A simple guide to in-game self sufficiency

biostem

First, let me start off by stating that this guide isn't about obtaining extreme levels of power or becoming an inf billionaire.  What is *is* about is getting almost any build up to the point where it can function on its own, and eventually achieve that end-game level of performance you're looking for.  I'm also writing this guide with the assumption that you aren't in a rush, that you are at least relatively familiar with the game, and that you'll be starting as a hero.

1. Create your character.  For best results, choose something that can have 2-3 attacks by level 6, (I'll explain why later).

2. Go to the P2W vendor and get the prestige enhancements, the jump pack/steam jump device, athletic run/ninja run/beast run, blackwand/Nemesis Staff, and Inner Inspiration temp powers.  Do NOT get the 2X XP buff just yet.

3. Use the inner inspiration power and store the 3 medium or large inspirations you get in the Auction House.  This is also a good time to check how much the ones you got are worth, and whether you should sell or combine them, (we'll come back to this later).

4. Slot the prestige enhancements in your 1st attack or 2 that you have, (any damaging power should be able to benefit from them).  I like to slot the one that gives a chance at knocking down your target in my fastest firing power, to make the most of that effect.

5. Go kill some enemies near Ms. Liberty until you level up.  Store any medium or large enhancements you get in the Auction House, as per #3 above, (unlikely to occur, but still).

6. Do NOT level up just yet.  Sell off any enhancements you got to one of the vendors near Ms. Liberty.

7. See what the value is of those inspirations you stored earlier - we're looking to have at least 24,000 inf before moving onto the next step, but 8,000 should suffice if you're in a hurry.  Sell them using the little bit of "seed money" you earned from your first few kills.  You can list them at 1 inf each.

8. Buy the offense amplifier, (8 hours worth), and the others if you can afford it.  Then buy the 2X XP buff, (also 8 hours worth).

9. You can then train up, select a 2nd or 3rd attack if one is available, and slot the other prestige enhancements in them.  I do, however, suggest putting your 1st 2 enhancement slots into stamina.

10. I'd then use the jump pack or steam jump powers to head up to the top of the Atlas statue globe for the badge, then go to the flag on top of city hall, and finally to the Hero Corps contact just behind and to the left of city hall, for 3 badges and some additional XP, (may even get you another level at this early stage).

11. Just to the right of city hall there's a box truck, (marked on the map as Pocket D).  Go to it then click on the back of said truck to be taken there.

12. Once in Pocket D, find the hall with the elevator and take it down to the main level.  There, go to the hero/blue side and go to the Architect Entertainment area.  You should get another badge and some XP as you're heading over.

13.  From this point, you are basically going to run a simple "Tunnel Farm", (shameless plug for my version: "Biostem's Underground Culling").  I suggest doing this until you reach level 22.  It shouldn't take too too long, but the exact time will vary based upon your AT and powersets.  The 1st run is critical, as you'll be very limited in what powers you have available, so don't be afraid to use those prestige powers you picked up earlier, as well as brawl, (you can slot one of the prestige enhancements in brawl if you need or want to).  I would stick to +0, 1 character for this initial run as well.  After completing it, you should be level 6 or 7.

14. After you complete the 1st run, go to War Witch in Pocket D, and train up.  Another attack or 2 will help greatly here and speed things along.  Slot the remaining prestige enhancements into those attacks, as each 1 increases damage and makes the power recharge faster.

15. The Tunnel Farm will cap your character at level 2, but you'll still have access to your powers that were chosen at levels 6 and below.  You should earn a few hundred Architect Tickets from each run, but don't spend them yet.

16. Once you reach level 25, turn in some of those AE tickets for rare level 41-50 salvage.  Sell those pieces of salvage on the Auction House, where you should receive about 400,000 - 500,000 inf each.  You'll want about 2-3 million inf but you'll also want about 1200 AE tickets left.  Once you have a good amount of inf, you the 1200 AE tickets remaining to buy 75 each of common tech and common arcane salvage.  This should fill your invention salvage storage.  Feel free to transfer some of this to the Vault Reserve, (little button on the main salvage window to bring up another window), if you want to buy more of the common salvage at this point.

17. Once you have a sufficient amount of inf and salvage, either head back up through the elevators or use the back of the box truck in the main Pocket D are to travel to Echo Plaza, and then eventually to Steel Canyon, (South).

18. Go to the University that's not too far from the tram station, (look for the little graduation cap icon), and use the inf and salvage you acquired to outfit yourself with level 25 Invention-Origin enhancements.  You should be able to craft everything you need, or very close to it.  Just note that salvage in your Vault Reserve cannot be directly used in crafting, so you'll have to move it manually.

19. Once outfitted, you are pretty much set for your "leveling build" - this is just to get you to 50, (or whatever level you desire).  You will get respecs and other build slots as you level up, so don't be too concerned about crafting the perfect build.  The goal is to get you powered up and slotted with enhancements that will never expire.  You can repeat the process or run the farm as much as you like.

I hope this guide is useful to some of you.  Have fun!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LocalJoe said:

Should we skip the tutorial?

If you've done it at least once and/or are familiar with MMOs in general, then you can skip it.  You are forced to level up to level 2 in it, IIRC, which will mess with the pricing for the boosts, so it would be advisable to skip it if you are already familiar with the basic controls and game systems/interface...

Edited by biostem
  • Thanks 1

I got two heal and one endurance insp for the first few. One sells for 100 and the two heals are selling for 5k but nobody is buying mine at 1inf. Is there a way to start this method without sitting and waiting for the auction house? Also this will only net me 10k which seems much lower then 24k

Edited by Jaremaru

7 hours ago, Jaremaru said:

I got two heal and one endurance insp for the first few. One sells for 100 and the two heals are selling for 5k but nobody is buying mine at 1inf. Is there a way to start this method without sitting and waiting for the auction house? Also this will only net me 10k which seems much lower then 24k

You could forego the boosts and just run the tunnel farm - they help, but aren't absolutely crucial.

I haven't been a big user of the AE farm methods before, but I decided to give your suggestions a work out and was pleasantly surprised with the result.

I took detours at level 6, 11 and 16 to do some radio missions and get the Safeguard badges, but in the duration of 2 hours of Offensive boost and Double Exp i got to level 18 smoothly (Dark Armor MArts Tank).

Not sure I would use it for all my characters, but does the job without being unfun,

regards, Screwloose.

"I am not young enough to know everything."

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ScrewlooseCohh said:

I haven't been a big user of the AE farm methods before, but I decided to give your suggestions a work out and was pleasantly surprised with the result.

That's great to hear!  Yeah - it's not about running the tunnel farm all the way to 50 - just to a point where you can afford some enhancements that won't expire, so you have a baseline level of functionality for the rest of your character's progression...