Overgrowth and damage caps

Lafoote

So I rolled a Nature/DP Defender.  It seems like I'll be able to do most of my Defender-ing pre-combat, and focus on applying my damage, such as it is, throughout the fight.  I'm curious though, with Overgrowth presenting like, 80% damage increase, is there anyone that's not going to be on the cap with that?  Further, is there any reason to have Assault if Overgrowth is up virtually all the time?  I think I'm likely to keep the defender rather than go Corrupter for it's 66% increase just based on the greater power of everything else in the Nature kit, but I did want to understand the repercussions.  Can anyone help?

Edited by Lafoote

The answer to "is there anyone that's not going to be on the cap with that?" depends on far too many variables to simply say yes or no.

• First is the damage cap is not the same across all ATs.  A Brute is going to need a lot more buffs to reach their's than a Defender for example.  I don't think it's possible to have a Brute (solo) at a point where they only need another ~80% to hit their cap (assuming they're not chewing a steady supply of red inspires).   A Kin Defender probably doesn't need any outside help to get capped at 50th.
  • What level is the team and the individuals making up the team?
  • Are we discussing a team of high end IO builds or SO only builds or a PuG composed of a mix of those two or a group/team designed to speed run lvl 50 content?
  • Is Fulcrum Shift available (See Kinetics)
  • Is the build a 'proc' focused build?  At least judging from forum builds I see proc heavy builds often don't cap their damage --> which is semi-misleading as their actual damage output is potentially higher than a 'normal' build for damage and especially so when they become capped from outside buffs owing to the fact proc damage bypasses cap considerations.

But in general in 'normal' game play it's unlikely that a single outside 82.5% damage buff will cap anyone.  The lowest cap is 400%.  Of that most builds will supply about 100% in enhancement in the power itself plus the game starts the damage at a baseline 100%  That's 200% more to reach the cap in outside buffs.  The vast majority of builds aren't going to supply that via their own global bonuses.  But 7 teammates each adding 80% buff is likely safely exceeding the cap for them all.

Edited by Doomguide2005
Because @Without_Pause is revealing my oops

Damage cap is 400%, 500%, 700% depending on the AT. Players can get in the 195% range as a default. So no, Overgrowth is nice but nothing close to damage capping a team.

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Limits#Damage

• Thumbs Up 2

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

On a fully tricked out Nature defender you can conceivably hit the damage cap for yourself. Yes you will need assault to get there if I remember my Naff/DP build but even that was iffy because I was sacrificing other stuff to get to it.

My current build has 217.5% damage with overgrowth up and solo and all sortsa stuff thrown in. Funny enough, I'm still not damaged capped cuz I got lots of procs in my damage powers.

It gets easier to touch the cap with such powers as pbu and aim involved. but you would prolly have another secondary for this.

I did near-perma near-self-damage-cap mirrors, defender and corruptor. 

I think this is the build, if not, it was one very close to this: Nature Fire - Fourcade 2td - [i25].mxd

Here's a DP variant from the archives, probably an older incarnation from the initial planning stages.  I built the Fire variant instead: Nature DP - Fourcade 2 - [i25].mxd

AE 801 (link) is a variety of missions for fun and challenge, and is designed for a team of 5+ Incarnates.  Just search '801' in AE. 

801 Difficulty Varies: 801.0 Easy, ..., 801.2 Standard, ..., 801.5 Hard, ..., 801.8 Extreme, ..., 801.A Epic, ... 801.F Death.

Angel Hornet (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ASF (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ITF (link)

I may be AFK IRL, But CoH is my Forever Home.

On 3/16/2022 at 11:27 AM, Linea said:

I did near-perma near-self-damage-cap mirrors, defender and corruptor. 

I think this is the build, if not, it was one very close to this: Nature Fire - Fourcade 2td - [i25].mxd

Here's a DP variant from the archives, probably an older incarnation from the initial planning stages.  I built the Fire variant instead: Nature DP - Fourcade 2 - [i25].mxd

This build is hot. Great work.

Is there a reason you skipped Blazing Bolt? I'm not totally in tune with everything Defender so may be out of touch. Coming from playing Dominators, I assumed the Snipe would be great, but would love to learn.

That was a long time ago.   That may have been before perma-snipes, or it could be level and slotting options and level 35 power overcrowding.   Or it may just not have made enough difference in dps.  I vaguely recall trying different builds, and the snipe version only being a minor difference.  It's worth retesting now, a lot of things have changed.

• Thumbs Up 1

AE 801 (link) is a variety of missions for fun and challenge, and is designed for a team of 5+ Incarnates.  Just search '801' in AE. 

801 Difficulty Varies: 801.0 Easy, ..., 801.2 Standard, ..., 801.5 Hard, ..., 801.8 Extreme, ..., 801.A Epic, ... 801.F Death.

Angel Hornet (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ASF (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ITF (link)

I may be AFK IRL, But CoH is my Forever Home.