Outdoor bases?

ed_anger

My underwater zen garden, complete with schools of swimming fish and a Japanese-style hotspring bath. Feel free to stop by and take a look around, it's way more interesting in person.

rZ04jVy.png

4DUnseM.png]

How do you completely remove the walls like this? It's amazing.

The stickied post at the top of this subforum has the commands for building outside the base box. The examples you pictures are someone building on TOP of the base, where there are no walls.

So the trees/nature are outside the base? Still don’t understand how to remove the walls and get outside.

You hit F3 which will turn off room clipping and then you build literally on top of the base.

If I hit F3 it says room clipping enabled, but I'm still physically inside my base. If I move to outside the base it's just blank squares. I'm missing something here.

Ok, I went and visited, which helped. It's a bunch of huge rooms with open ceilings, so not outside. With trees, rocks and grass clipped into the walls. Very cool, but I had wrongly thought you could set your base in an environment.

You can... It's just not easy to explain in text. (Watching the base video Leo did about a week ago will help a LOT, since you can actually see the process in action-

)

Make a base with a huge room.

Pick a square in that room.

Fill it in completely, floor to ceiling (People call doing that "making a column")

Still highlighting that filled square, use the button in the Room Style box called "Apply to Room"

That'll fill in the entire huge room and give a top level working surface.

Turn room clipping on

Select your portal object from the base entrance room

Using the Shift key, raise it to the level of your newly-completed working surface and place it anywhere you want.

You can then go back and "fill in" the little entrance room too, if you want. Just like you did the huge room.

With your surface done, you can now start placing items up there.

When you zone into the base, you'll be up on that level. 

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

One weirdness in the video... At the time he made it, that "Apply to Room" process with making one column and then filling the room wasn't working. He was having to do each square individually.

He fixed that in one of the recent patches, so "Apply to Room" should work now.

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

Who is the woman playing the wolf giving the tour? Her base (and many there) are a stunning example of creativity reshaping the original tools into something new and amazing.

From what I understand from listening to the banter between her and Leo throughout the video: "Wolf" is part of the development team and a base builder herself so, my suspicion is that she's behind a good portion of the great base construction stuff we have now- i.e. either worked on it herself or pestered Leo (and probably others) to do/make/fix it on our behalf.

Which is why whenever I come across some cool tweak or improvement while out and about in Paragon, I've taking to muttering: "Thank you Leo," but, while I'm working on my base and see something new and clever and useful that certainly wasn't on live, my mutter instead is: "Thank you, Wolf."

Of course, I could be wrong but, that's my understanding of things at any rate.

Also, those bases were gorgeous and absolutely amazing. I can't wait for the next tour! Does anyone have any idea when or if that might be? :D

From what I understand from listening to the banter between her and Leo throughout the video: "Wolf" is part of the development team and a base builder herself so, my suspicion is that she's behind a good portion of the great base construction stuff we have now- i.e. either worked on it herself or pestered Leo (and probably others) to do/make/fix it on our behalf.

Which is why whenever I come across some cool tweak or improvement while out and about in Paragon, I've taking to muttering: "Thank you Leo," but, while I'm working on my base and see something new and clever and useful that certainly wasn't on live, my mutter instead is: "Thank you, Wolf."

Of course, I could be wrong but, that's my understanding of things at any rate.

Also, those bases were gorgeous and absolutely amazing. I can't wait for the next tour! Does anyone have any idea when or if that might be? :D

Big /sign to that. Let's get some respect for Wolf and the rest of the base-builders toolbox team, in addition to the guys and gals and Huges (does that 'third gender' have a proper name?) who brought the game back in the first place.