Closest Archetype/powers that match Cannonball's aesthetic and powers?

I'm on a bit of a Cannonball kick lately.  I realized the other day when looking at clips from the Deadpool movie that Negasonic Teenage Warhead actually has Cannonball's powers.  Apparently, they felt he was too boring of a character, so they basically just put the wrapper of NTW on top of Cannonball's character.  Lame.  (And, completely removed her powers of precognition.  

But anyhoo, as someone who actually at one time possessed "The New Mutants" original line of comics from the early 80's, I realized how much his powers match what I'd want for myself.  Unfortunately, I'm having a hard time matching anything from the CoH universe that works.  He is essentially a projectile with a forcefield around him while blasting through things.  He can propel himself forward at just under the speed of sound and obviously he can fly.  The only thing I could come up with that makes any sense is a kinetic/nrg brute or scrapper.  

Any thoughts?

50 minutes ago, Nightmare Shaman said:

Any thoughts?

Spring Attack.

Feral Charge.

Savage Leap.

Combat Teleport.

Jaunt (available with Speed of Sound).

Translocation (available with Mystic Flight).

Burst of Speed.

Lightning Rod (similar but probably out of theme because lightning).

Shield Charge (also similar but probably out of theme because Shield).

Some options that might approximate the whole "I am a projectile" aspect of the toon.

Edited by InvaderStych
added LR and SC

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

I don't think there's a current set that's a great match for Cannonball.

I imagine the closest match is a Sentinel though. Possibly a Fire/Shield or Energy/Shield Sentinel with minimalized Shield graphics (trying setting one of the particle based ones to a very low opacity). Alternatively he could be any Sentinel Armor like Super Reflexes or Invincibility combined with Combat Teleport.

EDIT: Forgot Shield isn't available to Sentinels. 😞 So if you go Sentinel, you could go with Invincibility or Super Reflexes with Combat Teleport. Sentinel nukes recharge in half the time of other blast characters, which seems to fit his theme of big, up close nuker. Inferno doesn't have knockdown/back, but Nova will. Energy Blast colored bright orange looks good as a fire-energy concept.

It is possible to Combat Teleport into enemies while Hovering. 

Note if you prefer to go actual melee, any variety of Electric Melee + Shield character basically is this. You may be put off by the look of the lightning attacks though. 

Edited by oedipus_tex

A "Charge Attack" powerset would be a cool addition the game.  Then you could emulate characters that fight like Cannonball, Rhino, Ram Man, etc. 

It would be nigh-impossible (IMO) to make a character that really felt like Cannonball with the current powersets, though.  The various teleport based attacks have accompanying animations that are too weird or flashy and they are spread out among many different sets.

15 hours ago, oedipus_tex said:

I don't think there's a current set that's a great match for Cannonball.

I imagine the closest match is a Sentinel though. Possibly a Fire/Shield or Energy/Shield Sentinel with minimalized Shield graphics (trying setting one of the particle based ones to a very low opacity). Alternatively he could be any Sentinel Armor like Super Reflexes or Invincibility combined with Combat Teleport.

EDIT: Forgot Shield isn't available to Sentinels. 😞 So if you go Sentinel, you could go with Invincibility or Super Reflexes with Combat Teleport. Sentinel nukes recharge in half the time of other blast characters, which seems to fit his theme of big, up close nuker. Inferno doesn't have knockdown/back, but Nova will. Energy Blast colored bright orange looks good as a fire-energy concept.

It is possible to Combat Teleport into enemies while Hovering. 

Note if you prefer to go actual melee, any variety of Electric Melee + Shield character basically is this. You may be put off by the look of the lightning attacks though. 

Wouldn't that be a cool Offensive set for Sentinels? Instead of Ranged attacks, they would have lots of "jump kicks" and "teleport smashes". It allows them to attack from a distance, but forces them right into the thick of combat.

I don't know if that would let them take Shield Defense, but Shield Offense would be pretty cool. If they could do both, maybe they could have Shields in both hands! Or maybe that's absurd. They could certainly have a Shield toss ability... maybe there could be some sort of defense buff mechanic like Titan weapons have, but for ranged attacks?

Of course, if they are going to do throwing weapons, I am sure people would prefer Boomerangs/darts at this point.

• Thumbs Up 1

I recently had a blast leveling up a Savage Melee tanker, a great deal of which had to do with Savage Leap.  And after reading the above now I want some sort of TP-Smash attack set so bad I can taste it.  DEVS!  GET TO WORK!  I'd play the hell out of that.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝