Returning player apparently with amnesia of game mechanics

AroneousMentor

Hey superfriends,

I've got a number of questions I've been unsuccessful on finding through Google and the message boards...maybe you guys and girls would be willing to help.

1) I've tried many ways to use chat commands to /t someone and to no avail. I assume they have to be online in order for the message to go through. The users WILL be online, and it still won't go through. 

2) Is there a way I can setup a chat tab to receive all /t messages? That way I won't ever miss another message again...especially from recruiters.

3) Badges...these apply permanent bonuses? How important for any build are they to achieve? 

4) I just hit 21 on my Demon/Dark build.  Staying alive for the most part, except I hit a wall in XP gain.  I know about the dbl xp item through the P2W vendor but am still feeling like I am grinding way harder than I should be. Are there any zones at my level, instances, dungeons, whatever they may be here in CoH?

5) That long copy/paste travel power I see everywhere online...doesn't work for me.  Do I have to be in a super group? I'm near portals whenever I attempt as well. 

6) I think I've read almost every tips/tricks/beginner guides out there and still feel a void a knowledge throughout my game play. A glossary for all the acronyms within the community would be great lol.

Anyone who takes the time to read this and respond has my appreciation. Finally finding the time to write this, I know I'm leaving out a few other questions. 

Server Indombinable

Main   AroneousMentor

You might find the Tech Guide a useful reference and tutorial on these and many other things. It doesn't cover much about gameplay, per se, but there's not much it misses in all the UI and control stuff.

It's a little dusty, but the GSNOTTY list on the website will probably remind/refresh many things for you as well.

See the sig for the links. And welcome back!

• Thanks 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

22 minutes ago, AroneousMentor said:

Hey superfriends,

Welcome Home. Hope some of the following helps.

23 minutes ago, AroneousMentor said:

1) I've tried many ways to use chat commands to /t someone and to no avail. I assume they have to be online in order for the message to go through. The users WILL be online, and it still won't go through.

Hmm.  Context for entering a tell manually in chat is

/t Charactername,

You can also left-click on a name in chat to send them a tell, or right click on their toon and select message from the context menu.  If you've tried these already, then I'm not sure what might be the issue.

25 minutes ago, AroneousMentor said:

2) Is there a way I can setup a chat tab to receive all /t messages? That way I won't ever miss another message again...especially from recruiters.

Yup.  You can add/remove various tabs as well as editing the contents of a given tab.  Right-click on the tab and select Edit, this will give you a list of options to add/remove.  I keep tells in both my Global and Team tabs just to ensure I don't miss them.

27 minutes ago, AroneousMentor said:

3) Badges...these apply permanent bonuses? How important for any build are they to achieve? 

Only certain Accolades confer a game-play benefit.  The 4 "Passive" Accolades are worth grabbing and fairly easy to get over the course of a toons leveling ride.  The remainder provide various powers, some more useful than others.  The one that provides protection against Psionic is useful/popular, for example.  More info here:

Badges:

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Hero_Accolade_Badges

Powers:

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Hero_Accolade_Powers

Redside has the same options with different badge requirements.  For example, Task Force Commander and Invader provide the same passive boost.

31 minutes ago, AroneousMentor said:

4) I just hit 21 on my Demon/Dark build.  Staying alive for the most part, except I hit a wall in XP gain.  I know about the dbl xp item through the P2W vendor but am still feeling like I am grinding way harder than I should be. Are there any zones at my level, instances, dungeons, whatever they may be here in CoH?

Hmm.. Not sure where to begin here.  There is the "Find Contact" button which can be very useful.  Each week there are what are called "Weekly Strike Targets" and joining a team that is doing this will net good XP and double the Reward Merit payout (for the first run of the week only).  If you are exclusively or mostly exclusively soloing, then increasing the difficulty settings will increase your XP gain.  Find a happy medium between rewards payout and "PITA" factor and go from there.

34 minutes ago, AroneousMentor said:

5) That long copy/paste travel power I see everywhere online...doesn't work for me.  Do I have to be in a super group? I'm near portals whenever I attempt as well. 

Setting aside some of the more obvious things; you need to click the base portal and when prompted to select a destination then activate the macro for the transit base you've chosen.

Also, pro tip. If you are solo you can use the LFG queue as a de facto transporter.  Limited to the contacts that are viable for your alignment/level; for example at level 20 you should be able to see Synapse (assuming Hero) in the LFG queue list.  Select that, select "Lock to my Group" then enter the queue.  Click the Go button (or whatever it is called) when it pops up and since you are the only one on the team it will send you to that zone standing next to that contact.

If you haven't already, collect all the exploration badges for a single zone and get the Fast Travel Accolade, which grants a menu which will list all zones in which you have collected at least one exploration badge, allowing you to teleport to that zone using "Long Range Transporter."

39 minutes ago, AroneousMentor said:

6) I think I've read almost every tips/tricks/beginner guides out there and still feel a void a knowledge throughout my game play. A glossary for all the acronyms within the community would be great lol.

Definitely check out @Shenanigunner's guides.  More there than I ever knew during Retail.

HC has its own wiki as well:

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Main_Page

Apologies if my not remembering exact names of things complicates the answer. 🙂

🍻

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

Get the Fast Travel Accolade! That thing is awesome.

And Prestige, which used to be the currency used to build bases, is no longer a thing. So you can found a Super Group, immediately build a base with all of the teleporters, and invite all of your other characters to that Super Group with the "/altinvite charactername" command.

Other than that, everything that Invaderstych said.

Oh and welcome home, hero.  🙂

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

2 hours ago, AroneousMentor said:

Server Indombinable

Main   AroneousMentor

I play there also, my global is @Marbing, I can help you out if you need! Have a super chill super group that is very welcoming to new players! 😃

Also, welcome home! 😁

• Thanks 1

Find me on Everlasting or Indom as:
Marbing (Psi/Rad Corruptor), Fortunata Moon (Fortunata Widow), Dynanight (Fire/DM Tank), Timesync (Elec/Time Corruptor), Static Sparrow (Elec/TA Controller), Cryo Punk (Ice/Cold Controller), Chamelea (SJ/Bio Stalker)Sword Fist (Claws/SR Scrapper), Mangusuu (DP/Nin Blaster), Blink Shot (Beam/Martial Blaster), Gear Fox (Beam/Traps Corruptor), Phonoalgia (Pain/Sonic Defender), Powered (FF/Energy Defender), Nullpunkt (Rad/Kin Corruptor), Black Fate (Fire/Therm Corruptor), Mirror Mage (Ill/Dark Controller),Gravoc (Gravity/Energy Dominator), Mind Pyre (Fire/Psi Dominator), Nettlethorn (Plant/Thorn Dominator), Boggle Blade (Psi/Invuln Stalker), Kelvin White (Ice/Regen Stalker), Dead Haze (Katana/DA Scrapper), Echo Boom (Sonic/EM Blaster), Ceyko (Archery/Time Blaster), Brainwasher (Mind/Poison Controller)Nachteule (DP/Dark Corruptor)Fulgrax (Axe/Elec Armor Scrapper)Void Knife (DB/Ice Stalker)Tryptophan Zombie (Mind/Kin Controller)Indo Manata (WP/Staff Tank), Masuku (Claws/WP Stalker)Blackbright (Rad/Energy Sentinel), Bedlam Bane (Sonic/Poison Corruptor), Helena Black (Necro/EA Mastermind), Boom Ranger (Sonic/TA Corruptor), Grave Sentinel (FF/Dark Defender), Dead-Life (DM/Regen Brute)

8 hours ago, AroneousMentor said:

Hey superfriends

Welcome (back)!

Try this:

/t charactername, yourmessagehere

You should be able to create a new chat tab, (I think you can right-click the main chat tab and select 'create new window' or click the little + icon).  Select "private messages" or something similar from the left column and click the arrow to add it to the other one.

Some badges have other bonuses/functions - check the Wiki for more info.

What color are the enemies that you are fighting?  The amount of XP you need to level up can feel like a big hurdle as you progress - stick with it or try teaming up.  You can look for teams running higher level content to see how you fair...

Do you mean the "enterbasefrompasscode" thing?  I think you have to be within like 10' of the actual base portal or something similar, now.

I think your best bet is to search the forums for a list of acronyms or initialisms...

Edited by biostem
  • Like 1

You'll definitely want to check out the P2W Vender in Atlas Park, all sorts of great things there, many for free. There are also a lot of Quality of Life improvements that have been added since COHs return, including the new Transportation options listed above. Bases are now free, although for some items to work, you still need to satisfy the power and control requirements. You can have Zone TP, Rez to base, Auto Doc, Pillar of Ice and Flame, Trainers, Merit Vendors, Icon Reps, Crafting, Storage and the base can be as large as you like, AT NO COST. Nice. If you install COH Modder you can then easily set up Vidiot's Maps for Issue 24 and beyond, sound and Costume Mods. Single Origin Enhancements are now available at Most venders for any level Character and there is now an Upgrade option on the Enhancement Screen to automatically upgrade all your Origin based Enhancements to the Maximum level you can use ( for Influence ) at the click of a button.

Good Hunting.

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X