New Help Status Option: Streamer

Dythok

3 hours ago, Rudra said:

That would fail to notify people until the streamer broadcasted or said something in tells, team chat, or league chat.

True, I was thinking of it from the perspective of a team or league leader being the streamer, in which case when they posted to LFG or whatever you would see that "on air" icon in front of their name and you could then decide if you want to join or not.

But, yes, as a team or league member you wouldn't know until they spoke. But, that's not really different than what we have now. In fact, even IF we had something over a characters head it would be a voluntary display. What we are talking about here would be a courtesy a streamer might choose to do for fellow players, but is not required to do.

• Like 3

I actually really like the idea of "On Air" as well, since that's more inclusive, so people making YouTube videos and other content creators would be covered as well.

On 4/7/2022 at 3:16 PM, Oklahoman said:

What we are talking about here would be a courtesy a streamer might choose to do for fellow players, but is not required to do.

And this is the primary reason I'd use this feature.  While I do have a macro I use to inform teams I am streaming and chat is covered for their privacy, I'm human and between all the things I'm juggling, I'll sometimes forget to hit it.  I just want to be courteous and polite to those around me.

On an additional note, it could potentially be synergistic to both the content creators and Homecoming.  I know on Twitch, people are rediscovering City of Heroes everyday, returning to the game.  The "On Air"  or "Streamer" option could help those content creators grow their channel, in turn getting more visibility on CoH, and helping more people rediscover our game.

• Like 2

@Dythok - ( Conventus on Everlasting )

"I am my scars."
Proud MFing Warshade

https://www.twitch.tv/dythok

• 2 weeks later
On 4/6/2022 at 3:30 PM, merrypessimist said:

Doesn't this run into the problem that if you're close enough to read the character's tag you're already in visual range to be caught in the stream cam?

I would guess that would depend on how they have their field of view adjusted, as well as your video settings (r/t how close/far you will be able to read tags). 

On 4/8/2022 at 8:42 PM, Dythok said:

I actually really like the idea of "On Air" as well, since that's more inclusive, so people making YouTube videos and other content creators would be covered as well.

And this is the primary reason I'd use this feature.  While I do have a macro I use to inform teams I am streaming and chat is covered for their privacy, I'm human and between all the things I'm juggling, I'll sometimes forget to hit it.  I just want to be courteous and polite to those around me.

On an additional note, it could potentially be synergistic to both the content creators and Homecoming.  I know on Twitch, people are rediscovering City of Heroes everyday, returning to the game.  The "On Air"  or "Streamer" option could help those content creators grow their channel, in turn getting more visibility on CoH, and helping more people rediscover our game.

Agreed! "On Air" sounds better. 

I, too, cover chat. Most of my teams are either folks that I know well or folks that are picked up from stream, so I often just send a tell to the random folks that might not know. But it's still a good idea to let folks on the team know what's up. 

I do think the streaming helps folks get back in, or get started with, the game. I've helped quite a few newbie players hook up with HC and get started playing, and I know you have helped even more! 

If doing the "on air," I'd almost think the space we use for prefixing titles (the "the amazing fabulous" and whatnot) would be the space to indicate it. See a red rectangle with "on air" there, it's distinctive, should be easy to notice.

Don't know about desirable or doable, I'm mostly looking at "visible" and "unique."

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

2 hours ago, Greycat said:

If doing the "on air," I'd almost think the space we use for prefixing titles (the "the amazing fabulous" and whatnot) would be the space to indicate it. See a red rectangle with "on air" there, it's distinctive, should be easy to notice.

Don't know about desirable or doable, I'm mostly looking at "visible" and "unique."

I would read it as “On Acid” every time… 

…and laugh.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Find me on Everlasting or Indom as:
Marbing (Psi/Rad Corruptor), Fortunata Moon (Fortunata Widow), Dynanight (Fire/DM Tank), Timesync (Elec/Time Corruptor), Static Sparrow (Elec/TA Controller), Cryo Punk (Ice/Cold Controller), Chamelea (SJ/Bio Stalker)Sword Fist (Claws/SR Scrapper), Mangusuu (DP/Nin Blaster), Blink Shot (Beam/Martial Blaster), Ratchet Dog (Beam/Traps Corruptor), Phonoalgia (Pain/Sonic Defender), Powered (FF/Energy Defender), Nullpunkt (Rad/Kin Corruptor), Black Fate (Fire/Therm Corruptor), Mirror Mage (Ill/Dark Controller),Gravoc (Gravity/Energy Dominator), Mind Pyre (Fire/Psi Dominator), Nettlethorn (Plant/Thorn Dominator), Boggle Blade (Psi/Invuln Stalker), Kelvin White (Ice/Regen Stalker), Dead Haze (Katana/DA Scrapper), Echo Boom (Sonic/EM Blaster), Ceyko (Archery/Time Blaster), Sleep Doctor (Mind/Poison Controller)Nachteule (DP/Dark Corruptor)Fulgrax (Axe/Elec Armor Scrapper)Void Knife (DB/Ice Stalker)Tryptophan Zombie (Mind/Kin Controller)Indo Manata (WP/Staff Tank), Masuku (Claws/WP Stalker)Blackbright (Rad/Energy Sentinel), Bedlam Bane (Sonic/Poison Corruptor), Helena Black (Necro/EA Mastermind), Boom Ranger (Sonic/TA Corruptor), Grave Sentinel (FF/Dark Defender), Dead-Life (DM/Regen Brute), Red Gloom (Dark/Pain Corruptor), Marble Marbina (Thugs/FF Mastermind)

• 1 month later
On 4/7/2022 at 12:59 PM, Oklahoman said:

I like the "On Air" idea - what if instead of having yet another thing floating over your head, when you are "On Air" then some kind of fancy broadcasting icon preceded your name in chat?

That's a good suggestion, however, since I do stream, I can see a big flaw with that. Streamers often use their stream and Discord as the primary means of communication. I don't type nearly as much in game when streaming because my attention is very split between OBS, the stream chat, and Discord. I type only as much as I absolutely have to. So it's not likely that many people would see a chat icon. I think a 'title' to replace Roleplaying/Helper/Help Me! would allow the maximum amount of people to visually identify that the content is being streamed and thus decline participation or move away. I believe the original suggestion was mostly seeking a way to respect the wishes of people who don't want to be on stream.

Given that Homecoming now allows streaming, this seems like a pretty solid addition. There's no real way to 'force' someone to toggle it on AFAIK so it would rely on the honor system, but that's true for how a lot of things work in-game already anyway - especially when it comes to community interactions.

As for not wanting to show up on streams hosted by other people... Much as I understand it, that's a reality of online gaming in 2022. You willingly log in to a game that allows streamers, that's accepting a chance you'll be on-camera. At least as far as Homecoming goes that's an awfully slim chance, especially compared to stuff like FortNite or Overwatch or whatever. Beyond that if you just team with friends/private groups the risk is basically nil - but so long as Homecoming allows streaming, it can't be completely negated. That's not to say streaming doesn't have the possibility to be invasive or cause harassment (that's another reality of online gaming in 2022...) but that's what the report function is for.

Global is @El D, Everlasting Player, Recovering Altaholic.