IT EXPLODES! (But not really)

Aeroprism

Hello beautiful people.

This weekend rolled a Fire/Fire Sentinel, first out of concept but then out of the idea that I really want to like Fire/ even though the seventeen times I tried a Fire/ Blaster, it failed.  Since I never liked any of my Blasters to begin with, I thought therein might lie the problem. 

So far it's fun, really, but one thing surprised me: the explosion radius of Fireball.  I know that I should not expect Tanker-grade PBAOE range and target number. I also know that the pure range of Sentinel powers is lesser than that of a Blaster. That's why we have armor. Still, repeatedly last night, when that fireball hit groups that were kinda-sorta semi-packed, it felt like a wet firecracker hitting so very few targets.

I don't care about damage, I know this is not a Blaster or a Scrapper.  But are my AoE going to have an insanely small hit radius all around?

Sentinel AoE target cap is 5, IIRC. All AoE attacks will only hit 5 targets, regardless of actual power radius.

• Thumbs Up 1

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

1 hour ago, Hardship said:

Does that include the T9 like Nova and such as well?

I thought it was 10 for T9’s but 5 or 6 for AoEs or Cones.

However your T9 on Sents has a lower base recharge than on Def/Corr/Blasters.  Which is necessary because you’ll need to fire it off more frequently to have the same effect.

Unlike most other ranged attackers I find I just work my T9 into the normal rotation and make sure I shift targets frequently.  It’s also why a Fire/Rad/Fire Sentinel plays as well as it does because you basically get several AoE’s, a nuke and a mini-nuke to clean up a spawn, assuming you shift your targets between shots.

Edited by Crysis
  • Thumbs Up 1

For Primaries the AOE are 10 targets normally and Cones are 6. Except for Water which is broken and has the caps from other ATs so 16/10 for AOE/Cone.

For Secondary Ground Zero has the same 30 target cap on all ATs and Burn hits 5 targets.

In the APP/PPPs things are all over the place.  For example Psychic Shockwave is 15ft 16 targets, Engulfing Darkness is 15 feet 10 targets and Fire Sword Circle is 10ft 10 targets, but they are all PBAOEs. 

At some point when CPH does a pass on Sentinels I'm sure Water will get fixed and the APP/PPPs will get normalized somewhat. 

You can parse through them all on CoD if you're bored enough.  https://cod.uberguy.net./html/archetype.html?at=sentinel

1 hour ago, jojogladco said:

For Secondary Ground Zero has the same 30 target cap on all ATs and Burn hits 5 targets.

In the APP/PPPs things are all over the place.  For example Psychic Shockwave is 15ft 16 targets, Engulfing Darkness is 15 feet 10 targets and Fire Sword Circle is 10ft 10 targets, but they are all PBAOEs. 

At some point when CPH does a pass on Sentinels I'm sure Water will get fixed and the APP/PPPs will get normalized somewhat. 

You can parse through them all on CoD if you're bored enough.  https://cod.uberguy.net./html/archetype.html?at=sentinel

Which is -exactly- what makes Fire/Rad/Fire a nice combo for a Sent.   Aim+Fireball+Inferno+GroundZero+FireSword Circle is a really good spawn killer.   Throw Fire Cages in there just before FSC if you are down to just a few left standing and the rest is an easy mopup.

Which is why I hope and pray that whenever Sents get "fixed" what will be fixed is the aggro and target limits.  The lower base damage is fine if they leave recharge alone, but even more so if they up our target/aggro limits.