What pairs up well with /Fire?

VeritasWaits

After having re-discovered the amazing CoH rebirth I'm trying to get my head around the game mechanics. When I played as a kid I just made whatever concept seemed cool to me. I know that's the best way to approach this game, but now I can't completely turn off my worries about making a strong character. I don't know anyone in game (yet), so I'll be doing a lot of soloing and am looking at making a scrapper.

I have my eye on Fiery Aura for my defensive set. Can someone with more game experience tell me how well it works in practice? Seems like you trade defense for offense a bit. Does that make you too squish squish for soloing?

For Primary sets I'm looking at Fiery Melee, Dark Melee, Katana, Staff, or Dual Blades. Do any of those stand out as being especially strong or effective, especially for soloing?

My other thought was that I could go with Fiery Melee and then Shield as a defensive set if that would be a lot stronger or more practical.

So yeah, basically I'm looking to make sure I don't sink my limited game time into a combo that turns out to be less effective than one of the others that would have worked just as well for my character concept. Help?

Dark Melee/Fire is awesome, Soul Drain + Burn is great AoE combo and if you get another AoE from ancillary pool (Ball lightning so you have 3 different kinds of dmg is a good choice) you will end up with a killing machine, especially if you invest in IO sets.

The big trend at the moment is Spines/Fire. It's a great AOE combination, and people are using it for farming.

More so as a brute since they have a higher cap on resists, and they get a taunt aura so mobs stick.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

The big trend at the moment is Spines/Fire. It's a great AOE combination, and people are using it for farming.

More so as a brute since they have a higher cap on resists, and they get a taunt aura so mobs stick.

True, but Scrapper Spines/Fire is capable of soloing the ITF, so they are pretty great as well. I'm sure a Brute can too, but SCRAPPERLOCK

Ice Fire sounds tempting. Sure, Ice is about the worst damage set out there, but thematic, and all the slows.. ALL THE SLOWS.  Plus Scrapper-Damage based burn.

"Oh, you just THOUGHT you were running out of my burn patch!"

Great Justice - Invuln/Energy Melee Tank

Ann Atomic - Radiation/Super Strength Tank

Elecutrix - Electric Blast/Super Reflexes Sentinel

Ramayael - Titan Weapons/Bio Scrapper

C'len - Spines/Bio Brute

Ice Fire sounds tempting. Sure, Ice is about the worst damage set out there, but thematic, and all the slows.. ALL THE SLOWS.  Plus Scrapper-Damage based burn.

Dammit, see what you did? now I have to roll one myself *shakes fist*

Dammit, see what you did? now I have to roll one myself *shakes fist*

Ice isn't so bad, Freezing Touch is amazing, and Frozen Aura is a good AOE