Water/Dark or Water/Cold

StriderIV

Hi all!

I was curious if anyone had any input. I’m loving Water Blast, but I’m trying to decide if I want to IO out a Water/Cold or a Water/Dark. 

Both seem great. /Dark and /Cold both have a way to keep baddies stuck in Whirlpool, -regen and -resists in their kits which should make them great for dropping AV’s. /Cold seems like it is easier on endurance with Heat Loss, while /Dark brings a revive and additional heal which I’m sure makes you pretty tough when paired with Water’s heal.

So I wanted to pick all of your brains! Is there something I’m missing that should sway me one way or the other? Which one do you think would function better solo or in teams?

Both secondaries are imo the best corruptor secondaries in the game with kin possibly rounding out third place.

I personally view Howling Twilight as a huge -Regen debuff that has a byproduct of resurrecting other players. I think Dark Miasma works better at lower levels, as Cold doesn't really come into its own until the later levels when you have benumb, sleet, and heat loss.

The early level ice shields for me are typically mules, I ideally like powers that buff others exclusively only if my build has pets, that way those powers still work if I'm solo..so if my build can't fit something those are the first to go.

Either way you go I'd recommend Dark Mastery for going for Perma Soul Drain. I like building my Corruptors for melee/ranged/energy/neg energy defenses and padding S&L they seem tanky and I've brought them on Linea's 801 runs up to .7 as a team. I haven't tried to solo them, but on regular content they are usually leading the pack.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Both secondaries are imo the best corruptor secondaries in the game with kin possibly rounding out third place.

I personally view Howling Twilight as a huge -Regen debuff that has a byproduct of resurrecting other players. I think Dark Miasma works better at lower levels, as Cold doesn't really come into its own until the later levels when you have benumb, sleet, and heat loss.

The early level ice shields for me are typically mules, I ideally like powers that buff others exclusively only if my build has pets, that way those powers still work if I'm solo..so if my build can't fit something those are the first to go.

Either way you go I'd recommend Dark Mastery for going for Perma Soul Drain. I like building my Corruptors for melee/ranged/energy/neg energy defenses and padding S&L they seem tanky and I've brought them on Linea's 801 runs up to .7 as a team. I haven't tried to solo them, but on regular content they are usually leading the pack.

Thanks for this info! That is where I’m at. Double stacking sleet with /Cold sounds OP, as well as having good endurance management with heat loss.

/Dark seems really well rounded, and I’m sure it’s heal partnered with Water Blasts heal will make it a very sturdy Corruptor.

• Thumbs Up 1

Both of these combos are likely to be pretty great. Given the choice at hand, on a Corruptor, I'd probably go Water/Cold, just because Water patches up the self heal Cold otherwise lacks.

As with all things, you'll want to think about whether you might be happier with a Defender. The Defender gets:

• +30% solo damage on Defender, versus Chance to Scourge on Corruptor. I'll need someone else to math out how this translates to real world output.
  • The same -Regen, since it doesn't flex based on AT
  • Better -Recharge (probably doesn't matter)
  • Stronger team shields (probably doesn't matter)
  • Better self heal (may not matter)
  • Better endurance/recovery from Heat Loss (doesn't matter since there is so much of it you'll cap with either)
  • Better modifiers for personal defense and resistance (may matter, best reason to consider a Defender)
  • Better -Resistance in Heat Loss, but not in Sleet (probably doesn't matter much, but someone could prove me wrong)
  • Better ATOs (IMO)--especially for Cold, because it has a heal. But, Cold/Water specifically can heal itself, and its less critical

Note that Cold Defenders actually get slightly shortchanged on Sleet. When Cold got ported to Defenders, the debuff should have risen from -30% to -35% Resistance, but stayed -30%. It's especially strange because Freezing Rain, which is the same power with a different name in the Storm Summoning set, does flex. There's a possibility this could be fixed in some future patch. I imagine if that happens the Defender value would go up and Corruptor stay the same, though that isn't guaranteed. 

Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, kelika2 said:

water dark, mainly for stacking whirlpool and dark pit but themes are fine too

Murky Water

or a swamp monster

Honey Wagon Mutation

thats about it

Haha nice! I’m actually going to color it all black and go for like a “shadow control” type of theme.

• 2 weeks later
19 hours ago, StriderIV said:

Currently working on the Water/Dark, and it is behaving very nicely! It’s a bit busy pairing the 2 together, but it seems to have a tool for every situation. I feel that it will be VERY strong once fully IO’d out.

Water anything is the best 

• Like 1

On 2/25/2022 at 3:33 PM, oedipus_tex said:

Both of these combos are likely to be pretty great. Given the choice at hand, on a Corruptor, I'd probably go Water/Cold, just because Water patches up the self heal Cold otherwise lacks.

As with all things, you'll want to think about whether you might be happier with a Defender. The Defender gets:

• +30% solo damage on Defender, versus Chance to Scourge on Corruptor. I'll need someone else to math out how this translates to real world output.
  • The same -Regen, since it doesn't flex based on AT
  • Better -Recharge (probably doesn't matter)
  • Stronger team shields (probably doesn't matter)
  • Better self heal (may not matter)
  • Better endurance/recovery from Heat Loss (doesn't matter since there is so much of it you'll cap with either)
  • Better modifiers for personal defense and resistance (may matter, best reason to consider a Defender)
  • Better -Resistance in Heat Loss, but not in Sleet (probably doesn't matter much, but someone could prove me wrong)
  • Better ATOs (IMO)--especially for Cold, because it has a heal. But, Cold/Water specifically can heal itself, and its less critical

Note that Cold Defenders actually get slightly shortchanged on Sleet. When Cold got ported to Defenders, the debuff should have risen from -30% to -35% Resistance, but stayed -30%. It's especially strange because Freezing Rain, which is the same power with a different name in the Storm Summoning set, does flex. There's a possibility this could be fixed in some future patch. I imagine if that happens the Defender value would go up and Corruptor stay the same, though that isn't guaranteed. 

I found this thread and I’m interested. Are there any Defender combos you’d recommend that you feel are just optimal on a Defender? Something that could solo hard content and take on AV’s?

23 hours ago, ArcadianIV said:

I found this thread and I’m interested. Are there any Defender combos you’d recommend that you feel are just optimal on a Defender? Something that could solo hard content and take on AV’s?

Most things are optimal on a defender, primarily because you need less slots to do the same (defense, resist) with their higher bases.

I find defenders boring and have loved scourge since cov launch so I lean that way personally.

In terms of blasts, it depends. Sonic blast is definitely better on a defender, for ecample.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, kiramon said:

Most things are optimal on a defender, primarily because you need less slots to do the same (defense, resist) with their higher bases.

I find defenders boring and have loved scourge since cov launch so I lean that way personally.

In terms of blasts, it depends. Sonic blast is definitely better on a defender, for ecample.

How do you feel Water Blasts damage stacks up to Ice Blasts on a Corruptor?

1 hour ago, StriderIV said:

Haha, from a “fun” standpoint, I might have to agree 😂

Aside from even just fun, it has rotations that make sense, as well as the ability to slot multiple FF procs, leading to a better secondary gameplay, too. 

• Thumbs Up 1