Allow emotes for Shield Defense users

I love Shield Defense, but if you have at least one toggle going, you can't emote at all.

It is a grave injustice IMO.

Please consider allowing shield users to not be locked into the "holding the shield and that's all I can do" stance,

granted I'm not sure how viable it is but it can't hurt to ask.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Retired Developer

It's fixable, but requires a bunch of text changes on all of the emotes. I don't know whether the interrupt was added at launch for shields or after, but there's little reason on the surface for this not to have already been done for emotes, and yet for most of them outside of 'e dance' (which I assume works for you), is commented out. It's possible it was a copy & paste oversight and not for a specific problem.

As Powerhouse will tell you, changing sequencers can have unforeseen side effects or animation issues down the road, so provided minimal files have to be adjusted, I'll see about getting a fix on the test server at some point, possibly rolled in with emote adjustments that add the specific random cycles for food and things as their own specific emotes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Naomi said:

As Powerhouse will tell you, changing sequencers can have unforeseen side effects or animation issues down the road, so provided minimal files have to be adjusted, I'll see about getting a fix on the test server at some point, possibly rolled in with emote adjustments that add the specific random cycles for food and things as their own specific emotes.

This would be a fun one. Currently I use the disable all powers when photo-bombing a cut scene but not needing to re-toggle would be nice.

• Retired Developer
5 hours ago, krj12 said:

While you're at it, can you can change the SD toggles so they don't have you hunched over?

I think that would mean clipping during your standard idle / ready pose of hands crossing and uncrossing, and the alternative solutions start to snowball in terms of work required to address it.

15 hours ago, ZacKing said:

Didn't this have something to do with the shield clipping?  I want to say that was the reason for it from back when.

It's possible. There is a way to hide the shield per animation though, which may not have existed until later.

I think that would mean clipping during your standard idle / ready pose of hands crossing and uncrossing, and the alternative solutions start to snowball in terms of work required to address it.

No,  try using an inspiration with any SD toon.  It puts you into a standard pose, with no arm crossing.  I'd just prefer that being the default, without having to burn an inspiration.

6 hours ago, Naomi said:

It's possible. There is a way to hide the shield per animation though, which may not have existed until later.

I'm guessing Walk isn't so simple?  Even before the last round of work that made Walk only enforce "only affecting self" instead of detoggling, the shield mez click would break Walk.  I'm guessing that's animation state bits and not at all similar to the emote thing.

1 hour ago, krj12 said:

No,  try using an inspiration with any SD toon.  It puts you into a standard pose, with no arm crossing.  I'd just prefer that being the default, without having to burn an inspiration.

Does it persist? Like you can leave your character there and they won't loop through the arm motions indefinitely?

Does it persist? Like you can leave your character there and they won't loop through the arm motions indefinitely?

Yes, as long as you leave the character in that spot.  Any movement, and the character reverts to the crouch pose.