Freedom Phalanx member, medi-transport inventor, creator of Portal Corporation...

Glacier Peak

.... and I'm surprised that there isn't more about Dr. Brian Webb in game. I would've thought that Issue 1 would be the perfect time to add content about the guy, but it's just badge history or side notes in story arcs. The dude seemed pretty cool - would make for a dope time travel Mender arc to go back and team up with him.

Anyone have any AE created arcs involving him? His backstory screams multi-versal time traveler.

• Thumbs Up 5

To expand this out a little further, Dr. Webb was a brilliant scientist. In the early days, he worked with Back Alley Brawler and Statesman on the Freedom Phalanx as a technician. When he learned of the effects of Superadine, he wasn't deterred from pursuing further research even though it had moral and ethical concerns. He seems a bit like the story of Icarus to me.

According to the Scholastic History Badge Plaques:

Plaque near Dr. Kahn in Founders' Fall:

"On July 7, 1988, the brilliant Dr. Brian Webb, former researcher for Freedom Phalanx, held a surprise press conference at this site. He announced that he had discovered a way to enter other dimensions. He demonstrated his technology for the awed spectators, even transporting a few lucky reporters and dignitaries to an alternate world. Dr. Webb said, 'My technology has proven that possibility is truly limitless. The future is what we make of it.'"

In Brickstown, we find a lab that was once used by Dr. Webb to discover the strange relationship between Superadine and multi-dimensional travel:

"This building was once the lab of Dr. Brian Webb, the brilliant scientist who broke the dimensional barrier and opened up whole new worlds to science. His notes reveal that his findings were linked to previous scientists' research on the effects of the drug Superadine. Much has been made of this discovery, but the link between the drug and the dimensional barrier remains a mystery."

Another plaque in Brickstown speaks to Dr. Webb destroying the dimensional barrier and the consequences of his multi-versal traveling:

"This plaque commemorates the invasion of Paragon City by foes from an alternate dimension. In 1988, after Dr. Brian Webb smashed the dimensional barrier, it seemed that the future could only be bright, full of wonders and discoveries. But Dr. Webb had not considered the dangers his discoveries entailed. He paid for his oversight with his life, dying at the hands of a militant people from another world, who used his portal technology to invade our own. Only with the help of the Freedom Phalanx were the invaders repelled."

• Thanks 2

The connection between Superadine (and the Trolls) and other dimensions was always something I wanted to learn more about. The Trolls aren't the most imaginative group, so I have long hoped that there was more to their story.

I have lived with the disappointment that it was probably nothing more than "drugs are coming from another dimension", which sort of plays out in a Maria Jenkin's mission (again involving Brickstown).

Superadine, as I recall, has a *very* small chance to let its user see into other dimensions. As I recall, it also drives them insane at the same time.

I *believe* (but might be remembering incorrectly) that this is what's hinted at in a Boomtown plaque about something the Phalanx, BAB, etc. swore to keep secret... which, headcanon-wise, makes me wonder if Dr Webb knew about it and disagreed, but waited until he had something he could announce.

Edit: And no, I'm not aware of any AE arcs. Yes, they would be awesome, as would an Ouro mission... We really need to take more advantage of Ouroboros. We have missions through Portal for other dimensions, Ouro should have more "see this moment in history" items.

Edited by Greycat
  • Thumbs Up 1

Still not particularly fond of certain segments of this community.

13 minutes ago, Greycat said:

Superadine, as I recall, has a *very* small chance to let its user see into other dimensions. As I recall, it also drives them insane at the same time.

I *believe* (but might be remembering incorrectly) that this is what's hinted at in a Boomtown plaque about something the Phalanx, BAB, etc. swore to keep secret... which, headcanon-wise, makes me wonder if Dr Webb knew about it and disagreed, but waited until he had something he could announce.

Edit: And no, I'm not aware of any AE arcs. Yes, they would be awesome, as would an Ouro mission... We really need to take more advantage of Ouroboros. We have missions through Portal for other dimensions, Ouro should have more "see this moment in history" items.

Imagine getting to go on various travels across the multiverse with Dr. Webb, that'd be a fun series to make in AE if I had the slightest amount of imagination lol

21 minutes ago, Techwright said:

Portal jockeying is all fun and games until you run into the Axis dimension.  There's always an Axis dimension in multiverses.  Webb should have realized this.

Yeah, grim conclusion to this character! Reischman is pretty evil. 

4 hours ago, Techwright said:

Portal jockeying is all fun and games until you run into the Axis dimension.  There's always an Axis dimension in multiverses.  Webb should have realized this.

Well, it would kind of fit, though...

axis.jpg

Still not particularly fond of certain segments of this community.