Samurai Oni Facemasks without helmets

20 minutes ago, direowlbear said:

I'd love to see the Samurai face details, specifically the mouth guards, freed from their helmet overlords.  

I support this request. There are many good ways for use of the oni facemasks without helmets.

3_27b64882-d870-476d-8943-16350288b27d_8

Historically? They still had other masks that were similar, but these were full face masks and only (possibly) worn during certain rituals or (definitely) by actors in a play to show they were a monster to the audience. (Note: See Hannya masks for an example.) The menpo, as a distinct and separate piece, exists solely in a video game and comic sense as a relatively new idea. Though more often, those masks are cloth masks rather than actual menpo.

Personally, I'd like to see noh masks, hannya masks, long nose tengu masks, and the requested 'menpo as separate piece' masks, but I'm a greedy person.

Edited by Rudra
Edited to add (possibly) and (definitely).

@SwitchFade Well, no, it wouldn't necessarily be done historically largely because menpo were part of the head protection of a samurai's armor. So wearing it without the rest of the helmet wasn't so much not done because of being verboten or something, more just because there's no point protecting only one third of your face when the first thing you'll usually want to protect is your head. That said menpo actually also lack a bib throat protector in this game. I've made a full list of stuff I'd like to see related to samurai gear in the costume piece request thread in art and media.

Seconded, I've been trying to use the thing unhistorically for one character, but just cannot sell myself on any of the helmets.  I don't have any interest in trying to make a period-accurate samurai or anything, so otherwise this is just useless for me - this and all the other otherwise accurate samurai costume pieces, if I can't find a way to "misapply" them; have to say I never understood the time and effort being put into such a narrow type of costume options in the first place, but that's probably just my bias of not being into "samurai culture as a form of badassery".

Tim "Black Scorpion" Sweeney: Matt (Posi) used to say that players would find the shortest path to the rewards even if it was a completely terrible play experience that would push them away from the game...

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

15 hours ago, Sakura Tenshi said:

@SwitchFade Well, no, it wouldn't necessarily be done historically largely because menpo were part of the head protection of a samurai's armor. So wearing it without the rest of the helmet wasn't so much not done because of being verboten or something, more just because there's no point protecting only one third of your face when the first thing you'll usually want to protect is your head. That said menpo actually also lack a bib throat protector in this game. I've made a full list of stuff I'd like to see related to samurai gear in the costume piece request thread in art and media.

すみません

Uh, we said the same thing, I said it wasn't done because they secure to the helm.

どうも。

13 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Seconded, I've been trying to use the thing unhistorically for one character, but just cannot sell myself on any of the helmets.  I don't have any interest in trying to make a period-accurate samurai or anything, so otherwise this is just useless for me - this and all the other otherwise accurate samurai costume pieces, if I can't find a way to "misapply" them; have to say I never understood the time and effort being put into such a narrow type of costume options in the first place, but that's probably just my bias of not being into "samurai culture as a form of badassery".

Sadly, the 大鎧 we have in game are largely dissimilar to historically accurate armour styles, being a bit out of scale. 

On 3/11/2022 at 9:30 PM, Sakura Tenshi said:

That said menpo actually also lack a bib throat protector in this game.

All armor masks were men-yoroi; masks covering the entire face were sōmen, masks covering the chin up to the nose were menpō, masks covering the chin only were hanpō, and masks covering the forehead and cheeks were happuri. The yodare-kake throat protection was not always present (the name colloquially translates as 'bib', but literally means 'drool hang').

It's a comic book game.  Do we really care if the armor is historically accurate?

I'd love for the OP's suggestion to get implemented at some point , if it's 1) Possible and 2) Not too much of a chore for the Devs.  I'd really like to use that snarling mouth to make a Foo-Lion character.  

On 3/13/2022 at 7:05 AM, Cancrusher said:

It's a comic book game.  Do we really care if the armor is historically accurate?

Back on Live, I tried asking for a new version of the "ichi" variant of the samurai pieces that had the lacing holding the kozane together added to the mask for the secondary color, because the lacing was historically normally a different color from the kozane themselves; nothing came of it.