Deciding on a secondary for Dark/

lightpunch

Hi folks,

I recently decided I needed ("needed") to get a 50 of every AT (not counting EATs, leaving them for later). All my 50s are trollers, blasters, tanks, and brutes. I've got an MM and a def in the pipeline, and several scrappers I've lost interest in for the moment but could resurrect and get to 50 when it suits me. That leaves corruptors, stalkers, and dominators, three classes I never had much luck with or interest in on live, but I want at least one 50 in each that I enjoy playing. I'm hitting a wall with my rad/rad corruptor ( namely, was this a bad idea?) so I'm moving on to my dominator project.

One of my big issues with dominators had been that the appealing combos were already so close to trollers I had/enjoyed that I ended up not wanting to rerun the same sort of concept. But I'm over that, and have decided my dark/ dom will play different enough from my dark/dark/soul troller to make it worth it.

I'm currently a bit lost on the secondary though. I'm considering Psi, Icy, Energy, Fiery, Savage, and Martial.

What I think I'm looking for is a dark dom that:

• uses heart of darkness extensively
  • maxes out melee defense
  • ideally even has cause to use Fold Space to drop foes directly onto me for some carnage

I know all of those possible secondaries will be successful to some extent, but any thoughts on which of those combos I should pursue to achieve this specific dom dream?

Edited by lightpunch

I feel like there's posts out there on these boards that cover this sort of thing, but in any case, Dark/Savage is a popular and effective dom combo. /Psi is always a solid go-to because Drain Psyche is so powerful. 

A lot of it depends on whether you want to blap as well; since you're looking at Fold Space, I'd probably pass on /Fire since it prefers a more ranged style of play. /Martial is okay; the attacks are fun, but Exploding Shuriken is a bit of a dud and as a whole I didn't feel it performed as well as some of the other secondaries (I got a plant/martial dom to the 30's or 40's and felt rather underwhelmed by it). /Icy and /Energy both like to blap and are also generally pretty solid picks.

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

Based on what you listed as your priorities, I'd go probably go with either Dark/Psi or Dark/Energy. Dark/Savage is also good, but since you're trying to grab the Teleport Pool, Combat Teleport will probably be in the build, making the charge attack in Savage Leap not as vital to have.

Dark/Psi is a defensive powerhouse who is very, very difficult for enemies to kill, due to strong mezz, lots of -ToHit, and excellent Regen. Also, this combo is very easy on your endurance bar. However, it does require IOing to get Drain Psyche's recharge down to where it becomes an every battle power.

Dark/Energy is a high damage character. It has Power Up, which doubles the effectiveness of -ToHit in your powers. It's a much earlier bloomer that doesn't require as much IOing to start to see the value. But, it also doesn't easily self heal or have very good endurance management. 

I like what they've done with Energy tons.  It is very well rounded in melee and very strong ranged attacks for stragglers.  What it is lacking though is aoe damage.  While deciding what secondary you want to go with you should also be looking at the Epic pools to see what you can round out for the characters weaknesses.  

Dom's have very good epic pools but to me Soul Mastery is a cut above the rest and pairs real nice with its vast aoe damage to Energy's real strong ST focus.  

Like others are saying it really depends on what you want to do, the most suitable playstyle for doms is as a blapper.  Ice and Energy are quite well rounded and suited for melee and runners, Earth is very strong and more melee focused as I'm sure a few others are as well like Savage and Martial.  Psi is cool too but its more aoe focused and added survivability, but I find it boring with no real oomph.  

If anything I'd take a look at the assaults they revamped last time, they had me at what they did with Energy but I'm sure all of those were done real well.