ill/Storm Build Help

MooFrooo

Hey all I am getting back into the game and looking to spec out my ill/storm it has been a blast to play I am trying to achieve a fun to play but not a pain to my team build. First time building a toon myself I copied from some ill/rad builds 

Overall I was worried about end issues once I hit the perma PA so I leaned there. Hurricane is my favorite power so it has to stay. But I was wondering if anyone had any input as I didnt see much posts. 

Thanks for any input. 

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.2.17
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

ill/storm: Level 50 Magic Controller
Primary Power Set: Illusion Control
Secondary Power Set: Storm Summoning
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Psionic Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Spectral Wounds

• (A) Apocalypse - Damage
  • (3) Apocalypse - Damage/Recharge
  • (3) Apocalypse - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (5) Apocalypse - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (5) Apocalypse - Chance of Damage(Negative)

Level 1: Gale

• (A) Empty

Level 2: Blind

• (A) Gladiator's Javelin - Accuracy/Damage
  • (7) Gladiator's Javelin - Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (17) Gladiator's Javelin - Damage/Recharge
  • (25) Gladiator's Javelin - Accuracy/Damage/End/Rech
  • (25) Unbreakable Constraint - Chance for Smashing Damage
  • (27) Entomb - Recharge/Chance for +Absorb

Level 4: Deceive

• (A) Coercive Persuasion  - Confused
  • (27) Coercive Persuasion  - Contagious Confusion
  • (33) Coercive Persuasion  - Confused/Recharge
  • (33) Coercive Persuasion  - Accuracy/Confused/Recharge
  • (33) Coercive Persuasion  - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (34) Coercive Persuasion  - Confused/Endurance

Level 6: Maneuvers

• (A) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed
  • (7) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance
  • (9) Luck of the Gambler - Defense

Level 8: Superior Invisibility

Level 10: Steamy Mist

• (11) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance
  • (11) Reactive Defenses - Defense/Endurance
  • (13) Reactive Defenses - Scaling Resist Damage
  • (13) Steadfast Protection - Knockback Protection
  • (15) Steadfast Protection - Resistance/+Def 3%

Level 12: Super Jump

• (A) Unbounded Leap - +Stealth

Level 14: Group Invisibility

Level 16: Freezing Rain

• (A) Recharge Reduction IO
  • (43) Ragnarok - Chance for Knockdown
  • (43) Ragnarok - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (46) Undermined Defenses - Defense Debuff
  • (46) Undermined Defenses - Defense Debuff/Recharge

Level 18: Phantom Army

• (A) Expedient Reinforcement - Endurance/Damage/Recharge
  • (19) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (19) Expedient Reinforcement - Damage/Endurance
  • (21) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Damage
  • (23) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (23) Recharge Reduction IO

Level 20: Hasten

• (A) Recharge Reduction IO
  • (21) Recharge Reduction IO

Level 22: Combat Jumping

Level 24: Kick

• (A) Empty

Level 26: Spectral Terror

• (A) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Control Duration
  • (37) Superior Will of the Controller - Control Duration/Recharge
  • (37) Superior Will of the Controller - Endurance/Recharge
  • (37) Superior Will of the Controller - Recharge/Chance for Psionic Damage
  • (39) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Control Duration/Endurance
  • (39) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Control Duration/Endurance/Recharge

Level 28: Tough

• (A) Gladiator's Armor - TP Protection +3% Def (All)
  • (29) Gladiator's Armor - End/Resist
  • (29) Gladiator's Armor - Resistance

Level 30: Weave

• (31) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance
  • (31) Luck of the Gambler - Defense
  • (31) Shield Wall - +Res (Teleportation), +5% Res (All)

Level 32: Phantasm

• (A) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (34) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Damage
  • (34) Expedient Reinforcement - Damage/Endurance
  • (36) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (36) Expedient Reinforcement - Endurance/Damage/Recharge
  • (36) Expedient Reinforcement - Resist Bonus Aura for Pets

Level 35: Tornado

• (A) Overwhelming Force - Damage/Chance for Knockdown/Knockback to Knockdown
  • (39) Overwhelming Force - Accuracy/Damage
  • (40) Overwhelming Force - Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (40) Overwhelming Force - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (46) Overwhelming Force - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance

Level 38: Lightning Storm

• (A) Superior Winter's Bite - Accuracy/Damage
  • (40) Superior Winter's Bite - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • (42) Superior Winter's Bite - Damage/Endurance/Accuracy/RechargeTime
  • (42) Superior Winter's Bite - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (43) Superior Winter's Bite - Damage/RechargeTime

Level 41: Indomitable Will

• (42) Luck of the Gambler - Defense

Level 44: Mind Over Body

• (A) Unbreakable Guard - +Max HP
  • (45) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance
  • (45) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance
  • (45) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance/RechargeTime

Level 47: Hurricane

• (A) Force Feedback - Chance for +Recharge
  • (48) Dark Watcher's Despair - To Hit Debuff
  • (48) Dark Watcher's Despair - To Hit Debuff/Endurance
  • (48) Dark Watcher's Despair - To Hit Debuff/Recharge/Endurance
  • (50) Sudden Acceleration - Knockback to Knockdown

Level 49: Psionic Tornado

• (A) Sudden Acceleration - Knockback to Knockdown
  • (50) Ragnarok - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (50) Ragnarok - Damage/Recharge

Level 1: Containment 

Level 1: Brawl

ill storm Controller (Illusion Control).mxd

Edited by MooFrooo
adding build

The Forced Feedback is wasted in Hurricane pretty much. Move it to Tornado and every time you drop a tornado you get 5 seconds of +100% recharge. 

Put one in Tornado AND Lightning storm and any time you drop those you get 5 seconds (won't stack, will replace). So you can do tornado -> *other stuff for a few seconds* -> Lightning Storm and get 10 seconds of lovely lovely recharge. Why the Winters set in Lightning? If you're looking for pure ranged Def 6 Thunderstrike is the way to go. Or split the difference, 3 Thunderstrike, 1 random Acc/Dam/End IO and a Forced Feedback. 

For your End woes you really want Pancea : Chance for HP / End. It's twice as effective as the Performance Shifter in Stamina (I've parsed out the logs). So I'd drop both the Preventative  in Health and replace with a Miracle and a Pancea. 

Freezing Rain only really needs 2 +5 Recharge IOs to max it out and maybe an Achilles Heel Chance for -Resist. 

Personally I strongly dislike slotting your Single target hold for damage itself. 4 Basilisks (7.5% recharge. You want LOTS of recharge to get PAs as close to perma as possible), 1 random Acc/Hold and a purple hold proc is usually how I slot it. Of course you could also go 5 Purple hold IOs or the full Will of the Controller set. 

Spectral Terror is a mez which is actually a better -ToHit debuff. So you can move the Will of the Controller to Blind and then go 4 Dark Watchers Despair. It does a LOT of -ToHit. 

2 Invises is a bit odd, normally people go one or the other. People prefer Superior but I like Group + Steamy as it's basically full invis anyway and Superior is a bit of an End hog. 

Not much point taking Psi Tornado that underslotted. It doesn't need KB2KD, it does Knockup so it won't be sending things flying. Personally I like Ice on a Stormie. Frozen Armour is both a decent s/l def shield and will take both Resist and Def IOs, so good for uniques (although you have them elsewhere anyway). Ice Storm is a bit chaotic but is reasonably good and Hibernate is great on a Stormie as a "combat heal" : Ice up and recover your End while the Phanties, Lightning Storm, Tornados and Freezing Rain work away for you. 

That said if you want Psi for the mez protection and another "tornado" go Psi (Psi Tornado isn't really a tornado. It's just a Damage over Time AOE blast like Fireball with a swirly graphic. Good for Yet Another Forced Feedback mind). 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Here's my build....fun little chaotic mess

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.2.17
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Science Controller
Primary Power Set: Illusion Control
Secondary Power Set: Storm Summoning
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Ice Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Spectral Wounds -- Dcm-Acc/Dmg(A), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx(23), Dcm-Dmg/Rchg(23), Dcm-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(29), Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31), GldJvl-Dam%(31)
Level 1: Gale -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A)
Level 2: Blind -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(7), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(7), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(17), GldJvl-Dam%(17)
Level 4: Deceive -- CrcPrs-Conf(A), CrcPrs-Conf/Rchg(5), CrcPrs-Acc/Conf/Rchg(34), CrcPrs-Acc/Rchg(34), CrcPrs-Conf/EndRdx(34), CrcPrs-Conf%(36)
Level 6: Fly -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 8: Hover -- ShlWal-Def(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(9), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(9), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(15)
Level 10: Steamy Mist -- RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(A), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(11), RedFrt-EndRdx/Rchg(11), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(13), RedFrt-Def(13), RedFrt-EndRdx(15)
Level 12: Group Invisibility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 14: Evasive Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 16: Freezing Rain -- Artl-End/Rech/Rng(A), Artl-Acc/Rech/Rng(36), Artl-Acc/Dam(37), Artl-Dam/End(37), Artl-Dam/Rech(37), Artl-Acc/Dam/Rech(40)
Level 18: Phantom Army -- ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(19), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(21), SlbAll-Build%(21)
Level 20: Hurricane -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A)
Level 22: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 24: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(25), GldArm-ResDam(25), GldArm-End/Res(27)
Level 26: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-ResDam%(27), Rct-Def(29)
Level 28: Spectral Terror -- SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprWiloft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(42), SprWiloft-EndRdx/Rchg(42), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(42), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(43), SprWiloft-Rchg/Dmg%(43)
Level 30: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(31)
Level 32: Phantasm -- ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(33), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(33)
Level 35: Tornado -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(36)
Level 38: Lightning Storm -- SuddAcc--KB/+KD(A), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(39), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(39), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(39), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(40)
Level 41: Ice Blast -- Apc-Dam%(A), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(43), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(45), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), Apc-Acc/Rchg(46)
Level 44: Frozen Armor -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(45), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(45)
Level 47: Ice Storm -- Ann-ResDeb%(A), Ann-Acc/Dmg(48), Ann-Dmg/Rchg(48), Ann-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), Ann-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(50)
Level 49: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(50), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(50)
Level 1: Containment 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Swift -- Flight-I(A)
Level 1: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Pnc-Heal/+End(3), Mrc-Rcvry+(3)
Level 1: Stamina -- EndMod-I(A), EndMod-I(5), PrfShf-End%(46)
Level 6: Afterburner 
------------

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Carnifax said:

The Forced Feedback is wasted in Hurricane pretty much. Move it to Tornado and every time you drop a tornado you get 5 seconds of +100% recharge. 

Put one in Tornado AND Lightning storm and any time you drop those you get 5 seconds (won't stack, will replace). So you can do tornado -> *other stuff for a few seconds* -> Lightning Storm and get 10 seconds of lovely lovely recharge. Why the Winters set in Lightning? If you're looking for pure ranged Def 6 Thunderstrike is the way to go. Or split the difference, 3 Thunderstrike, 1 random Acc/Dam/End IO and a Forced Feedback. 

For your End woes you really want Pancea : Chance for HP / End. It's twice as effective as the Performance Shifter in Stamina (I've parsed out the logs). So I'd drop both the Preventative  in Health and replace with a Miracle and a Pancea. 

Freezing Rain only really needs 2 +5 Recharge IOs to max it out and maybe an Achilles Heel Chance for -Resist. 

Personally I strongly dislike slotting your Single target hold for damage itself. 4 Basilisks (7.5% recharge. You want LOTS of recharge to get PAs as close to perma as possible), 1 random Acc/Hold and a purple hold proc is usually how I slot it. Of course you could also go 5 Purple hold IOs or the full Will of the Controller set. 

Spectral Terror is a mez which is actually a better -ToHit debuff. So you can move the Will of the Controller to Blind and then go 4 Dark Watchers Despair. It does a LOT of -ToHit. 

2 Invises is a bit odd, normally people go one or the other. People prefer Superior but I like Group + Steamy as it's basically full invis anyway and Superior is a bit of an End hog. 

Not much point taking Psi Tornado that underslotted. It doesn't need KB2KD, it does Knockup so it won't be sending things flying. Personally I like Ice on a Stormie. Frozen Armour is both a decent s/l def shield and will take both Resist and Def IOs, so good for uniques (although you have them elsewhere anyway). Ice Storm is a bit chaotic but is reasonably good and Hibernate is great on a Stormie as a "combat heal" : Ice up and recover your End while the Phanties, Lightning Storm, Tornados and Freezing Rain work away for you. 

That said if you want Psi for the mez protection and another "tornado" go Psi (Psi Tornado isn't really a tornado. It's just a Damage over Time AOE blast like Fireball with a swirly graphic. Good for Yet Another Forced Feedback mind). 

Thanks so much for all of that. Makes sense think ill switch to ice but the builds I refenced always went psi so just figured why not

Edited by MooFrooo

One likely reason for seeing so much Psi Mastery is the build is already focused strongly on recharge lends itself well to gaining the amount needed for perma IW which unlike Clarion is available as low as 30th while exemplared.  And who doesn't like solid mez protection on a support character.

I like Carnifax's thoughts overall.  I would point out that Superior Invisibility does have one notable edge over Steamy + Group (or other stealth abilities) it's stealth doesn't suppress when you attack.

On 4/5/2022 at 5:33 PM, DocMidknight said:

Level 35: Tornado -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(36)
Level 38: Lightning Storm -- SuddAcc--KB/+KD(A), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(39), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(39), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(39), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(40)

Just on these. In all my parses in different scenarios (+4x8 Council to an Asteroid  Hover Farm) Tornado outperforms Lightning Storm on my Plant/Storm, even with both fully slotted up. 

I was surprised on the Farm because I thought that "most of the fight happens in the middle" would favour Lightning Storm more. I guess the mini-AOE of Tornado compensates. Here's the damage parsed on a farming run. On a fast moving team Tornado is even better because it follows you. 

image.thumb.png.371fb854306b84c3e70bd48cc4877de7.png

image.thumb.png.fb5edee7ce9d54ad3f8395e8cfce8cc3.png

I mean on a Stormie I'd take both anyway but if slots are precious then Tornado is a better place to spend them. LS kinda underperforms considering the End cost (probably the #1 reason Stormies have the "End use is terrible" reputation). Although obviously given the Average Recharges the end costs between the two probably evens out in the long term. 

(Note to self, give the Parser some sort of mechanism to show / hide rows of the table so I don't need to do these horrible "slice" screenshots of the tables)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How many activations per mob, per minute of the achilles' heel -res proc would be the average for tornado and for freezing rain (assuming 2 were out of each)? 

I can't help wondering whether the freezing rain pseudopet produces more activations than tornado because it hits more mobs on average. But, perhaps freezing rain causes more random activations and spreads them out across more mobs; perhaps with hard single target (boss and above) damage in mind tornado is a better place for a -res proc, if a choice needs to be made? 

If pets and pseudopets use the same formula for determining proc activations, then it would seem that freezing rain is the better choice, especially because that frees up a slot on tornado for more damage, recharge, and/or endurance reduction. 

Almost certainly Achilles in FR. Tornados radius is so small that a "once every 10 seconds" check will lose out a lot. Gut feeling because the parser doesn't log Achilles debuffs yet.

My favourite tornado slotting is 4 expedients, an overwheming and a forced feedback so I get some recharge every time I drop one. 

Edit : I will say that I've just searched my raw log file from the Plant/Storm farm I took my Tornado & Lightning Storm figures from and I can't see Achilles mentioned AT ALL despite it being slotted (didn't have my Flytrap out, which also has it slotted). That's deeply suspicious as I was spamming FR every time it was up. 

Hmmmm.....

Edit2 : Okay so looks like trying to parse out Achilles' in the logs is pretty much impossible. Just brought my TA/Elec onto a dummy AE arc with Power Analyser and I can see Acid apply Achilles but the logs don't mention the proc by name

2022-04-07 15:07:08 You hit Dummy Boss with your Acid Arrow for 0.41 points of Toxic damage over time.
2022-04-07 15:07:08 You hit Dummy Boss with your Acid Arrow for 0.49 points of Toxic damage over time.
2022-04-07 15:07:08 Robo N Hood heals you with their Panacea: Chance for +Hit Points/Endurance for 82.86 health points.
2022-04-07 15:07:08 You heal Robo N Hood with Panacea: Chance for +Hit Points/Endurance for 82.86 health points.
2022-04-07 15:07:09 HIT Dummy Boss! Your Acid Arrow power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 46.11.
2022-04-07 15:07:09 HIT Dummy Boss! Your Acid Arrow power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 84.51.
2022-04-07 15:07:09 HIT Dummy Boss! Your Acid Arrow power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 51.35.
2022-04-07 15:07:09 HIT Dummy Boss! Your Acid Arrow power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 76.20.
2022-04-07 15:07:09 HIT Dummy Boss! Your Acid Arrow power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 11.92.
2022-04-07 15:07:09 You reduce your targets damage resistance temporarily
2022-04-07 15:07:09 You reduce your targets damage resistance temporarily

Edited by Carnifax
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Carnifax said:

parser doesn't log Achilles debuffs yet

Since it is 3.5 ppm, you could parse out a -def damage proc instead and the logged hits should be a valid comparison, yes?

My tornado slotting is precisely the same as yours - 4 expedient, Overwhelming KD, FFBack.

Lately I've taken to slotting Lightning Storm with 5 Apoc (No straight damage) plus javelin proc, at least on controllers. I prefer to preserve the Apoc proc for an actual blast on Defenders. I haven't formally parsed out the impact of these procs, but have done some solo testing with just LS spam and nothing else, and it seems subjectively quite powerful.

Edited by Onlyasandwich

50 minutes ago, Onlyasandwich said:

I haven't formally parsed out the impact of these procs, but have done some solo testing with just LS spam and nothing else, and it seems subjectively quite powerful.

According to my last parse it's about the same as roughly a 35-40% damage enhancement added to the Lightning Storm, so yes pretty good. Here's mine, which has an Explosive Strike (because I'm cheap 🙂 ). But I only have LS slotted by 63% for damage on this (for some reason) making the proc pretty pointless. My slotting on LS could use improving really, which may explain why I've been thinking it underperforms. (currently 1 forced feedback, 1 sudden acc kb2kd and 3 Thunderstrike)

Silly Carni!!

I think 3 Apocs & a cheap proc or 4 Apocs including the proc, along with the two "special" IOs would be better. Or 3 Winters + procs & specials. 

image.thumb.png.bc91bb6905b87b5710f7f3625fc02fbf.png

Edited by Carnifax
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Carnifax said:

currently 1 forced feedback, 1 sudden acc kb2kd and 3 Thunderstrike

Have you tried running it without the sudden acc? I don't find it necessary on LS, especially on controllers where the immob tames things.

Typically a quick hop up keeps it KD anyhow, and what little KB happens is pretty small. In some cases, I even appreciate its "goalie" effect, and will place it on the rear of a mob to knock back towards me, or keep things pinned in a corner.

37 minutes ago, Carnifax said:

3 Apocs & a cheap proc or 4 Apocs including the proc, along with the two "special" IOs would be better. Or 3 Winters + procs & specials. 

In my current slotting, preserving the 10% recharge from the Apoc 5 piece is pretty strong for the build overall.

If I were purely optimizing for LS performance above overall build priorities, I think I'd do something similar to what you say here like:

• Apoc 4 piece (Dam/Rech, Dam/End, Acc/Dam/Rech, Proc).
  • Javelin proc, Explosive proc.

On my defender, I have a ranged defense focus, so my LS looks like this instead:

• Thunderstrike 3 piece (Dam/End, Dam/Rech, Dam/End/Rech).
  • Apoc Dam/End and proc.
  • Javelin proc.

Edited by Onlyasandwich
  • Like 1