Grav/Storm and DP/Storm team

Socks10

I had been looking for a Tanker to fit a storm-themed group and got some good ideas there. However, the buddy I play with consistently still prefers our original Storm characters to play with. So, I’m looking for builds or even just tips for slotting. I have been away from my PC and had no access to the game or Mids, so I’ve been trying to look up builds and do some research while I’m away. There is…a lot of information. 

I have read through a lot of the Proc threads for both Controller and Defender and got a lot of good information. My character is Grav/Storm/Ice. Reading through these threads has giving me a lot of questions on power choices alone:

1. Get rid of fan favourite Propel for a more proccable Crush (don’t think I could drop it)?

2. Find a place for Thunderclap to give me a mag 2 stun that could be useful?

3. Proc up Dimension Shift to go with Crushing Field?

4. Take Frost Breath to have a powerful cone attack to use against immobilized groups?

Im looking forward to getting back to my PC so I can play around with a build for both my friend and I. I am going to purchase both of us some set Enhancements for our characters to try to get the most out of our builds. I think I found a good build in the Defender Proc thread for my friend. I’m trying to piece together something for myself. I have a full set of Will of the Controller I’m going to take off of another character I don’t really use. I also can take some Basilisks Gaze off of that character as well. 

So, I guess I’m looking for some build ideas and slotting ideas. Any tips would be appreciated. I found a post in another thread that I lost. It was discussing when you would Proc a power over when you would just put a full set in it. What is the criteria for that?

I have done some work in Mid's on a build I think might work. I wasn't able to fit in Dimension Shift or Thunderclap, but I was able to add Frost Breath. I basically took a lot of information from other builds and did what I thought looked good. I'm sure there are mistakes, so if anyone could point them out, that would be great. 🙂

Spoiler

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.1.2.5
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Gravity Storm: Level 50 Magic Controller
Primary Power Set: Gravity Control
Secondary Power Set: Storm Summoning
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Ice Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Lift

• (A) Apocalypse - Damage
  • (3) Apocalypse - Damage/Recharge
  • (3) Apocalypse - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (5) Apocalypse - Damage/Endurance
  • (5) Apocalypse - Chance of Damage(Negative)
  • (11) Gladiator's Javelin - Chance of Damage(Toxic)

Level 1: Gale

• (A) Force Feedback - Chance for +Recharge

Level 2: Gravity Distortion

• (A) Thunderstrike - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • (7) Gladiator's Javelin - Chance of Damage(Toxic)
  • (7) Ghost Widow's Embrace - Chance of Damage(Psionic)
  • (9) Gladiator's Net - Chance of Damage(Lethal)
  • (9) Unbreakable Constraint - Chance for Smashing Damage
  • (11) Impeded Swiftness - Chance of Damage(Smashing)

Level 4: Hover

• (A) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed

Level 6: Propel

• (A) Superior Winter's Bite - Accuracy/Damage
  • (13) Superior Winter's Bite - Damage/RechargeTime
  • (13) Superior Winter's Bite - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • (15) Superior Winter's Bite - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (15) Superior Winter's Bite - Damage/Endurance/Accuracy/RechargeTime

Level 8: Hasten

• (A) Recharge Reduction IO

Level 10: Steamy Mist

• (17) Luck of the Gambler - Defense
  • (19) Shield Wall - +Res (Teleportation), +5% Res (All)
  • (19) Shield Wall - Defense/Endurance

Level 12: Crushing Field

• (A) Superior Overpowering Presence - Accuracy/Control Duration/Endurance
  • (23) Ragnarok - Chance for Knockdown
  • (25) Superior Overpowering Presence - RechargeTime/Energy Font
  • (25) Positron's Blast - Chance of Damage(Energy)
  • (27) Trap of the Hunter - Chance of Damage(Lethal)
  • (27) Impeded Swiftness - Chance of Damage(Smashing)

Level 14: Maneuvers

• (33) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance
  • (34) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance/Recharge
  • (34) Luck of the Gambler - Defense

Level 16: Freezing Rain

• (A) Annihilation - Chance for Res Debuff
  • (21) Superior Frozen Blast - Recharge/Chance for Immobilize
  • (21) Tempered Readiness - Endurance/Recharge/Slow
  • (23) Pacing of the Turtle - Endurance/Recharge/Slow
  • (29) Impeded Swiftness - Endurance/Recharge/Slow

Level 18: Gravity Distortion Field

• (A) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Control Duration
  • (31) Superior Will of the Controller - Control Duration/Recharge
  • (31) Superior Will of the Controller - Endurance/Recharge
  • (31) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Control Duration/Endurance
  • (33) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Control Duration/Endurance/Recharge
  • (33) Superior Will of the Controller - Recharge/Chance for Psionic Damage

Level 20: Hurricane

• (A) Dark Watcher's Despair - To Hit Debuff/Endurance

Level 22: Boxing

• (A) Empty

Level 24: Tough

• (A) Gladiator's Armor - Resistance
  • (34) Gladiator's Armor - End/Resist

Level 26: Wormhole

• (36) Sudden Acceleration - Knockback to Knockdown
  • (36) Absolute Amazement - Accuracy/Recharge

Level 28: Weave

• (29) Luck of the Gambler - Defense
  • (36) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance
  • (37) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance/Recharge

Level 30: Fly

• (A) Blessing of the Zephyr - Knockback Reduction (4 points)

Level 32: Singularity

• (A) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (37) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Damage
  • (37) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (39) Expedient Reinforcement - Endurance/Damage/Recharge
  • (39) Soulbound Allegiance - Chance for Build Up
  • (39) Overwhelming Force - Damage/Chance for Knockdown/Knockback to Knockdown

Level 35: Tornado

• (A) Soulbound Allegiance - Damage/Recharge
  • (40) Soulbound Allegiance - Damage/Endurance
  • (40) Touch of Lady Grey - Chance for Negative Damage
  • (40) Force Feedback - Chance for +Recharge
  • (42) Sudden Acceleration - Knockback to Knockdown
  • (42) Explosive Strike - Chance for Smashing Damage

Level 38: Lightning Storm

• (A) Thunderstrike - Damage/Recharge
  • (42) Thunderstrike - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (43) Thunderstrike - Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (43) Gladiator's Javelin - Chance of Damage(Toxic)
  • (43) Explosive Strike - Chance for Smashing Damage
  • (45) Force Feedback - Chance for +Recharge

Level 41: Hibernate

• (A) Preventive Medicine - Chance for +Absorb

Level 44: Frost Breath

• (A) Positron's Blast - Damage/Range
  • (45) Positron's Blast - Chance of Damage(Energy)
  • (45) Positron's Blast - Damage/Endurance
  • (46) Positron's Blast - Damage/Recharge
  • (46) Positron's Blast - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • (46) Javelin Volley - Chance of Damage(Lethal)

Level 47: Ice Storm

• (A) Ragnarok - Damage
  • (48) Ragnarok - Damage/Recharge
  • (48) Ragnarok - Damage/Endurance
  • (48) Ragnarok - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (50) Ragnarok - Accuracy/Recharge

Level 49: Frozen Armor

• (50) Steadfast Protection - Resistance/+Def 3%
  • (50) Gladiator's Armor - TP Protection +3% Def (All)

Level 1: Brawl

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Containment 

Level 1: Sprint
  • (A) Celerity - +Stealth
Level 2: Rest
  • (A) Empty
Level 1: Swift
  • (A) Empty
Level 1: Health
  • (A) Panacea - +Hit Points/Endurance
Level 1: Hurdle
  • (A) Empty
Level 1: Stamina
  • (A) Performance Shifter - Chance for +End
  • (17) Performance Shifter - EndMod
Level 30: Afterburner 

------------

Looks extremely end heavy but i like the look of it lthough i'd do some proc swapping and maybe shift a few slots. Lift and propel both take ff+rech which is nice in single target attack chains. Slotting procs that do lethal/smashing could be swapped for more exotic and less resisted ones. Neuronic over impeded in grav distortion. Bombardment over impeded in crushing field and dump the rag chance for kd, its an immob so i don't see the point in having knockdown in it. I like the 3 end/rech/slow bits in freezing but if you throw in 3 undermined you have some decent - def and a couple of small but useful set bonuses and with an immob you dont need the slow from it. Or throw in 3 more damage procs i know people say they don't fire off well in pseudo pets like sleet/freezing rain but they will go off eventually at some point. And i'd find slots for a miracle+recovery and maybe a numi+regen in health. Unless your plan is to only play at 50 with a perma ageless core. Otherwise you'll have 0 blue bar after dropping a few of those pets. Maybe a couple more of the overpowering pieces in crushing field for hp/resist you don't have much and you will get hit at some point and it will hurt...a lot.

Hey, thanks a ton for the responses. This is my first time putting together any type of build for myself. I got some of the slotting ideas from some other builds on these forums that used these powersets, but it's good to get some alternate ideas of what could work better. 

I really ran out of slots. I couldn't figure out what I could move around to get more either. I'd like to put more in Health and Hasten as you mentioned....I'd also like to put another in Fly and Stamina.  I haven't played with this build yet and just bought some set pieces today to get it ready. I have a feeling that I will have trouble with End though. I'll need to find those slots one way or another. 

• 2 weeks later

I have too much of a problem with alts to fully put the time into testing this build yet, but, as the title says, I mainly play this character with a DP/Storm Defender friend. I have played this build with him and one thing I did notice is that I have too many AoEs. It's probably because he's there too, but I don't need to apply much more than Freezing Rain and my Crushing Field, followed by Tornado. And in the situations that I could use more AoEs, I need to pace myself because of endurance issues. 

I also have a Grav/Time Controller and have been thinking about reworking his build. But, some thoughts that I would like to work into this build would be:

1. Get Teleport Friend to be able to move my Singularity around the battlefield. 

2. Get Enflame to be able to add more damage to my Singularity. 

3. Get Dimension Shift to create a dome of storm chaos. 

Dimension shift I always want to try to work into my Gravity builds but I never end up using it. I swear I will someday though. It sounds like it would be cool here, but to be honest, the mobs will be flopping around enough that putting them in a dome for my protection probably won't be necessary. Unless it does allow for the dome to negate any alpha that might be sent my way. Hmm. As for how I'm going to get these powers into my build, I think I need to take the AoEs out of Ice Mastery and switch to Mystic Flight as my travel power. That might do it. 

Now, off to Mids to see what I can fit in here...

Edit - I found where I'm going to get the slots. There are too many power pools in my idea. I need to drop either Fighting or Leadership. I think, as a Controller, I'm going to drop fighting. This will hurt my defences, but I should be controlling everything anyway, right?

Edited by Socks10
I found the slots...

Okay, a few things. Grav/Storm is pretty much my favorite controller combo. It is fun and crazy good. 

First this.

On 1/3/2022 at 9:14 AM, Socks10 said:

1. Get rid of fan favourite Propel for a more proccable Crush (don’t think I could drop it)?

2. Find a place for Thunderclap to give me a mag 2 stun that could be useful?

3. Proc up Dimension Shift to go with Crushing Field?

4. Take Frost Breath to have a powerful cone attack to use against immobilized groups?

1. NO

2. NO

3. REALLY NO

4. Yes

On to the build itself

On 1/4/2022 at 12:01 PM, Socks10 said:

Gravity Storm: Level 50 Magic Controller

So, first of all, if you right-click on a power, that will "Lock" it in the Info window. After doing so, hover your curser over the bottom part of the Info window where the damage calculation is. A popup appears to show you the proc chance is on your powers. This is important.

1) Crushing Field, The proc chance on those procs is 10%. The best thing to do with CF is just 1 slot it for Acc. Alternatively, you can slot it with a set for the set bonuses.

2) Frost Breath is a great proc-monster. Proc that one up!

3) Freezing Rain, slot for damage AND add in the OF KD proc on that. Leaving the Immob proc in it is pretty cool. It's a monster.

4) Ice Storm, dump the Damage Rag and add in the KD Rag.

Now you have some seriously insane KD control Between Freezing Rain, Tornado, Lightning Storm, Singularity, and Ice Storm, you can nearly control a whole field just with flopping. On my Grav/Storm, I can often go through an entire mob without any grav powers except for a Crushing Field to keep them from running out of all the fear/run effect, and a few Propels. 

5) Hasten, definitely 2-slot.

That should do ya. I would personally build for more global recharge, but you have to sacrifice some def/res for that, so that may not be your thing. The last thing, play it aggressively. Get in there and show them who is boss. Nobody moves until you say so, and your damage just thrashes them down.

Thanks for the reply. The information on how to tell what a powers proc chance is will be very helpful. I usually just find a build on the forums I think looks good and follow it as I level up. This was my first attempt at trying to work something out using multiple sources of information. I'm still learning how to properly build a character and really have a long way to go still. For example, I'd love more recharge, but not sure what a number is I should be shooting for. I want def and res, but really, as a controller, I feel like these are less important. Maybe they won't be at the end game though. 

I took my Grav/Storm build above out for some solo and duo missions yesterday. It played really well as is. Here are some thoughts, first on my comments in my last post:

1. I'm not sure taking Teleport Ally will be as useful as I originally thought. I mostly used Wormhole to bring a whole spawn right on top of my Singularity. No need to send him anywhere. I am still interested in having Teleport powers though. Mainly to help my friends get around. Really not necessary, and not sure how I fit it in anyway. 

2. I don't think I really understood how Enflame worked. I think it could be useful still, but not worth the investment. 

3. I still think Dimension Shift is a useful power and I want to make it work in a build. I don't think it is going to be in my Grav/Storm build. Maybe Grav/Time if I can fit it in with all of the good power choices in those two sets. 

Thoughts on @VV's comments:

1. Great information on Crushing Field. I use it every fight and with the Energy font proc in there, I barely saw it. On my Grav/Time, I have that proc slotted in Wormhole, and I feel like I see it more there, but its been awhile. I'll definitely switch that slotting up to one of your recommendations. Just not sure which one yet. I have a feeling I could use more slots in other places though. 

2. I went into my play sessions with my Grav/Storm yesterday with some thoughts on powers I could drop so I could try out some new ideas. One idea was to drop the AoE powers from Ice Mastery. This was a terrible idea. I will be keeping both of these powers and slotting them up as you suggest. Frost Breath is an absolute beast and I can't wait to try it with procs in it. 

3. I love Freezing Rain and will be looking into implementing these proc ideas as well. 

4. Same here. Thanks for the ideas on how to slot procs into Ice Storm as well. 

5. I will have to add another slot to Hasten. As it stands now, things are coming back fairly quickly, but I could always use more. Maybe its all the +recharge I have slotted that is helping out. Another slot in Hasten would definitely be ideal though. 

My only other real question that comes to mind now on how much the Fighting pool is really needed for Controllers. I have seen some other posts on this topic and a lot of people seem to agree that Leadership would be more beneficial, as the powers also affect your pet. However, I read the forums a lot and pretty much every build you come across has the Fighting pool. My thought is to keep my build's power choices as is for now, follow the recommended slotting ideas provided by both commenters above, and then slowly keep messing around with this build in Mids looking for optimizations. 

Thanks again. 

Notes - Added possible rework of build. Couple of notes. I think it looks good. Not sure if another slot is needed in either Hover or Fly. Also not sure if I need Sudden Acceleration in Hurricane, so I might be able to remove a slot from there. I also think I could remove a slot from Frost Breath, as I grabbed all the slots I could and three set pieces on Positron's Blast is not really offering me much. Removing all the slots from Crushing Field really gave me some flexibility. I was able to find slots to put two in Health and one in Stamina as well. 

Spoiler

G Storm 2: Level 50 Magic Controller
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Ice Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Lift

• (A) Apocalypse - Damage
  • (3) Apocalypse - Damage/Recharge
  • (3) Apocalypse - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (5) Apocalypse - Damage/Endurance
  • (5) Apocalypse - Chance of Damage(Negative)
  • (11) Gladiator's Javelin - Chance of Damage(Toxic)

Level 1: Gale

Level 2: Gravity Distortion

• (A) Thunderstrike - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • (7) Gladiator's Javelin - Chance of Damage(Toxic)
  • (7) Ghost Widow's Embrace - Chance of Damage(Psionic)
  • (9) Gladiator's Net - Chance of Damage(Lethal)
  • (9) Unbreakable Constraint - Chance for Smashing Damage
  • (11) Neuronic Shutdown - Chance of Damage(Psionic)

Level 4: Hover

Level 6: Propel

• (A) Superior Winter's Bite - Accuracy/Damage
  • (13) Superior Winter's Bite - Damage/RechargeTime
  • (13) Superior Winter's Bite - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • (15) Superior Winter's Bite - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (15) Superior Winter's Bite - Damage/Endurance/Accuracy/RechargeTime
  • (17) Range IO

Level 8: Hasten

• (A) Recharge Reduction IO
  • (17) Recharge Reduction IO

Level 10: Steamy Mist

• (19) Luck of the Gambler - Defense
  • (19) Shield Wall - +Res (Teleportation), +5% Res (All)
  • (21) Shield Wall - Defense/Endurance

Level 12: Crushing Field

• (A) Accuracy IO

Level 14: Maneuvers

• (42) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance
  • (42) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance/Recharge
  • (42) Luck of the Gambler - Defense

Level 16: Freezing Rain

• (A) Annihilation - Chance for Res Debuff
  • (21) Superior Frozen Blast - Recharge/Chance for Immobilize
  • (23) Overwhelming Force - Damage/Chance for Knockdown/Knockback to Knockdown
  • (23) Positron's Blast - Chance of Damage(Energy)
  • (25) Bombardment - Chance for Fire Damage

Level 18: Gravity Distortion Field

• (A) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Control Duration
  • (25) Superior Will of the Controller - Control Duration/Recharge
  • (27) Superior Will of the Controller - Endurance/Recharge
  • (27) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Control Duration/Endurance
  • (29) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Control Duration/Endurance/Recharge
  • (29) Superior Will of the Controller - Recharge/Chance for Psionic Damage

Level 20: Hurricane

• (A) Dark Watcher's Despair - To Hit Debuff/Endurance
  • (43) Sudden Acceleration - Knockback to Knockdown

Level 22: Boxing

• (A) Empty

Level 24: Tough

• (A) Gladiator's Armor - Resistance
  • (31) Gladiator's Armor - End/Resist

Level 26: Wormhole

• (31) Sudden Acceleration - Knockback to Knockdown
  • (31) Absolute Amazement - Accuracy/Recharge

Level 28: Weave

• (33) Luck of the Gambler - Defense
  • (33) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance
  • (33) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance/Recharge

Level 30: Fly

• (A) Blessing of the Zephyr - Run Speed, Jump, Flight Speed, Range/Endurance

Level 32: Singularity

• (A) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (34) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Damage
  • (34) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (34) Expedient Reinforcement - Endurance/Damage/Recharge
  • (36) Soulbound Allegiance - Chance for Build Up
  • (36) Sudden Acceleration - Knockback to Knockdown

Level 35: Tornado

• (A) Soulbound Allegiance - Damage/Recharge
  • (36) Soulbound Allegiance - Damage/Endurance
  • (37) Touch of Lady Grey - Chance for Negative Damage
  • (37) Force Feedback - Chance for +Recharge
  • (37) Sudden Acceleration - Knockback to Knockdown
  • (39) Explosive Strike - Chance for Smashing Damage

Level 38: Lightning Storm

• (A) Thunderstrike - Damage/Recharge
  • (39) Thunderstrike - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (39) Thunderstrike - Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (40) Gladiator's Javelin - Chance of Damage(Toxic)
  • (40) Force Feedback - Chance for +Recharge
  • (40) Explosive Strike - Chance for Smashing Damage

Level 41: Hibernate

• (A) Preventive Medicine - Chance for +Absorb

Level 44: Frost Breath

• (A) Positron's Blast - Damage/Range
  • (45) Positron's Blast - Chance of Damage(Energy)
  • (45) Positron's Blast - Damage/Endurance
  • (45) Javelin Volley - Chance of Damage(Lethal)
  • (46) Impeded Swiftness - Chance of Damage(Smashing)
  • (46) Bombardment - Chance for Fire Damage

Level 47: Ice Storm

• (A) Ragnarok - Damage/Recharge
  • (48) Ragnarok - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (48) Ragnarok - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (48) Ragnarok - Damage/Endurance
  • (50) Ragnarok - Chance for Knockdown

Level 49: Frozen Armor

• (50) Steadfast Protection - Resistance/+Def 3%
  • (50) Gladiator's Armor - TP Protection +3% Def (All)

Level 1: Brawl

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Containment 

Level 1: Sprint

| Copy & Paste this data into Mids Reborn : Hero Designer to view the build |
		|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
		|MxDz;1398;669;1338;HEX;|
		|78DA65934B4F135114C7EF746680B620AD85F2B20F2A502CED40F1B5D48040509A9|
		|090B8C5499996495ADAB4C5D80FE0D6B771E963813C5CA83146FD0E7E0257C6851B|
		|10A21FA01EE6FC6F988449DADFDCFF3DE77FCF9C7B6FEEDE8DCE4261FEBA5002B32|
		|5B35E5F9DAD6C346A9552C9AAE939B368E7053DDE85F84AA3522BC7A7DB69943809|
		|91D1C642CDBC6B379A721C7385CC6C160A8693BEBAB2592E5736EC8DA2F02F57286|