/devices or /MA or /energy for an Assault Rifle build

Jolin

Going for kinda of a super solider feel, and thought /ma or /energy might be good for enhanced strength melee. But /devices has the classic solider feel. Pros and Cons of each from better players than me would be appreciated. :)

Devices:

Pros: Easy perma-fast-snipe. Nice soft-control in the form of caltrops. Field Operative and Smoke Grenades allow for easy stealthing of missions. A little extra DPS from gun drone. Web Grenade is a really nice multi-purpose debuff/control

Cons: No damage buffs. No melee attacks to add damage although getting fast-snipe compensates for that.

Energy Manipulation:

Pros: Decent Melee attacks to supplement the lack of single-target damage in AR. Boost Range is really good with the number of cone attacks in AR. Decent control in the form of melee stuns. Only one of the three with Build Up.

Cons: No immobilize so you can't easily use Ignite. Energize is a click rather than a toggle (this one is more of a personal preference though). Total Focus is shit.

Martial Combat:

Pros: Some Decent Melee attacks. Throw Sand is a decent AoE mez which is rare for Blasters. Inner Will is a decent, if slightly weird, Break Free + Heal power.

Cons: Reaction Time is a refreshing absorb rather than a regen/HoT based sustain (again this one is more of a personal preference). Reach for The Limit isn't that great compared to either Build Up or Targeting Drone (no fast-snipe and also can't use Build Up to buff Full Auto). No immobilize so you can't easily use Ignite.

Personally I really like AR/Dev but I think you can make an argument for AR/Energy being the stronger combo. Personally I'm not super impressed with Martial Combat but I'm open to other opinions on it.

Defender Smash!

Short version - IMO, AR/EM is extremely good and AR/Dev is alright but not ideal.  I haven't played any /MC, but it seems like an awkward fit for AR/.

Let's take a look at what we get with AR/.

Single target

Damage Types: Lethal, Fire

Attacks: T1, T2, Snipe, Ignite

We don't get a T3 blast, but fast Sniper Rifle could maybe fill in.  We also get Ignite, which is awesome, but normal enemies run out of it.

What we want for ST: another attack would be nice, another damage type (from personal experience I was most annoyed by robots when it came to resistance, so let's go with anything not-Psi), and a way to leverage Ignite.

AoE

Damage Types: Lethal, Fire, a little bit of Smashing

Attacks: 3 cones, 1 TAoE

I've found that it's totally fine to have just one of Buckshot or M30, but you definitely want both Flamethrower and Full Auto.  I used M30 on my AR/EM BITD for the mitigation advantage it has over Buckshot, whereas I used Buckshot on my AR/Dark Corruptor to make sure things stayed in Tar Patch, though with today's KB -> KD options M30 should be even better.  It's also nice for not being 100% Lethal.  Flamethrower is great, if a bit narrow.  Full Auto is amazing, but it's very narrow.

What we want for AoE: the only thing I find lacking about AR's AoEs is the narrowness of the cones, particularly FA.  The range difference between Flamethrower and FA is a little awkward, too.

Other

Damage Boost: None! :o

CC: KB, ST Stun

This set does not get Aim!  It does have an Accuracy boost built into its powers, but it doesn't have a damage boost.  For CC, Beanbag is a decent ranged Stun, but it feels skippable to me.  AR by itself has been enough for a couple of CC strategies I've used.  M30 -> FA is great for mitigating the return fire you'll be taking during FA's animation, and an Ignite patch is awfully handy for keeping enemies out of your face.

What we want for AoE: a heckin' damage boost!  Also, some sort of Boss-level CC would be great.

So, how do /EM, /Dev, and /MC help with AR/?

/EM

ST: Bonesmasher is good for what ails ya.  It has great DPAS (damage per animation second) and does a ton of damage overall, and it's smashing and energy, so it's great against robots.  I also like Total Focus, but I feel like it's probably not as strong of a power as it feels like.  It *feels* heckin' strong, though.  You don't get a good way to leverage Ignite, but you can still make use of it by putting an Ignite patch in a corner and then using Power Thrust to knock something back into it.  When it gets up, use Buckshot and M30 to keep it there while PT recharges.

AoE: Boost Range helps our AoE problem, believe it or not.  The angle of the cones stays the same, so the longer the cone is, the wider it is at the end.  The target caps don't change, but BR makes it much easier to hit everything with FA.  It's also nice for Flamethrower, and the M30 -> FA strat is easier to time from further away, since the grenade takes longer to arrive.

Other: You get Build Up!  Since AR doesn't have Aim, having Build Up is even more important than it originally was.  As for CC, stacking Stun and Beanbag is probably pretty legit, but I never really felt the need for it - BU -> M30 -> FA solves many problems, and if a troublesome lieut survives, use Slug to fix it.  As for bosses getting in your face, TF, BS, PS, and Slug (Slug can KB) has generally been sufficient.

/Dev

ST: Fast-snipe is easy to get, but it's even easier for /Dev.  Anyone can do it with 4-slotted Tactics and a Kismet, but /Dev can do it with just Targeting Drone and a -1 Dual Origin enhancement.  Also, Targeting Drone gives Sniper Rifle (the power, not the AR set) a small-but-welcome boost to damage.  You get Web Grenade, so you can leverage Ignite easily, and Gun Drone contributes some damage.  That said, it's Lethal and not under your direct control.  Personally, I feel like getting Tactics, a damaging Immob, and Havoc Punch or Fire Sword is much better overall.

AoE: /Dev doesn't really do anything to help with AR's AoEs.  You do get some more AoEs, but the mines just aren't that useful in normal play, and especially so for AR.

Other: No damage boost, and AR really needs it.  You get some fun CC, including a ranged Stun to stack with Beanbag.  Field Operative is alright, but there are other good options, too, like putting a Stealth IO in one of your sprints.

Martial Combat

ST: I like Power Thrust more than Ki Push, but they seem similar enough that the above comments apply.  I like Storm Kick and Eagle's Claw, but they don't solve the ST problem quite as well as /EM.

AoE: Burst of Speed and Dragon's Tail are cool, but they seem awkward with AR/ - you don't need more AoEs, and PBAoEs and big cones don't mix well.

Other: You get a damage boost, but not a bursty one.  You get some good survivability tools, though.

So, in the end, I feel like /EM is the best of the three for improving AR/'s strengths and addressing its weaknesses, and I also feel that AR/EM is just plain stronger than AR/Dev or AR/MC.  AR/Dev works better now than it ever has, which is a pretty low bar, but it's definitely not a mistake to pair the two anymore.  AR/MC seems like it can get some work done, but the sets don't do anything special together.

AR/Elec could be good, with a damaging Immob, good blaps, BU, and a hold that can be stacked with Cryo Freeze Ray.  AR/Ice is one I've been interested in, with Ice Patch's CC making up for Frozen Fist being a bit anemic.  A nice thing about a supersoldier concept is that you can fit pretty much anything, depending on what other gear your character's toting - my AR/EM has cybernetic arms and my AR/Dark Corruptor was experimented on by the Council, but they're both basically supersoldiers.

Bonnes from the old forums.

's doesn't make things plural

It's also worth noting that if the snipe changes that are being tested go live as-is, then /Dev loses a part of what makes it look good compared to other sets.  I mean, I'd still slot Kismet and take Tactics anyway, especially on a /Dev with so many skippable powers, but it's something to be aware of.

Bonnes from the old forums.

's doesn't make things plural

Field Operative is alright, but there are other good options, too, like putting a Stealth IO in one of your sprints.

Just a note on Stealth. The advantage of Field Operative (and other stealth powers) is that they stack with the Stealth IO. Neither Field Operative or the Stealth IO alone will stop enemies from seeing you. They reduce the aggro range but if you want to actually be invisible you need to stack a stealth power with a stealth IO (or take one of the few full stealth powers like invisibility or hide). So a stealth IO isn't a replacement for Field Operative, it's a supplement to it.

Now that's not a reason on it's own to take Devices but it's something to keep in mind.

Defender Smash!

AR/MC would be my vote, because MC provides a lot of active mitigation including a toggled 30-ft PBAoE slow.  AR's big problems are its long cast times and poor tools for keeping enemies in its AoEs, so knockdowns and slows are a great way of augmenting it  The teleport smash/escape power is also very nice for helping to reposition in combat to hit with the long cone attacks.

No-Set Builds: Tanker Scrapper Brute Stalker