Rad/Rad tanker

Emerald Orchid

This is Rad/Claws, not Rad/Rad. Not that that's a bad thing at all, just pointing that out. No real need to slot Beta Decay. Spend the slots elsewhere (Shockwave is underslotted for example). Also not sure about Darkest Night, will you need it given its rather slow animation? 

Also Particle Shielding is a bit underslotted (as long as its ready again as it is stripped you're functionally immortal) and you are overslotted for +Recovery. Rad doesn't need a lot of Recovery, especially if you get Theft of Essense into Rad Therapy. My Rad/Martial has just Pancea in Health and Stamina 2 slotted and never runs out of End. Theft of Essense in Rad Therapy is ridiculously good. 

So I took my Rad/Martial build and swapped in Claws, slotted similiar to my Fire/Claws "brunker" to give this. This is very heavily weighed to close the Psi hole in Rad completely, and to basically be immune to Slows and -ToHit, so no worries if you fancy moving some of the 5th Unbreakable Guards to spend the slots elsewhere instead. 

I'm also a huge fan of proc-bombing Rad because Rad Therapy and Ground Zero have riduculous AoE (and massive Max Targets in the case of Ground Zero). Again feel free to change those as you see fit. This is another reason Rad loves Recharge & Forced Feedbacks. You end up being a sort-of Brunker build triggering Rad Therapys as attacks which also heal you and recover all of your End. 

S/L Defense is a little lower (because I'm Martial Storm Kick closes the gap) but since you're lacking DDR anyway I wouldn't overly sweat it. Core is "My resists are stupidly high anyway, I have an Absorb shield and my other Debuff resists are so good I'll barely notice being hit a bit more".  I do use Ageless Radial myself to pop if I'm struggling and my Def has been heavily debuffed (that will recover your Def with its DDR for a brief window and give you another lump of Recharge). The only enemies where I may need to do that are Nu-Banished if they have the combo of Rad blasts and a couple of those Avatars of Frost but even then I can handle them at +3x8 in that Unai arc, just need to pay a little more attention than usual. 

Spoiler

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.5.9
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Science Tanker
Primary Power Set: Radiation Armor
Secondary Power Set: Claws
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Energy Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Alpha Barrier -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(3), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(3), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(5), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(5), ImpArm-ResPsi(7)
Level 1: Swipe -- Acc-I(A)
Level 2: Gamma Boost -- Prv-Absorb%(A), PrfShf-End%(9)
Level 4: Proton Armor -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(9), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(11), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(11), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(13), ImpArm-ResPsi(13)
Level 6: Fallout Shelter -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(15), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(15), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(17), ImpArm-ResPsi(25), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(31)
Level 8: Radiation Therapy -- Prv-Heal/Rchg(A), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(17), PrfZng-Dam%(19), Erd-%Dam(19), TchoftheN-%Dam(21), ThfofEss-+End%(43)
Level 10: Strike -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(34), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(46), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(48)
Level 12: Taunt -- PrfZng-Taunt/Rchg/Rng(A)
Level 14: Beta Decay -- AchHee-ResDeb%(A)
Level 16: Spin -- SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(A), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(21), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(33), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(46), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(47), Arm-Dam%(47)
Level 18: Particle Shielding -- Prv-Heal/Rchg(A), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(23), DctWnd-Heal/Rchg(23), DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(25)
Level 20: Follow Up -- SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43), SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(43), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg(45), GssSynFr--Build%(45), Hct-Dam%(45)
Level 22: Kick -- Empty(A)
Level 24: Tough -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(36), UnbGrd-Max HP%(36), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(36), ImpArm-ResPsi(37), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(37)
Level 26: Ground Zero -- Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(27), AchHee-ResDeb%(27), TchofLadG-%Dam(29), Erd-%Dam(29), ShlBrk-%Dam(33)
Level 28: Focus -- SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(A), SprGntFis-Dmg/Rchg(31), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), Apc-Dam%(40), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(42)
Level 30: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(31)
Level 32: Meltdown -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), ImpArm-ResPsi(33), Ags-Psi/Status(34)
Level 35: Weave -- Rct-ResDam%(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(39), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(39)
Level 38: Shockwave -- SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg(A), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(39), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(40), PstBls-Acc/Dmg(40), FrcFdb-Rechg%(42)
Level 41: Focused Accuracy -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 44: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), WntGif-ResSlow(42), Ksm-ToHit+(48)
Level 47: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), DefBuff-I(49), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(49)
Level 49: Tactics -- RctRtc-Pcptn(A)
Level 1: Gauntlet 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A)
Level 1: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(46)
Level 50: Void Radial Final Judgement 
Level 50: Reactive Radial Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Knives of Vengeance Radial Superior Ally 
Level 50: Ageless Radial Epiphany 
Level 50: Assault Radial Embodiment 
Level 50: Musculature Core Paragon 
------------

Edited by Carnifax

You are correct, Rad/Claw. Sorry. Been thinking of making a Rad/Rad.

Darkest Night is a very potent to-hit debuff and damage debuff. Slotted Beta Decay is giving a -7% to-hit for being near me. Slotted Darkest Night is -25% to-hit and -30% damage for being near my anchor. Great for fights with lots of mobs, or in teams where the AVs have AoE. Beta Decay really pales vs Darkest Night in that regard.

I know Darkest Night is a decent debuff. I also know even my Ill/Dark doesn't use it much once they're higher level. It's mostly a mule for more recharge.

I honestly don't think a Rad tank needs it from playing mine solo at +3*8 / +4*8 since level 30 over the last few weeks. Or rather I think that the Acc and ToHit resistance from Focused Acc is more useful for them. But it's a straight swap so go for it if you prefer DN. One place I found it useful on my Staff/NRG Brute was to act as a "room aggroer" solo. Run in. Lob it at someone in the back. Run back around a corner. Whole room comes running (and is nicely debuffed)

Beta decay is mainly for the +recharge and the taunt. The debuff isn't useful other than it allows for an Achilles Heel.

Edited by Carnifax
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Carnifax said:

I honestly don't think a Rad tank needs it from playing mine solo at +3*8 / +4*8 since level 30 over the last few weeks. Or rather I think that the Acc and ToHit resistance from Focused Acc is more useful for them.

Seconded.  My Rad/Staffer wouldn't need it for the damage mitigation anyway.  The only thing that bothers me is debuffs.  Run up against CoT or Ghosts and I might as well just be a taunt bot without Focused Acc.

Still.. could be interesting if you want to rely on DN's -dmg instead of capping all resists.  Instead go for more defense bonuses and maybe the combination of that and the -tohit from DN will help you avoid most debuffs.   Just seems more complicated and less reliable than leaning into Rad's strengths: Resist, Recharge, and that absorb shield.  Building for debuff resistance rather than avoidance seems to work for me in most cases short of extreme challenge type stuff.

The interesting thing between -Dam and Resist is that they don't directly combine the same way as -ToHit and Defense do. So if you're at 75% resists and do a 20% damage debuff and something does 1000 damage to you then you'll take

(1000 * 0.8) * 0.25 damage = 200 damage. So essentially that 20% damage debuff is the same as adding 5% resists to yourself. 

(0.8 = the Damage debuff and 0.25 = the resist)

• 3 weeks later
On 10/21/2021 at 4:28 AM, Carnifax said:

So I took my Rad/Martial build and swapped in Claws, slotted similiar to my Fire/Claws "brunker" to give this

Lovely build! Don't mind if I do! 

I'm going to use this almost 100%, I might just swap Taunt for something else, maybe a travel power, Assault or Physical Perfection.

40 minutes ago, Aeroprism said:

Lovely build! Don't mind if I do! 

I'm going to use this almost 100%, I might just swap Taunt for something else, maybe a travel power, Assault or Physical Perfection.

You won't need Physical Perfection. Nukey-chance-for-endy-Rad Therapy is ridiculously good at replenishing the blue bar.

It's also stupidly huge AoE on a tank (hence why I ended up sticking the purple proc in there).

It's a very "even" tank in that you end up not fearing anything much at all. Only +3/4 Banished frost bosses are remotely threatening, if you aren't paying attention.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carnifax said:

Nukey-chance-for-endy-Rad Therapy is ridiculously good at replenishing the blue bar.

It's also stupidly huge AoE on a tank (hence why I ended up sticking the purple proc in there).

It's big, but sadly has a 10 target cap (well technically 11, but the 11th is you).  Still nice, but Ground Zero... is the monster.  Not as wide, but still a 22.5ft radius on a tank and... drumroll... thirty target cap (although that includes allies).  It's ridiculous.  I put a pair of Superior Avalanches in it (bonus 15% slow res) including the Knockdown proc along with four other damage procs and this thing just puts the whole room on its collective asses whenever I let er rip.  It's Shield Charge without the teleport but with better proc chances.

Also have yet to find I need the Theft of Essence in Therapy.  RadA has just so much endurance.  I put another damage proc in there instead. YMMV.

Since we're discussing that tank: the build provided by @Carnifax has an Overwhelming Force KB-KD + DMG in it.

I moved things around a bit and replaced that with a simple Sudden Acceleration KB-KD and capitalized on the Winter set bonuses to get better fire/cold defense and better recharge for Shockwave.

The cost for this was the +END slot in stamina which is now a 6th slot for shockwave.  The end cost will be minimal but the character ends up with a slightly smaller DEF hole for C/F, more HP and a more, well rounded Shockwave.

Oh and the KB-KD costs 2M instead of 20 now.

I'll post the build tonight.

• 5 months later