Pls suggest an offensive build for tearing through mobs

jlk819

I play my tank most of the time. I was doing a TF (Yin I think) and as I'm hopping into the middle of groups, they'd all get held, then dominated, then dead. I barely had to do anything. Wish I had looked at what the build was, but I was very impressed.

I don't know what I saw, but would love to create a toon that can create similar results. Team primary, wouldn't run it solo. No cap on budget. Any thoughts and/or links to builds? 

I'd rate the three "safest bet" Control sets on Doms as Plant, Dark, Earth, depending how you want to go about it.

I'd rate the four "safest bet" Assault sets as Fire, Psi, Savage, and Energy, with Earth and Dark trailing behind just a bit as fifth and sixth contenders.

Pair any of category A with category B and you'll probably get a very strong performer (tho not always in the same way) who puts out enough combined damage, control and survivability to invest in. 

If you mix any from Category A or Category B with one of the sets not mentioned above you'll probably still have a pretty good showing.

There are some hidden gems out there but if you're new to this archetype the seven/nine I mentioned above are a good foundation.

Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Like 2

Well, to be fair, there arent exactly a whole lot of options in either a or b categories, and the control sets listed are about 1/3rd of the control sets, so it is kinda hard to go wrong mix and maxing a and b sets.

Also, in its own weird way, I would say grav is a pretty good control set. It is a little weird though, and I would have to admit, fire stomps it pretty good.

Doms are a damage class, so it doesn't take much to make them "offensive." A lot of power sets, though, tend to be late bloomers (or maybe it's just the noob I am). For example, you'll have some very nifty primary powers, but you won't be able to afford the endurance cost at low levels, so I just postpone taking them later. Another thing I've noticed is doms have sooooo many cool powers that you simply can't take them all, not if you want to invest in some def/res and other pool/epic powers. what I end up doing is limiting the primary powers (control) and taking most of the secondaries (damaging) to have some space for def/res power picks. then again, I mostly run solo. If you're planning on teaming a lot, then damage will always be there which frees up some of your power picks to take those that will pin mobs down.

If I just confused you more, may I suggest a Fortunata. they're like doms on steroids. you have a nice mix of melee, range, holds/control plus some def/res that you don't need to dip into tertiary pools except maybe for travel powers and a self heal.

Plant likely as a control since it does good damage plus the vines each hold their own aggro.  There's a few ways you could go with assault, either great ST damage for finishing the tougher targets faster or more aoe.  I'd highly recommend Soul Mastery though, Soul Drain amps up your damage plus it does good aoe damage on use then you can get a good ranged aoe and also if that's not enough the end drain also does decent aoe damage too, fills your endurance, and procs well since it's a long recharge.  

Edited by Mezmera

Since you asked for a specific recommendation on a shredder character, I'd recommend trying Plant/Savage/Leviathan. It's an incredibly straightforward performer. Open with Seeds, recast Carrion Creepers and Water Spout each time they are up, attack with your Savage powers. IMO you cannot go wrong with this recipe.

You could safely change out Leviathan for the Ice APP (to get Sleet) if you'd prefer to specialize more on teamming and AVs. Personally I think Water Spout adds more safety plus is just insanely cool looking for what you're looking for though.

Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Like 3