The Statesman (and Freedom Phalanx) Appreciation Series

Take One

Something I have been complaining about for a long time is how Statesman was treated after Signature Story Arc 1. He was simply removed from the game, leaving a void where people who started playing after the release of SSA1 wouldn't have any idea who the guy in Who Will Die even was, or why the event was a big deal. Sure, they might figure it out from the context, but it still felt very wrong. I'm not aware of what kind of intra-office politics that might have led to the decision to delete Statesman from the game so thoroughly (but not entirely), and I don't really care. All I care about is that we now have a chance to fix it.

Going Rogue allows a player to interact with the Praetors on a very personal level, as they function as contacts and give out missions. Their terrible personalities are all laid bare for everyone to see in the writing, and we get to know them very well over 20 levels of Praetorian content. The same can't be said for Statesman and the Freedom Phalanx. There is very little information about the Freedom Phalanx and none about Statesman for a new character just starting out in Atlas Park. Barely even a mention of any of them, after you meet them briefly in the Galaxy City tutorial.

If I was in charge of the game I would have made Statesman a contact in Atlas Park, near Ms. Liberty, that would give out missions from level 1-20 or maybe even higher, so you can really get to know him and the rest of the FP, as naturally they would feature heavily in the missions. This would include Sister Psyche, but not Penny Yin, for obvious reasons. After we have been able to interact with these heroes for 20+ levels, the events of SSA1 might actually mean something to our characters and make more of an impression.

After a character played SSA1, the Statesman contact would have been replaced with a memorial full of flowers, candles, letters, etc, and surrounded by grieving citizens. If clicked, they should all provide a sentence about what Statesman meant to them, the city, or the world. A similar memorial for Sister Psyche would exist in Independence Port. Unfortunately I'm not in charge and can't make these changes, but what I can do is write AE stories. So I decided to try to make a series of stories that lets a new hero get to know Statesman and the Freedom Phalanx better, before they are torn down and destroyed by an uncaring universe.

Without any further ado, here's the first arc in what I hope will be an entire series:

Paragon Heights And Depths

by @Take One

Arc ID: 44889

Keywords: Solo Friendly, Canon Related, Sci-Fi

Level: 1-5

Description: You have just barely escaped from the total destruction of Galaxy City when Statesman gives you an important task.

Edited by Take One
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Check out my stories in the Mission Architect. Just search for "@Take One" or "SFMA". Here are some enticing titles:

• Praetoria-related: Earth Revolution Red, Earth Revolution Blue
  • Mercenary Action: West Libertalia: Born And Raised, West Libertalia: Global Empire, West Libertalia: Love And Rockets
  • Soldier of Arachnos Arcs: The Tangled Weave, A Taste For Evil, Faultline By Night, The Warburg Connection,
  • Various: Project Dragon, Evolve Or Die, The Murders in the RWZ Morgue, The Last Crystal Out Of Cimerora

9 hours ago, Take One said:

Something I have been complaining about for a long time is how Statesman was treated after Signature Story Arc 1. He was simply removed from the game, leaving a void where people who started playing after the release of SSA1 wouldn't have any idea who the guy in Who Will Die even was, or why the event was a big deal. Sure, they might figure it out from the context, but it still felt very wrong. I'm not aware of what kind of intra-office politics that might have led to the decision to delete Statesman from the game so thoroughly (but not entirely), and I don't really care. All I care about is that we now have a chance to fix it.

I once asked Positron (Matt Miller) whether killing Statesman was intended to be a middle finger to Jack Emmert. He said 'No, we had creative differences but still Emmert is a great guy'.

Edited by Kyksie

11 minutes ago, Kyksie said:

I once asked Positron (Matt Miller) whether killing Statesman was intended to be a middle finger to Jack Emmert. He said 'No, we had creative differences but still Emmert is a great guy'.

I believe you, @Kyksie, but I don't believe his answer to you. The facts in the game say different IMO.

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

1 hour ago, Kyksie said:

I would like to think that Matt Miller and Jack Emmert are/were both professional enough for this to be true.

• Like 1

Check out my stories in the Mission Architect. Just search for "@Take One" or "SFMA". Here are some enticing titles:

• Mercenary Action: West Libertalia: Born And Raised, West Libertalia: Global Empire, West Libertalia: Love And Rockets
  • Soldier of Arachnos Arcs: The Tangled Weave, A Taste For Evil, Faultline By Night, The Warburg Connection,
  • Various: Project Dragon, Evolve Or Die, The Murders in the RWZ Morgue, The Last Crystal Out Of Cimerora

That's funny, lately I've been thinking, poor Back Alley Brawler, resigned to a seldom-visited corner of Atlas with not much to do, and have started to write a Back Alley Brawler Task Force.  Cool to see you were thinking we need some more States as well.

I enjoyed your Statesman arc!  It was nice seeing a little Sister Psyche mention in there too, and of course Flower Knight!  

• Thumbs Up 1

Play my AE Adventures, listed under @Jiro Ito, including award winners:

"The Headless Huntsman of Salamanca" #43870 **Scrapbot AE Contest Winner May 2022**           

"On the Claw-Tipped Wings of Betrayal" #43524 **November 2021 Dev's Choice**  

"The Defenders of Talos" #44578 **Mission Architect Competition Winner for October 2021: REBIRTH**  

While I'm waiting for inspiration and writing more arcs myself I figured I might add some other arcs I've found that feature Statesman or the Freedom Phalanx, that I like.

Wayward Son

by @TakelGryph

Arc ID: 30287

Level 1-54

Description: Could Statesman really be fated to destroy the multiverse?

• Like 1

• 1 month later

I'm on board with this. Maybe cross post this to the Suggestions section - try and make sure it's seen?

From a gameplay perspective, the first 20 levels could use something fun to do that isn't the DFB.

So, to expand on this:

Have a new Stateman contact for levels 1-20, as you said. The contact could sit roughly where the Galaxy City NPC is currently on Atlas Plaza. 

The character gives out a repeatable mini-TF, or Storyarc, designed for low level characters, perhaps based in Galaxy City or Praetoria (acceptance of the mission transports you directly there). For extra bonus points, have Statesman as an ally in the content - build up a connection to the character. Maybe have some other Phalanx characters appear.

Once you level past 20, the Statesman contact is replaced by a Shrine/plaque/Statue of some sort, surrounded by mourning civilians. It should also be available to revisit in Ouroboros to claim any associated badges.

I'll take a look at your arc, as well.