Extract Character Models for 3D printing?

• 1 month later
On 9/8/2021 at 3:08 PM, ParagonMan said:

Is there a known best way to extract the 3d model information for a character? 
I have a 3d printer and would love to have some physical copies of my favorite toons.

I understand the desire to have physical copies of your character. But the actual 3d models used in the game are very low rez, triangulated meshes. 

Would you actually want that printed, vs a more realistic treatment of the characters?

1 hour ago, Triumphant said:

@battlewraith  A reasonable question.  Don't know, though.  I'd have to see an actual prototype to judge.   Maybe someone who has done this (assuming that anyone has) can post a pic of the result? 

There was a guy that was making ball joint dolls based on the game files. You can see examples in Wild Claw's thread. The majority of the information in a coh character design is in the textures. Printing out the meshes will give you, for example, a faceted approximation of the volume of the head. All of the specific detail of that character would need to be painted on those flat planes.

• 4 weeks later

I think the devs don't have the original 3DSMax (or similar) models that were used in the original game to make the in game models and animations.

The ones that are there are very optimized for GPU display (from 2004ish) and not easy to manipulate and nearly impossible to turn into a proper model that could be used in a modern 3D tool. They are in some custom format for the Cryptic engine. (the pigg files).

The adventurous Space Janitor reporting for duty. Cleaning the universe since 1992 and Paragon City, the Rogue Isles and Praetoria since 2011.

BlueYellowRed.png.cffb9b692dd0484133ca1d9ee2c8c4ce.png