Mind/? or ?/Psi

XylstoBanks

Hello to my fellow doms!

I've been playing for a while with a Mind/Psi dom and i honestly have a lot of fun with it. However, the long CDs on MC & MD and some mobs psi res are far too punishing for it tonbe viable in higher tiers (or maybe i'm just not a good player at all 😁)

Since i like the "mentalist" theme a lot, i'm thinking about creating another character who can be a little more efficient in end-game which has a mind primary or psi secondary. Can you guys give me some tips on it?

• Like 1

You might want to try Dark/Psi. Dark Control plays similarly to Mind Control in a lot of ways, but IMO is a lot more forgiving. You'll lose an AoE Confuse but gain a much faster Rechargiing AoE Stun. You'll also gain -ToHit in your attacks.

Psi Assault is an interesting set. It has excellent survivability if you plan to IO, but is probably only mediocre if you do not. The key power in it is Drain Psyche, a "vampiric" style power that you will need to center a lot of your gameplay strategy around as a /Psi Assault player. Drain Psyche provides a massive Regen and Recovery boost for thirty seconds after hitting enough enemies at close range. It tends to inspire a go go go go go approach to gameplay. The good news is that if you achieve permadom Recharge levels, Drain Psyche will be close to perma as well. Keep in mind, though, that that survivability comes at a price, since Psi Assault otherwise has lackluster damage (somewhat but not entirely offset by the unusual ability to be a Dominator who can debuff AV regen). The ranged blasts and cone in particular are slow animating and I tend to skip them. 

Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Like 1

Pay no heed to @MoonSheep he plays his dom like no tru warrir!  No need for defence?  Pfft Europeans.  Of course he doesn't feel the need for defense they can't even spell it correct.  

I agree though Mind/Psi is an ironic pairing that is ho-hum.  I'd do Plant/Psi or Mind/Nrg, Dark, Fire or a few other good assaults.  

• Like 2

To come to the limited defense of Mind/Psi, there's something to be said for combining Mass Hypnosis and Drain Psyche on a Fold Space build. That's a very specific playstyle (unique to Homecoming, in fact) but works surprisingly well. Mass Hypnosis now has no chance of missing, making it very safe.

Also, Psi Assault tends to work well with sets that have a fast animating Hold, to help cover for Psi Assault's relatively weak single target game. Procced out Dominate is a better attack than the actual ranged attacks in Psi, so that's something.  

Edited by oedipus_tex

18 hours ago, oedipus_tex said:

You might want to try Dark/Psi. Dark Control plays similarly to Mind Control in a lot of ways, but IMO is a lot more forgiving. You'll lose an AoE Confuse but gain a much faster Rechargiing AoE Stun. You'll also gain -ToHit in your attacks.

Psi Assault is an interesting set. It has excellent survivability if you plan to IO, but is probably only mediocre if you do not. The key power in it is Drain Psyche, a "vampiric" style power that you will need to center a lot of your gameplay strategy around as a /Psi Assault player. Drain Psyche provides a massive Regen and Recovery boost for thirty seconds after hitting enough enemies at close range. It tends to inspire a go go go go go approach to gameplay. The good news is that if you achieve permadom Recharge levels, Drain Psyche will be close to perma as well. Keep in mind, though, that that survivability comes at a price, since Psi Assault otherwise has lackluster damage (somewhat but not entirely offset by the unusual ability to be a Dominator who can debuff AV regen). The ranged blasts and cone in particular are slow animating and I tend to skip them. 

This.  Everything.  This.

My Dark/Psi turns out to be my favorite Dom, and the build was purely accidental. Dark/Psi/Ice can get up to 13.5 endurance recovery, 130hp recovery, and 1600 hps with Hoarfrost, Hibernate as a back up recovery or o shit button.  I went with no pet or haunt, so it plays more like a blaptroller.  Follow the tank in after fearsome stare, hit Drain Psyche, Psychic Shockwave, fly out, Psychic Scream or Living shadows (slotted for damage, slow dot but most not feared are aggroed by tank).  Fly back in, rinse repeat every attack.  Wish I picked up the snipe, but went with Subdue for the immb on AV (also the animation, cast time, and way the build ended up slotting)

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

On 2/21/2022 at 10:28 PM, Mezmera said:

Pay no heed to @MoonSheep he plays his dom like no tru warrir!  No need for defence?  Pfft Europeans.  Of course he doesn't feel the need for defense they can't even spell it correct.  

I agree though Mind/Psi is an ironic pairing that is ho-hum.  I'd do Plant/Psi or Mind/Nrg, Dark, Fire or a few other good assaults.  

i've been waiting all week to have the time to make this 😂😛

cover8.jpg

• Haha 2