Question for healing a mastermind and their pets

AlchemicAlys

I am playing a healer with my son, who is a mastermind, but I'm finding it really hard to heal his pets when they're in the middle of groups of enemies. I know masterminds have a pet window, but is there a way for me to see it too, either in a pet window or in the team list. Or am I stuck trying to click them in the middle of mobs?

You are stuck 😞 There is no window for other players pets.

I've been maining MMs since they became available on live. 

The best healer for a MMs pets is the MM themselves because they have a window to select pets and pets tend to stay fairly close to them anyway. You would probably be better support if you play a AOE buffer where you can target your partner and buff him with shields which in most cases would give pets anywhere near him shields as well. 

In my experience, best support for an MM is another MM both running leadership pools and using AOE heals. You get a couple MMs on a team together and they are extremely tough because their group buffs and heals all stack on top of each other. 

• Like 3

You could also try a widow or soldier of arachnos. You could then spec for melee on the soldier or go fortunata for some controls on the widow. This would allow you to both buff his pets and keep aggro a little better.  Done right, his pets wouldn't need too much external healing, because wateever cuts through double leadership and buffs would probably killed them through heals too.  On anything less than +4, I don't even need half my buffs to help a team. I usually only run spider assault and maneuvers or double assault or double maneuvers depending on what those teams need more. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

what do you mean by "healer" that could be pain domination, nature, thermal or empathy but the 3 first sets will be much stronger then empathy together with a mastermind also which mastermind ninja's for example are notoriously weak in survival and really need buff/debuff help they will start getting 1 shotted later infact so do tankier pets

pets dont really tank damage for a mastermind they deal damage and die very fast alot of MM players take a taunt so they can tank for the pets and use the bodyguard mastermind mechanic that makes your damage taken spread out over every pet kind of a complicated class for your son if he is new full of things you never get told ingame like pet binds how bodyguard mode functions figuring out how to utilize it properly etc.

Using a target bind is your best bet.

For the MM themselves, they can use "petselect_name PETNAME"... however since these are not your own pets you're probably stuck using "target_custom_next", which doesn't respect the customised names of henchmen- so regardless of what your son has called his pets, you'll need to use their default names in your targetting binds, and then keep tapping the key to cycle through each one that matches until you get to whichever henchman you actually want to buff/heal. e.g. 

/target_custom_next friend "battle drone"
/target_custom_next friend "protector bot"
/target_custom_next friend "assault bot"

You should be able to turn on over the head health bars for friendly players and pets.   I'm pretty sure I have it turned on some of my characters so I can see other pet health.   . I can't remember if it's an /optionset command like the villain ones are or not.  I'll try to remember and look it up later.  

• Like 1

Try something like this for actual targeting.  I took it from the guide on http://shenanigunner.com/#TechGuide

/bind NUMPAD1 "powexec [heal power name]$$target_custom_next notmypet [pet 1 name]"
/bind NUMPAD6 "powexec [heal power name]$$target_custom_next notmypet [pet 6 name]"

Two taps of any of these keys will fire the heal at tht pet.  Have him name each pet something unique

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, tidge said:

T1s may end up needing healing the most, but that is like throwing good money after bad.

quite true.  T1 pets are several levels lower than the MM, which gives them the biggest "level debuff" that effectively lowers their defenses and makes them get hit more often.   They also have the lowest HP of all the pets.  T1 pets take it hard :).    That is why I absolutely love /Nature for Masterminds.   It has a cone heal where you just have to face the pets.  It also has a HP absorb that gives them an HP buffer so they don't get 1 or two shot so often.  Later on you get Entangling Aura which when slotted with some + Hold duration will hold most of the mobs in pack.      But all sets are pretty good for MM's.  I just like Nature a lot for any toon that can take it.