Katana/Elec Brute or Scrapper

malvo79

Hi Guys! I'm starting a new toon and I'm thinking of going Brute for my Katana/Elec. The problem is that I've  been thinking that Katana might be better on a Scrapper. I've ran the numbers and it's showing that the base damage is better on the Scrapper, but the defensive powers are better on the Brute. I also know the numbers don't tell the entire story. Does Fury make up for the damage gap? What do you guys think? Also I already have a concept for this character and trying to stay /Elec but I'm willing to go /EA as well... Thanks in advance for the feedback

Brutes have a higher cap on Resistances (which is what Electric Armor is going to provide) but they do not get higher values from the Electric Armor powers.

Brutes are set to do less damage than Scrapper but be more survivable, so if doing the highest damage you can do between the two ATs is your goal, go Scrapper. If so, I'd say go Katana/EA, since Scrapper resistances cap at 75%. If you decide Brute damage is livable then  either EA or Elec can be made to work.

My basic guide is: if you team a lot, go Brute. The larger mobs will work well with keeping your Fury bar full. If you tend to solo a lot, go Scrapper. The Crit factor will add to your damage. Incidentally, if you're looking for moar dmg, you might want to consider Devices or Ninja. 😃

Including fury, brutes will outdamage scrappers.

• Scrapper base damage scale is 1.125. Assuming 95% +dmg from enhancements, scrappers will be at 2.19 before criticals. Criticals have a 5% to 15% chance to occur depending on the rank of the foe and the power being used. Assuming an average chance of 7.5%, scrappers should average 2.36. This ignores the ATOs, which increase the chance of criticals.
  • Brute base damage scale is 0.75. Fury provides about 175% +dmg*, which is added to the 95% from enhancements, bringing brutes to 2.78. 

* based on observation of combat attributes during game play

Electric Armor on a brute can cap resistance (90%) to smashing, lethal and energy damage and have ~65% resistance to fire, cold and psi.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

On 11/7/2021 at 8:08 AM, Uun said:

Including fury, brutes will outdamage scrappers.

If the Brute can maintain 88% Fury continuously, sure. In practice that is difficult even assuming not stop fighting. I took some screenshots for a post I ended up not making in another thread during the Trick or Treat event (so easy to stay in a continuous fight because working the motel in Peregrine when other people were around meant plenty of targets) and while I did grab pics of Fury reaching the 90s there were quite a bit around 85 too. Soloing, you spend time moving through the mission. In a group you cannot guarantee you will be getting all the incoming attacks on top of the decay spent moving between spawns and missions.

By contrast a Scrapper does not ever need to build Fury. Their damage output varies only between them getting a critical hit and not, which is to say its spikey but generally the same thing: ____-_______-__-________-_____-_________