How to choose enhancement slots - Ill/Rad

malleable1

I played the game a long time ago, and returned recently to Homecoming.

So I'm playing an Illusion/Radiation Emission Controller.  Loving it so far.  But one thing that I have never quite figured out is where to put Expansion Slots (for this and my Masterminds).  I'm running in a group of x4 controllers.  Spectral Wounds is my only damage spell, so I took x5 slots. 

Accelerated Metabolism is a-fricking-mazing.  So this I x5 slot for Recharge.  I have Hasten, but haven't put any slots for this yet, but think I might x5 slot it because it should be speeding up my recharge for Accelerated Metabolism.  I figure I can keep AM up constantly at that point.

But more recently I've been running into issues with large groups of mobs occasionally overwhelming me.  I know as a controller I will be getting  some AoE stuff, and then large groups won't be a problem.  But I have been thinking of upping my +DEF or slotting more in Radiation Aura so I get more heal per cast.   I'm also running Leadership, so maybe when I take Tactics the +DEF will make the difference.  

What do you guys think about slots?

And maybe this is all academic  - since I dont have near enough influence to actually fill the empty Enhancement slots I have now.

Suggestions appreciated,

Thanks,

Mal

Technically you still do get a little bit more recharge for the 4th and 5th slots of recharge enhancers. But sooooo little it's not worth the slots. 

So, I would definitely recommend a respec to re-organize where slots are allocated. 

• Your aura heal is serviceable, but I wouldn't go wild slotting it.  2 slots at first should be plenty good.  Really your To-Hit debuffs should seriously limit how much people are getting hurt at all, (you HAVE taken Radiation Infection, right?....), so your aura heal should be maintenence heals only, nothing you'll lean on much. 
  • Spectral Wounds, if you're not doing IO sets yet, nothing wrong with 2 acc 3 dam.  Maybe 1 acc 3 dam 1 end reduction?.
  • Hasten never sucks.  Only about 1/3 to 2/5 of my characters use Hasten, but I almost *always* take it for Controllers or Dominators.  Being able to pop hasten and stack magnitude of Hold/Confuse in rapid fire can save your hash when soloing before you have Phantom Army. 
  • Accel Metab, nothing at all wrong with 3 recharge. 
  • Radiation Infection, I like 2 to-hit debuff, 1 end reduce to get me off the ground and then reslot it with sets later.
  • I'm normally a HUGE fan of Decieve or any other source of Confuse. But if most mobs are going to be in your Radiation Infection and unable to hit the broad side of a barn, then Confuse is perhaps less valuable for you. 

If it doesn't conflict with character concept / theme, I'd take a good hard look at Sorcery.  Arcane Bolt would give you another attack, and Enflame is very very nice now.  Particularly teamed with other controllers providing you containment. 

• Thanks 1

Again, you guys show the support from players in providing information is unmatched in the MMORPG world.

I had no idea that enhancements were softcapped at 3 slots.  I read something about five slots.  So I am definitely needing a respec.  I think I got a free one lately.

And I did not take Radiation Infection.  I saw that it dropped when the initial target died, so how I've been playing made it seem less useful.  But clearly its good and I will have to respec to get it in.  I had only planned on taking Radiant Aura and AM from Radiation.

With x4 AMs running from my group, and x4 Hastens running as well, I've only been using Spectral Wounds (currently x5 slotted for damage - I'll knock these down to x3 slots).  The recharge is so fast its not worth casting anything else given the cast time of other stuff and the slotting of damage in SW. 

So I'll x3 slot both AM and Hasten with Recharge.

And x3 slot SW for damage.  And x2 SW for Accuracy (or maybe just x1 slot it).

For Power Pools I'm going for:

Speed (Hasten, maybe Burst)

Leadership

Fly (Hover is working fine, probably wont take anything else).

Presence or Experimentation - to get either Unrelenting (Pacify? Invoke Fear? Intimidate?) or Adrenal Booster (Experimental Injection, Speed of Sound).  Not sure which of these two.  Speed of Sound might be nice, and Experimental Injection helpful; but Unrelenting has a self-rez and maybe the placate or fears would provide an 'Ohh-shoot' button or fear-kiting?

Maybe at higher level when I could get both Unrelenting and Adrenal Booster I'd drop Speed (Hasten).  Unrelenting and Adrenal Booster would be better than just Hasten, right?  Twice the +recharge and all the other benefits, and I could still get speed of sound.  For now Hasten is available as its low level, so I need to keep using it.  

Respecs allow you to drop and retake Power Pools, right?  Never done a respec before.

AM is  just incredible IMO, so with x3 slots of recharge in AM (with x4 characters in my group using AM), Unrelenting and Adrenal Booster (or Hasten) I should be able to keep AM up constantly, right?  Right now I keep it up about half the time with just the 4 players running it with x4 Hastens.

Thematically Sorcery would fit (I'm Magic).  I like Mystic Flight until I took Hover (hover rocks).  I don't think I need Arcane Bolt, since my SW damage is higher and with x4 AM and x4 Hasten I don't need to use anything else for damage since the recharge is up nearly immediately.  So is Enflame like a pulsing PBAoE damage?  If so it sounds wonderful, though not sure if I can fit it in my build (and I couldn't take it if I go Experimentation/Unrelenting).

One other question.  What does Overpower do for Deceive?  It's suppose to increase the magnitude so that NPCs are effected by it.  If you don't see Overpower then the target is not effected?  My group is normally dropping x4 Deceives on an NPC, so its always showing up.  So stacking Deceive means the NPC is always effected, right?  (Unless immune I guess). If one of my party starts using Radiation Infection, then I guess it will only be x3 Deceives on an NPC.

Suggestions and Comments appreciated.

Thanks,

Mal

• Like 1

Well I tend to solo play (4-box actually), and I always play the same character with basically the same build.  So soloing with a bit more fire power (and facing more enemies due to grouping).

So firepower is always important, BUT lately I am having some issues with huge groups of mobs overwhelming one guy at a time, so AoE control I think will be more important.  Honestly I think I will prioritize getting some AoE control - the ranged AoE Fear.  And if a respec allows choosing new Power Pools then I will at some point drop Speed (Hasten) and get both Experimental and Presence (along with Fly/Hover and Leadership).  BUT I have not taken Blind (which I didn't realize was AoE) or Flash - so maybe these are enough.

Mal

I was like you on live and on returning to Homecoming. I would sell my drops and make enhancements to sell and make a little cash. Then I read a guide on how to use your merits to make influence. 

Short answer do every TF and SBB that shows up on the LFG  channel. This allows you to group and earn influence while leveling. Use the merits to buy  enhancement converters from the various merit vendors. Sell them at the consignment for 1 influence. Stop selling if they ever sell for less than 60k. 

That should get you enough influence for common IO's. If you do the SBBs you can use some of those converts to get the KB/KD proc for phantasm and selling.  Get the normal procs in health and stamina (panacea and Performance shifter). 

Local_man made a guide on the OG forums. He is "Area Man" here though. 

https://web.archive.org/web/20120905042613/http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=141225

It also has common IO slotting (which hasn't changed since ED) as well as a pre homecoming IO build.

These forums are bit bias toward Ill/ice, Ill/dark, Ill/Time, and Ill/TA since ILL/RAD has been a thing since launch, while HC stats still show ILL/Rad as still leading the secondaries for illusion. 

• Like 1

Hm.  I've never had the luxury of having x4 Accelerate Metabolism's rolling on me all at once. 

I can definitely see how that would ping your recharge to wild levels, though. Yea, at that point, maybe Spectral Wounds is plenty good enough. 

On Radiation Infection

"Anchor Debuffs" like Radiation Infection will persist even after the target dies..... as long as the target leaves a corpse behind

• Council gunner?  Drops to the ground dead *cough* "defeated" *cough*.  Your toggle will not auto-drop until the corpse fades out of existence which is a good 30 seconds after. You may choose to automatically deactivate your toggle sooner. 
  • Council Hoverbot?   Explodes on death, and nothing remains behind.  Your toggle will auto-drop upon death.
  • Same with Tsoo ninjas/ink men, body on the ground, toggle stays, but Tsoo Guardian Spirits just fade away, toggle auto-shuts itself off right away.
  • and CoT mages vs CoT spectral demons.  You get the idea. 

Therefore, knowing whether they'll leave a body on the ground, is an important thing to keep in mind when deciding who to place Radiation Infection (or any other "Anchor" debuff... same applies to Storm Summoning / Snow Storm, or Dark Miasma / Darkest Night, etc) on.  That said, I really really do recommend this power. It's a severe To-Hit debuff and can really turn a bunch of mobs from beating the tar out of you into the Keystone Kops. It also comes with a strong Defense Debuff, meaning you'll almost never miss the affected mobs, either. 

2 hours ago, malleable1 said:

Radiation Infection.

If you are indeed running 4X /Rads, RI may not really come into play much.

In this case, Choking Cloud actually comes into its own. 4 Rads running this will passively lock down any group just by waltzing in - no animation time required, no need to worry about whether the power is recharged. Just walk in and blast away. You can even be stacking holds for damage and more mag on big targets like AVs, and keep them locked down during vulnerable windows.

Don't get me wrong - I love RI. I felt the particular synergies of multiple Rads was worth calling attention to. You will probably not really ever need to use RI with this group. This is true of any support power set to a degree, but Rad has that special grab bag of easy/quick to apply, universally helpful debuffs, along with stacking AM to make it a very simple and powerful super team machine.

• Like 1

Onlysandwich,

Thanks for pointing that out.  Cutting this out of my build lets me other stuff up quicker, and I can get every ability I had my eye on now (I was one slot shy before dropping this).

Thanks,

Mal

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later

@malleable1

And another point which you may have already figured out but I'll add for future readers and/or in case you're not aware.  You don't have to actually multi box to get larger more challenging spawns.  You can alter your Notoriety setting to cause the mobs to spawn as if you were any size team up to a full 8 as well as higher level.  Potentially this can allow you to solo +4 spawns as if you were a size 8 team (often expressed as +4/×8).  Though obviously if your very comfortable multiboxing 4 Rads running against things is going to be very potent with things like stacked AM and Choking Cloud.

Doomguide2005,

Thanks for the comment.  Yeah, I multibox because I enjoy it, not specifically to up my challenge level.  I've been playing with most of the Mastermind and Controller Primaries, but can't get myself to try anything but Radiation Emission.  AM is just such a nice buff, and with x4 of them, and Hasten, and x3 slotting both for +recharge I can keep them up almost constantly.  Can't wait until Choking Cloud.

Mal

This is my Ill/Rad's build. I had her way back on live as well but she's been updated with the newer sets and things on Homecoming. PA is perma'ed and she was as much of an AV/GM killer now as she was on live many moons ago. Slots and set bonuses were almost entirely focused on recharge in the interest of getting Hasten and PA Perma.

She runs with SI on all the time in missions. It's a concept/roleplay thing for me that she's invisible as much as possible and that's probably the slotting I think most people will disagree with. I personally never took Choking Cloud is it's end-heavy for me (since I'm already running SI) and doesn't make as much sense for her concept.

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.4.7
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Spettra 2: Level 50 Science Controller
Primary Power Set: Illusion Control
Secondary Power Set: Radiation Emission
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Teleportation
Ancillary Pool: Primal Forces Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Spectral Wounds -- Apc-Dmg(A), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(3), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), Apc-Acc/Rchg(5), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(5)
Level 1: Radiant Aura -- DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx(A), DctWnd-Heal/Rchg(7), DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(7), DctWnd-Heal(9), DctWnd-Rchg(9)
Level 2: Blind -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(11), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(11), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(13)
Level 4: Accelerate Metabolism -- SynSck-EndMod(A), SynSck-Dam/Rech(17), SynSck-EndMod/Rech(17), SynSck-Dam/Rech/Acc(19), SynSck-EndMod/+RunSpeed(19)
Level 6: Flash -- SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprWiloft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(21), SprWiloft-EndRdx/Rchg(21), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(23), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(23), SprWiloft-Rchg/Dmg%(25)
Level 8: Superior Invisibility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(25), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(27), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(27), RedFrt-Def(29), RedFrt-EndRdx(29)
Level 10: Deceive -- CrcPrs-Conf/Rchg(A), CrcPrs-Acc/Conf/Rchg(31), CrcPrs-Acc/Rchg(31), CrcPrs-Conf/EndRdx(31), CrcPrs-Conf%(33)
Level 12: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(33), RechRdx-I(33)
Level 14: Super Speed -- Run-I(A)
Level 16: Group Invisibility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 18: Phantom Army -- ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(34), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(36), RechRdx-I(36), RechRdx-I(36)
Level 20: Radiation Infection -- DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb(A), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/EndRdx(37), DarWtcDsp-ToHitdeb/Rchg/EndRdx(37), TchofLadG-DefDeb(37), TchofLadG-DefDeb/EndRdx(39), TchofLadG-DefDeb/Rchg/EndRdx(39)
Level 22: Enervating Field -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 24: Lingering Radiation -- TmpRdn-Acc/Slow(A), TmpRdn-Acc/EndRdx(39), TmpRdn-EndRdx/Rchg/Slow(40)
Level 26: Spectral Terror -- SprOvrPrs-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprOvrPrs-EndRdx/Rchg(40), SprOvrPrs-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(42), SprOvrPrs-Rchg/Energy Font(42)
Level 28: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 30: Teleport Target -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 32: Phantasm -- CaltoArm-Acc/Rchg(A), CaltoArm-Acc/Dmg(42), CaltoArm-Dmg/EndRdx(43), CaltoArm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(43)
Level 35: Fallout -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(45), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(45), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(46), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(46)
Level 38: EM Pulse -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(46), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(47), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(47)
Level 41: Power Blast -- Dcm-Acc/Dmg(A), Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx(48), Dcm-Dmg/Rchg(48), Dcm-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(48)
Level 44: Mutation -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 47: Conserve Power -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 49: Temp Invulnerability -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-End/Res(50), GldArm-3defTpProc(50), GldArm-ResDam(50)
Level 1: Containment
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(13), Mrc-Heal(15)
Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod-I(A), EndMod-I(15)
Level 50: Intuition Radial Paragon
------------
------------
Set Bonus Totals:

• 17% DamageBuff(Smashing)
  • 17% DamageBuff(Lethal)
  • 17% DamageBuff(Fire)
  • 17% DamageBuff(Cold)
  • 17% DamageBuff(Energy)
  • 17% DamageBuff(Negative)
  • 17% DamageBuff(Toxic)
  • 17% DamageBuff(Psionic)