A "bounce back" in the email

Palehood

I was looking at the General Chat two weeks ago and somebody was asking if there was a Sent section in the Inbox because he had accidentally sent a large amount of Influence to a character of his. But since he mispelled the character, he lost a lot of influence after he sent it. Is there a way that the developers can make a bounce-back option so that Influence or other Items get sent back to the sender if the destined character doesn't exist? I'm sure I and others wouldn't want to lose great amounts of Influence/Infamy or other precious items if they mispelled the character.

• Lead Game Master

If the character doesn't exist, then the e-mail won't send. The fact that it didn't bounce means that someone got a pay-day. Sorry =(

They could try sending another mail explaining the situation and asking for it back, but that's all I can really suggest. 

The best practice in this case is to put a reward merit into the attachment box. This will auto-fill your global name, so you'll know it's you getting it. You can remove the merit afterwards, before you send. If sending to an alt on another account, have both logged in at the same time and use the Trade interface.

As for a "refund/undo" button: From what I understand, mail is one of those old systems tied up in spaghetti code, and trying to bounce e-mails can do Very Bad Things, which is why even us GMs are unable to help in these scenarios. So while your request isn't an impossible one, it would require someone being willing and able to rewrite the e-mail code from scratch. Sadly, that isn't a priority afaik, but maybe one of the Devs will see this (once they're back from break) and decide it's a worthwhile project, so, fingers crossed!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

GM Impervium
Homecoming FAQ; Need a hand? File a Support Ticket! Want to lend a hand? Apply to be a GM!

One method I like is simply sending an e-mail to my global name and even after it is marked read, leave it in my inbox.

Then, when I want to send Inf or something else, I just reply to that e-mail.

That way there is no chance of mistyping the e-mail address.

The first e-mail can be a test e-mail without anything.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, GM Impervium said:

If the character doesn't exist, then the e-mail won't send.

Sorry I didn't know that yet.

The fact that it didn't bounce means that someone got a pay-day. Sorry =(

Yeah. I never thought of that possibility.

4 hours ago, laudwic said:

One method I like is simply sending an e-mail to my global name and even after it is marked read, leave it in my inbox.

Then, when I want to send Inf or something else, I just reply to that e-mail.

That way there is no chance of mistyping the e-mail address.

The first e-mail can be a test e-mail without anything.

That is the method I used since I came back. The first email I sent had an attachment with something I know I put in (like an inf amount that has meaning to me or specific messaging; i forget off-hand) as a check. That was a few years ago. Everything since has been replies to that message.

Mostly on Torchbearer, but if you ever see me on, feel free to say hello!

Astral.Kai - Peacebringer; Dark.Enforcer - Dark/Shield Scrapper; Spark.Enforcer - Electrical/Shield Scrapper; Shadow.Reign - Dark/Regen Brute;

Glitter - Warshade;

And others to be added as I get them up to snuff, lol!