Costume Creator is my fidget spinner

Replacement

Happy Tuesday folks.  A hopefully low-drama way to spend your General Discussion time for you!

I was clicking through the character creator while waiting for a meeting to start and realized this is probably better for me than my YouTube time.

Do you only put together outfits when you already have a character in mind? Do you ever just slap stuff together to pass the time?  Self-imposed challenge like "today I'm going to find a use for these low-poly head wings"?

Do you ever discover gold while you're digging in the muck and create a character you just absolutely must play?

On the flipside, sound off if you have a folder of saved costumes you liked but really have no character in mind for them.

• Like 1

So this is how the character creation process, and by extension, the costume creation goes for me. 

The first step for me is saying "this character concept sounds cool." All my characters have a backstory, every last one, so the most important thing for all my characters and their costumes is their concept. 

Once I've got a concept in mind, I'll go for whatever powers sound most appropriate/fun for said concept. Sometimes I pick the powers to go with a concept, and sometimes a concept to go with powers. After that is costume creation. This is obviously the most fun part, as it likely is for a lot of folks.

Since I've been playing this game for so long, I have a pretty good idea of what kinds of costume pieces are available, so when I've got a concept, I almost always have some idea of what they're going to look like, and then it's just a matter of making what I imagined with the costume creator. I'll spend quite a bit of time here fine-tuning stuff until I feel it's just right, and then, I'm done! 

I can never just play around in the costume creator without a character in mind. It just doesn't work that way for me. Every character I make has a story, an origin, a personality, and their choice of dress always reflects that. Furthermore, every time I make a new character and costume, I absolutely must see the costume in action. I can't just make a costume and let it sit there; I have to actually get in the game and see how it looks when running, jumping, attacking, etc...

I don't have a whole lot of costumes saved locally. The few that I do have are for characters whose costumes I liked but their powers/concept just didn't mesh well with me. In some of those cases where I really like the costume, I'll save it locally and try to rework it into a new character concept.

Global Handle: @Gibs

A guy with unpopular opinions.

Man, I'm all over the place. 

Sometimes I'll have the *character,* but not really a costume and they'll end up in a generic looking thing or T-shirt and jeans.

Sometimes I'll be doing soemthing else, see a piece and go "Ooh... I could use that for..." and end up with a new character.

Soemtimes it all just comes up naturally.

And ... while I don't think I have any unused costume files, some totally deserve that "clothes horse" badge. If they had an in-game walk in closet, it would be filled plus some.

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

47 minutes ago, Greycat said:

Man, I'm all over the place. 

Sometimes I'll have the *character,* but not really a costume and they'll end up in a generic looking thing or T-shirt and jeans.

Sometimes I'll be doing soemthing else, see a piece and go "Ooh... I could use that for..." and end up with a new character.

Soemtimes it all just comes up naturally.

And ... while I don't think I have any unused costume files, some totally deserve that "clothes horse" badge. If they had an in-game walk in closet, it would be filled plus some.

I would like to say I aim for an approach like what @GastlyGibus is saying but the truth is: I am more like this.

I think the big difference is, despite my altism, I tend not to choose "Enter the city" until I am at least satisfied with the costume, name, power combo, and "character" (that weird headcanon intangible of "who they are" which I almost never explain).

But that's more full-service character creation!  A lot of times I will have just a part of it (such as today while I waited for now several meetings) such as "I want a dude that is vaguely reptillian, and it's because of this backstory thing I have planned."  So I crash around in the character creator and end up making a completely different character because of some dumb idea I stumbled across in the CC.

But just as often, I end up satisfied with just the costume and I say "well I'll save that off and use it for later."  A lot of them do not get used, but instead serve as inspiration for further characters.

I hate to admit this, but, my costume is the least important part to me.

If I get an idea, or a name, I'll make it right away then stare at the costume creator for a few minutes.

Then most of the time I choose "Bare", run the tutorial, and play until a costume comes to me.  If I get to level 10 and I'm still running around in my skivvies I got back to the costume creator, hit random three times, get rid of the wings, and work from there.

Who run Bartertown?