The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

Costume Randomizer

DevoDog

Originally, random costumes in CoH gave you some decent costumes. Two of my mains were inspired by the random costumes.

With back, tail, aura, and a lot of the head options, random costumes are no longer viable.

Any chance of being able to eliminate areas for random costumes?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's an idea which has come up from time to time in the past:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/26189-random-costume/

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/25776-de-randomize-random-in-character-creator/

Hopefully a Dev will pick it up as a personal project, or the Dev Team will expand to include someone interested in doing it.

• Like 1

No objection to an update — it would seem to need little more than an expansion of the database usage — but after all, a random costume is either for hurry-builds on Beta or as a starting idea... emphasis on starting. It only takes a moment to add a tail or cape or backpack.

I never used the randomizer on Live — maybe once — but I've actually run through a few dozen clicks to find a starting point for my last couple of alts. If I don't have a firm look/theme idea in mind, it's a nice way to shake things up. But I never consider the result more than a starting sketch...

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

3 hours ago, DevoDog said:

With back, tail, aura, and a lot of the head options, random costumes are no longer viable.

Having had several costumes be inspired by random costumes...  I disagree.

As you yourself say, they're inspirations, starting points.  Not examples.  Don't want a tail?  Delete it.  Don't like the aura?  Delete it or change it. 

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

I would like it to be more random but the way it works now,  you are more often seeing costume parts from the categories with very few costume parts.  The different monster head categories are just as likely to be chosen through random as hats, full helm, half helm,  and all the other head categories.  Meaning about half the time you end up seeing a monster head since they all have their own category and the hundreds of other heads are rarely seen.

Random should mostly be for inspiration but having random from the total of costume choices and not from the total of costume categories would be nice.  I can say when it plops a monster head on there,  im inspired to hit the random button again.

1 minute ago, TheZag said:

I can say when it plops a monster head on there,  im inspired to hit the random button again.

Gotta agree with the generality of this. I don't find any of the monster parts appealing in any way, for any build. They come off as dork-ass and childish looking as, say, King Shark.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com