damage (Toxic/Negative/Smash) +Permeable, Foe Knockup, Disorient, -To-Hit 
1968776810_4CorpsedConduit.png.890354788973b12d8e54af4e51ea95ff.png Corpsed Conduit 6 Self: +Damage +To-Hit +Res (Negative, Toxic) Foe Slow
476239162_5SoulSweep.png.bfb1719537bf7f8d3a723b14f9344ca9.png Soul Sweep 8 Melee, (Cone) High Damage (Toxic/Negative/Smash) +Permeable, Foe Knockback, Slow, -To-Hit  
357435783_6Revenant.png.14ef5de2efa841d2f327c9daeae7a34f.png Revenant 12

Summon Revenant (Special)

1301718011_7SeizedSoul.png.dcdf3c26e9c00963ad6aa40c190f3dfb.png Seized Soul 18 Ranged, Foe Confuse
821924717_8GrimShadowLance.png.6fae08f2e2a43c1336d8363c6ccb09b1.png Grim Shadow Lance 26 Melee, Superior DoT (Negative/Lethal/Fire) +Permeable, Foe Disorient
1699001143_9Mortuary.png.0443d1a959b3bce8263738e18e8e184e.png Mortuary 32 PBAoE, High DoT (Negative/Lethal/Cold)+Permeable, Foe Knockdown, Disorient, Sleep, -Perception, -Endurance

Stalker

Soul Melee is available as a primary set for StalkersThe following table shows which powers are available and at what level:

Power Level Effect
1859306634_1SoulStrike.png.f29f8f9acd48dcad3d2eb8d0609bdd60.png Soul Strike 1 Melee, Moderate DoT (Negative/Smash) +Permeable, Foe -Recovery 
1297096658_2PhantomLance.png.2fcd23f0b5dd789e9dbf75fb517901cc.png Phantom Lance 1 Melee, High DoT (Lethal/Negative) +Permeable, Foe -Recovery, Slight Knockdown, -To-Hit  
2088617934_3SoulFunnel.png.ecb7eeafd6aa9783e4e4fbaf8d9db779.png Soul Funnel 2 Melee, Moderate Damage (Toxic/Negative/Smash) +Permeable, Foe Knockup, Disorient, -To-Hit 
1555070859_NecromancersStrike.png.cb218cf7df8717a044f2e92451bba8a7.png Necromancer's Strike 6 Melee, Special Damage(Smashing/Negative) Foe -Recovery, -To Hit, Fear
1968776810_4CorpsedConduit.png.890354788973b12d8e54af4e51ea95ff.png Corpsed Conduit 8 Self: +Damage +To-Hit +Res (Negative, Toxic) Foe Slow
Placate.png.9fad8ba65106e1aa3cf6c9c020907855.png Placate 12

Ranged, Foe Placate, Self Stealth/Hide

476239162_5SoulSweep.png.bfb1719537bf7f8d3a723b14f9344ca9.png Soul Sweep 18 Melee, (Cone) High Damage (Toxic/Negative/Smash) +Permeable, Foe Knockback, Slow, -To-Hit  
1301718011_7SeizedSoul.png.dcdf3c26e9c00963ad6aa40c190f3dfb.png Seized Soul 26 Ranged, Foe Confuse
821924717_8GrimShadowLance.png.6fae08f2e2a43c1336d8363c6ccb09b1.png Grim Shadow Lance 32 Melee, Superior DoT (Negative/Lethal/Fire) +Permeable, Foe Disorient

Powers

These are the following powers in the Soul Melee powerset

Permeable.png.232ccd29daeccedb61a434d96631077a.png Permeable

Improves most Soul Melee powers while active. When active the usable becomes intangible or phased however able to attack foes for a limited time. After the limit the player becomes unable to access this ability until Permeable Negation wares off. Permeable Negation last a minute after Permeable is active.

1859306634_1SoulStrike.png.f29f8f9acd48dcad3d2eb8d0609bdd60.png Soul Punch

You extend your soul and cast it outward onto your opponent, striking their own soul limiting their ability to recover. Deals Moderate DoT

1297096658_2PhantomLance.png.2fcd23f0b5dd789e9dbf75fb517901cc.png Phantom Lance

You create a construct of your soul in the shape of a jagged blade, damaging your opponents soul upon your personal grasp upon impact. Deals High DoT

2088617934_3SoulFunnel.png.ecb7eeafd6aa9783e4e4fbaf8d9db779.png Soul Funnel

You unleash a whirlpool of souls from surrounding foes absorbing their souls, confining within them storm, draining their very essence.. Deals Moderate damage.

1555070859_NecromancersStrike.png.cb218cf7df8717a044f2e92451bba8a7.png Necromancer's Strike

A signature stalker attack, this move harnesses the underworld through the casters mastery of necromancy. Dealing a devastating amount of damage. However, if it is executed while you are Hidden, this attack will do tremendous damage, as you waylay your unsuspecting foe with all the powers of darkness. This attack may be interrupted if you move or are attacked while executing this power.

1968776810_4CorpsedConduit.png.890354788973b12d8e54af4e51ea95ff.png Corpsed Conduit

You channel the energy of the surrounding souls to enhance your combat performance, as well as draining the energy nearby foes.

476239162_5SoulSweep.png.bfb1719537bf7f8d3a723b14f9344ca9.png Soul Sweep

You summon a swarm of souls that rapidly bombard foes within a conical range of the caster knocking them back, carrying the souls with them, Deals High damage.

357435783_6Revenant.png.14ef5de2efa841d2f327c9daeae7a34f.png Revenant

You sacrifice the soul of a defeated opponent in order for your to summon an undead ally, aiding you in combat. This summoning uses a variety of Soul Melee abilities that degrades an enemies defense. When Revenant is active it increase the caster DoT, as well as adding time towards Permeable increasing its usage. Lasts for 1 minute. 

1301718011_7SeizedSoul.png.dcdf3c26e9c00963ad6aa40c190f3dfb.png Seized Soul

You capture the soul of your opponent on a target of your choosing, possessing the target to attack it allies for a short period of time, whilst dealing damage as their soul slowly resist your grasp.

821924717_8GrimShadowLance.png.6fae08f2e2a43c1336d8363c6ccb09b1.png Grim Shadow Lance

Your mastery of necromancy allows you to harness the essence of the Grim reaper into you blade, the move scorches an opponents soul burning them for a short period of time as their soul slowly seeps into the underworld.

1699001143_9Mortuary.png.0443d1a959b3bce8263738e18e8e184e.png Mortuary

You open a rift into the underworld itself, this move encompasses a large area around the caster dragging all opponents soul around the caster to the realm of shadow gnawing away at their essence as they feel the cold presence of death.

Epilogue

Thanks for guys for reading my most recent powerset. I have been doing this for some time and always enjoy looking new powersets that could be implemented. As you may have noticed this is a light proposal, I still do very well have intent on seeing such an idea like having more playable aspects of this sets inspiration, the Drudges to be more interactive. I hope you enjoyed this alternative route I took rather than just using the existing Drudge powers that exist. Thanks for reading this far, as always I usually have minor pun before ending my proposal, however if you don't have response I will eat your soul....

Enjoy 😉

Edited by OmnibusOmnh
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Interesting concept.  So its primary unique mechanic is it can make the user intangible for a short period (I'm assuming it would still allow you to continue attacking foes while you cannot be harmed).  Overall, pretty neat but kinda unfair.  To help balance it, maybe have a similar "lock out" period like Psi Melee and Savage Melee have with their mechanics but there would be an obvious reason why you'd be locked out of the permeable state whereas it doesn't make sense why you're locked out of Insight.

The revenant thing is a bit wonky and I see no mention of Taunt, which every set has and I see no mention in your post why it's absent.

Overall, this set reminds me of a set I created, partially because I could possibly see creating this set as a reanimated version of Dark Melee or Psi Melee.  If you chose one of those to copy the powerset activations while creating the new animations, you could make them swappable so your cool new Soul Melee animations could be used for that other set too.

To elaborate on that, the suggested set I made was a 2-handed melee weapon set but with activation times that mimicked Battle Axe so you could have a 1-handed version of my proposed set or a 2-handed version of Battle Axe.  You can read more about the idea here:

Edited by Leogunner
  • Like 2

Seems like Psi melee but with an actually powerful secondary mechanic.

Considering the defensive nature of Permeable, I'd ditch the single target confuse for an attack or that "soul extraction" pet but you don't say what the pet actually does.  Does it debuff enemies?  Does it buff/heal the user?  Does it attack or taunt?  What might be good is making the Revenant soul pet like a Photon Seeker that kind of explodes on a target when it aggros, doing some moderate damage but somehow improving your own attacks by reducing the foe's resistance to negative energy or maybe enabling your attacks to do more DoT.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2021 at 2:30 PM, Leogunner said:

Interesting concept.  So its primary unique mechanic is it can make the user intangible for a short period (I'm assuming it would still allow you to continue attacking foes while you cannot be harmed).  Overall, pretty neat but kinda unfair.  To help balance it, maybe have a similar "lock out" period like Psi Melee and Savage Melee have with their mechanics but there would be an obvious reason why you'd be locked out of the permeable state whereas it doesn't make sense why you're locked out of Insight.

The revenant thing is a bit wonky and I see no mention of Taunt, which every set has and I see no mention in your post why it's absent.

Overall, this set reminds me of a set I created, partially because I could possibly see creating this set as a reanimated version of Dark Melee or Psi Melee.  If you chose one of those to copy the powerset activations while creating the new animations, you could make them swappable so your cool new Soul Melee animations could be used for that other set too.

To elaborate on that, the suggested set I made was a 2-handed melee weapon set but with activation times that mimicked Battle Axe so you could have a 1-handed version of my proposed set or a 2-handed version of Battle Axe.  You can read more about the idea here:

Hey @Leogunner, sorry for the absence, heard your criticism of the Permeable, great assumption that is exactly how I intended soul melees Permeable to work apologies on not being specific, as it would be unfair to phase in and out at will. There is now a lookout after 25 sec of usage of Permeable.

As for Revenant it is an already an existing concept in the game, creating a pet from a defeated foe, an example of such power is the similarly related Soul Extraction from Necromancy, it would work similarly to that. You'd be able to activate it only on a foe you defeated not at will it will only work on a defeated foe.

Hope that this clarifies thinks up. Saw your post on Reaper Scythe (Battle Axe), was very phenomenal a lot of work went into it. However I will contrast my set to the Reaper Scythe as it focuses on the weapon of the reaper himself while Soul Melee Focuses on manipulating or reshaping your very own essence onto others, eventually seeping into the underworld in terms of the theme as well as the abilities. 

Overall thanks for the observation towards Permeable always appreciate the feedback.

Edited by OmnibusOmnh

On 5/9/2021 at 3:47 PM, Naraka said:

Seems like Psi melee but with an actually powerful secondary mechanic.

Considering the defensive nature of Permeable, I'd ditch the single target confuse for an attack or that "soul extraction" pet but you don't say what the pet actually does.  Does it debuff enemies?  Does it buff/heal the user?  Does it attack or taunt?  What might be good is making the Revenant soul pet like a Photon Seeker that kind of explodes on a target when it aggros, doing some moderate damage but somehow improving your own attacks by reducing the foe's resistance to negative energy or maybe enabling your attacks to do more DoT.

hey @Naraka, I made edits on Permeable and on the Revenant Pet you should see the add ons I made this as a light proposal without going into many specifics originally, but I went into more detail as to how Revenant works. it will use Soul melee abilities as well as degrading a foes defense. I added your suggestion on improving the casters own abilities, Now when a Revenant is active it increase the Dot and adds minor time towards Permeable

Edited by OmnibusOmnh

On 5/13/2021 at 3:28 PM, OmnibusOmnh said:

Hey @Leogunner, sorry for the absence, heard your criticism of the Permeable, great assumption that is exactly how I intended soul melees Permeable to work apologies on not being specific, as it would be unfair to phase in and out at will. There is now a lookout after 25 sec of usage of Permeable.

As for Revenant it is an already an existing concept in the game, creating a pet from a defeated foe, an example of such power is the similarly related Soul Extraction from Necromancy, it would work similarly to that. You'd be able to activate it only on a foe you defeated not at will it will only work on a defeated foe.

Hope that this clarifies thinks up. Saw your post on Reaper Scythe (Battle Axe), was very phenomenal a lot of work went into it. However I will contrast my set to the Reaper Scythe as it focuses on the weapon of the reaper himself while Soul Melee Focuses on manipulating or reshaping your very own essence onto others, eventually seeping into the underworld in terms of the theme as well as the abilities. 

Overall thanks for the observation towards Permeable always appreciate the feedback.

On 5/13/2021 at 3:31 PM, OmnibusOmnh said:

hey @Naraka, I made edits on Permeable and on the Revenant Pet you should see the add ons I made this as a light proposal without going into many specifics originally, but I went into more detail as to how Revenant works. it will use Soul melee abilities as well as degrading a foes defense. I added your suggestion on improving the casters own abilities, Now when a Revenant is active it increase the Dot and adds minor time towards Permeable

Not going to nitpick about the durations as a balance pass would likely have to happen with regards to just how useful and defensive phase shifting while fighting might be.  Overall, I feel 25sec of usage might still be too high but again, it'd have to be examined fully to decide just what would be the best balance.

Having a "buff" pet sounds interesting.  However, you didn't respond to the point @Leogunner mentioned about the missing Taunt ability.  Every Tanker/Brute melee set has an AoE taunt with a -range debuff and the Scrapper version has a single target taunt.  If I were recommending a fix to that, I'd just remove Seized Soul from the Tanker/Brute/Scrapper version and fit the taunt in its place.  I think, in Psi Melee, Boggle is a mostly skipped power anyway but having the always up buff pet would likely be more preferred.  For Stalkers, maybe tie some of the benefits that the buff pet has to Seized Soul so it at least gets some of the offensive benefits (improves the DoT) but not the defensive ones (extending Permeable durations) when you use it to confuse a target.

• 10 months later