Mighty Melee! (aka Super Strength for Everyone!)

Super Strength for Scrappers and changes to Rage are always hot topics. This suggestion side-steps both by creating a new set called Mighty Melee available to all Melee Archetypes. Here's my rough idea for powers: (Yeah, it's a lot like Super Strength but that's the point)

Clobber: This is a one-two punch like Barrage, but can cause KD

Punch: Same as Super Strength set

Smash: Basically Haymaker but more damage

Taunt/Confront/Placate

Handclap: Same as Super Strength

Build Up: Same as most Build Ups except it also adds a Stun to every attack

Footstomp: Same as Super Strength, but earlier

Hurl: Same as Super Strength (maybe a Targeted AoE? That would probably be overpowered.)

Knockout: Not quite Knockout Blow, uses the Crushing Uppercut animation

I kept it simple because I'm not really a fan of combos or gimmicks, just added the Stuns to Build Up for some flavour.

(Also I just realized "Clobber" is already the name of a power in War Mace, so feel free to suggest something different)

15 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

Handclap with damage please.

I thought about that, but 1) Handclap is a good power, and 2) people seem to want some skippable powers

But maybe since Handclap already Stuns, the Build Up power could add damage?

Yes please, devs. Please give us a Super Strength alternative. 

Please consider this:

• The current iteration of SS, with Rage and double-stacked Rage, has sentimental value for a lot of players and there will inevitably be a LOT of opposition to change it.
    • This iteration is generally considered to be overpowered for scrappers due to Rage stacking and the fact that the crash is less punishing to a non-tanking class, whereas it's generally considered okayish (if problematic) for brutes/tankers.
    • Rage sucks as a mechanic which the entire set has to be balanced around, especially double-stacked Rage.
    • This means that without Rage the set is severely underpowered (Seriously, the DPA on Jab for instance is atrocious)
    • It also means that Rage applies a disproportionately high bonus to epic power pools which are not balanced around Rage.
    • A new powerset can have all the base damage buffed so that people with SUPER STRENGTH do not hit like wet noodles when Rage is off. Seriously, legacy Super Strength is more like Rage Melee. This would be much better for inexperienced players who may not understand how the set is balanced and just want to be Superman.
  • Therefore the best solution is to create a new powerset, the same way the Live devs created Willpower (and later Bio Armor) to sidestep the sentimental value of Regen and the needed changes to scaling.
  • A new powerset can have its own balance (attacks, attack speeds, more/different AOEs) and make use of the newer animations, such as the amazing Atom Smasher animation in Rad Melee.
    • Please consider adding this as a alternate animation for Footstomp regardless.
  • A new powerset can change non-Rage fundamental aspects of Super Strength's balance, such as the possibility of making Hand Clap a damage power
  • A new powerset can be used as an alternative to Super Strength for Tankers and Brutes, adding even more to the game, whereas rebalancing Super Strength will not add anything new to Tankers and Brutes and likely will annoy a whole chunk of them regardless of how well done it is.
  • I proposed, ages ago, a new Epic (Praetorian) Archetype based on Statesman/Tyrant for the benefit of all of us who want to play Superman/Shazam/Black Adam without the stupid Rage mechanic. I am aware that such an archetype may be prohibitively difficult to program, so a next-best solution is a new powerset.

4 hours ago, Supertanker said:

Build Up: Same as most Build Ups except it also adds a Stun to every attack

I think that your set would be easier to program (to accomplish this, the devs would have to program in a conditional stun into every attack in the game) and would be just as fun without the additional stun in BU. Perhaps shorten the stun duration on Hand Clap (ie, make it a secondary effect) and turn it into a damage power.

• Thumbs Up 1

Everlasting, even though I do not RP, as:

Doctor Hadius, Crab Spider (Main) ~ Aeronwen, Rad/Super Strength/Mu Tanker ~ Mortality Black, Time/Dual Pistols/Soul Defender ~ Vextravaganza, Illusion/Dark/Psi Controller ~ Baneframe, Robots/Time/Mace Mastermind ~ Zippy-Zap, Electric Armor/Dark Melee/Soul Tanker ~ Laser Lily, Beam Rifle/Energy Aura/Leviathan Sentinel ~ Nezumiko, Savage Melee/Bio Armor/Mu Stalker