Power Surge (Electric Armor): Purpose/effect of hold enhancement sets ?

MrZork

Sorry for a dumb question, but what is the reason that Power Surge (in Electric Armor) has Holds as an enhancement set category? I see that PS says it applies a 3.00 mag hold on the target. But, isn't my own PC ("Self") the target? Will my PC be held when I activate PS? Meanwhile the enhancement thing is a little confusing if PS does not apply a hold to enemies (which I don't see that it does in the description), so why would one want to add hold enhancements to it?

Would there be much point in slotting the Holds enhancement sets into PS?

PS may be a decent power choice for my level 44 electric tanker. But, I thought it's probably worth understanding these things whether or not I take it (it would be the last of his Electric Armor powers).

1. Wrong forum.  Archetype questions belong in the appropriate archetype forum (Tanker, in this case), or in the Archetypes forum.
  2. The description of the power states, "As Power Surge wears off, the charge in your body explodes in a massive EMP pulse."  That's the Hold.  22.35 second duration, mag 3, 50% chance for an additional mag 1 Hold of the same duration, 10 target cap.
  3. The Hold occurs when Power Surge expires, 179 seconds after activation.  You don't know if you'll even be near a spawn when that happens.  And if you are in combat for the full duration of Power Surge, it's highly unlikely that what you're fighting will be vulnerable to the Hold.  Stick to slotting it for Resistance, Endurance Modification, or both, and ignore the Hold.
  • Thumbs Up 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

Thank you for that response. I had not known the EMP involved a hold. I will stick with Resistance and EndMod enhancements.

BTW, apologies for the forum mixup. When I searched for other queries related to PS, they were in General. And, of course, PS is available to 5 different archetypes, and the same question applies to all of them.

• Lead Game Master

Yeah, we do prefer questions about powers going in either the archetype forum, or the respective archetype subforum. So, moved 😃

As for the other threads you may have found while searching, well, those were from a while ago, and we try not to move too many older threads around if we don't have to.

GM Impervium
Homecoming FAQ; Need a hand? File a Support Ticket! Want to lend a hand? Apply to be a GM!

5 hours ago, Luminara said:
  1. The Hold occurs when Power Surge expires, 179 seconds after activation.  You don't know if you'll even be near a spawn when that happens.  And if you are in combat for the full duration of Power Surge, it's highly unlikely that what you're fighting will be vulnerable to the Hold.  Stick to slotting it for Resistance, Endurance Modification, or both, and ignore the Hold.

The reason you slot it for Hold is because you've already got far more resist than you could ever hope to use and Hold sets are really, really good.