First Time Blaster

scarhead

I have normally played brute, sometimes a tank, once a MM, once a Blood Widow. Some topics I saw awhile ago interested me in triple boxing and figuring out what I would play. I think I'm deciding on a primary Blaster, with 2 Defender bots on follow. My plan is a Son/Son and Cold/Son. At end game, this would provide 45% def to all, 58% res to all (but psi), immob/hold/stun/conf/fear protection (from Sonic Dispersion and double Tactics) and slow protection (from Arctic Fog). These defenders will spam a sonic attack on auto for double -20% res.

With those starting parameters, I have determined that Fire is the natural Primary, since what I'm looking for is max damage. I have no need to slot for def or res, so I can focus on dmg and recharge. I don't know what might be the best secondary for this, maybe Atomic Manipulation? Since I've never played a blaster, I am really unsure.

I would appreciate some pros and cons of the secondaries and please let me know if I'm missing some info here. I'm not sure if I would want to be primarily ranged or melee. My defender bots will have pretty decent resists and defenses, but I don't know what I will be capable of handling and I hope to only switch to them every 4 minutes for the shields, or for when we're using elevators. Taking Teleport might be very beneficial for this toon, so I can just port them to me after an elevator.

Thanks for any help.

So if you will triple box your blaster then you should be a blapper for sure.  After all, you also wouldn't want to miss out on some of your best attacks.  

pick sets you want to play weather you want to choose by theme, synergy, etc.  I think you'll be able to fine with any really, whatever floats your boat.

a couple ideas:

Psi/Martial/Soul - Good combo with fast good DPA ST attacks from Primary and Secondary, and also with good AoE from the Secondary.  Also get stacking stuns and decent KD.  Martial is one of the best sets for movement, damage, etc.  

Fire/Mental - Fast attacks, great damage, great ST and AoE.  Also has Drain Psyche which can be the most powerful sustain power. 

Fire/Elec - Fire is great and Elec is top tier as well.  Incredible ST and AoE.

Rad/Devices - you can hit anything, and make a proc build.

Water or Ice/Plant - 

You might be disappointed when you get defense debuffed and it cascades on you.  If you have a weakness, this will be it.  I'd aim for 57 defense so you can take a full 12% and still be at softcap.. Infact, if I were to 3-box I'd aim for 70 since that's probably within range and would put you a full debuff above incarnate enemies.  Also, I"m pretty sure the arachnos defense debuffers use psi attacks, so you do need to pay attention to that.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

Without trying hard (focusing on recharge/damage), my mids build has the blaster at 14% defense. Adding the 45 from Cold/ Defender and double maneuvers puts me at 59%, including Psi, with almost 20% psi res.

Now the only thing to wonder about is if it will be worth it to try to triple box and make this blaster really tough or just keep playing melee.

18 hours ago, scarhead said:

Without trying hard (focusing on recharge/damage), my mids build has the blaster at 14% defense. Adding the 45 from Cold/ Defender and double maneuvers puts me at 59%, including Psi, with almost 20% psi res.

Now the only thing to wonder about is if it will be worth it to try to triple box and make this blaster really tough or just keep playing melee.

I have done Duo +4/8 MoITFs (+ no inspirations) with two blappers.  Just use Ageless Radial.  And great if your bots also have ageless radial or have Barrier or whatever.  Your defense will be fine.