Temp power give away option

Ukase

So, I fully understand that I can't and shouldn't make people play the way I would want them to play. We're all different. 

That said, last night, my SG had a "Shadow Shard Power Hour", where we'd try to do as many shard tfs as we could, within that hour. (lol, we got done with one, with about 15 minutes leftover. ) 

But, while I can trust these goofballs I've gotten to know a tiny bit over discord to actually buy the Team Transport power with the inf I gift them, the same cannot be said for the occasional PUG group. I think it would be nice if I could buy a few hundred of all of those temp TP powers and just give them away. 

Any way we can make this an option? It'd be a great inf sink, no? 

As you said, don’t try to make players play the way you would.

I have toons that thematically wouldn’t have TT - but I also wouldn’t join something that required it.

in the case of your Power Hour - it should have been made clear when recruiting (if it wasn’t) that TT was a requirement.  Then kick anyone who doesn’t have it before starting.

• Thumbs Up 1

When you say "team transport", are you referring to powers like the jetpack, or do you mean group flight and team teleport?  I'm curious why you couldn't just tell them to buy the jetpack from the P2W vendor or such, before the TF, and call it a day, (offer them the info to get it, if they need)...

Edited by biostem

6 hours ago, biostem said:

When you say "team transport", are you referring to powers like the jetpack, or do you mean group flight and team teleport?  I'm curious why you couldn't just tell them to buy the jetpack from the P2W vendor or such, before the TF, and call it a day, (offer them the info to get it, if they need)...

I am referring primarily to Team Transport. But, if I'm gonna give that away, I'd give away all the others, too, unless they don't need/want them. 

And yes, I sure could just give them all 10M inf. But then, I wouldn't know if they actually bought it. They might do something else with it. This is why I don't believe Cash is one size fits all in real life. Some people are foolish with their money - like one of my twin daughters. Crazy, one is super wise with it, the other is just foolish and drives me insane. 

Once, I formed a team for a shard TF and got trolled by someone, who accepted the inf, claimed to have gotten the power, and then when it was their turn to use it, they claimed something like, "Well, I got it, but I don't know where it is." 

Me: Press the word Powers and look in that list on the right. It should be in there. 
Them: I don't see it. 
Me: Dude, I gave you 10M to buy it. How is it that you don't see it? 
Them: I dunno. I don't see it. 

I had to laugh to keep from crying. I mean, 10m is chump change. But when you're on a 16 mission task force, you want all the team teleports you can get! 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah... I'm with @Ghost on this one. Save yourself the headache. If you want everyone to have Team Transporter, then advertise that everyone needs it for the team or they will be kicked. It's not that I'm against the power itself, I just don't bother with it. So if that means I can't team with you or others? That's on me.

Sometimes you ask players to get a specific temporary/P2W power and give them the resources they need to get it, and they actually get it. Other times, you get what happened to you. Just let everyone know they need to have the requisite power for the team when forming, check their powers tab for compliance (if P2W powers are listed there) or ask them to verify they have the correct power available and on a power tray, and boot as necessary. They knew the requirements going in. Not up to you to hold their hand. Just find someone else.

Edit: As a side note? Even if you could just throw that power on others, if it works like other things you can give other players, like enhancements, the other player may not be aware you gave them the power and not care to look for it even if you told him/her you gave it to him/her. And personally? I would be rather upset to have another player just walk up to me and force a power on me I didn't want on that character.

Edited by Rudra
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Rudra said:

Edit: As a side note? Even if you could just throw that power on others, if it works like other things you can give other players, like enhancements, the other player may not be aware you gave them the power and not care to look for it even if you told him/her you gave it to him/her. And personally? I would be rather upset to have another player just walk up to me and force a power on me I didn't want on that character.

Is there some reason why you wouldn't want a free power that saves you time to play more of the game you presumably enjoy? 

I completely get that some folks are accustomed to riding a turtle a dozen miles and enjoy the scenery. And that's you're right. 

I would have no plans to just dump the power on unsuspecting players. I'd basically stand under Atlas and shout in broadcast that anyone that wants it can have it. 
This isn't necessarily about me having teammates that can help me finish a tf faster, although that's a plus. It's about an inf sink. 

I have enough inf now where if all my builds on each character slot cost me 500M, I can get it. And I promise you, with all the character email I have with Winter-Os and ATOs, there is no build that's gonna cost me even close to that much. 

And, as a side note, if someone were to drop something on you that you didn't ask for and don't want, you should be able to right-click and delete it. 

• Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, Ukase said:

And, as a side note, if someone were to drop something on you that you didn't ask for and don't want, you should be able to right-click and delete it. 

You cannot delete the team transporter power. If you have it, you have it. It is like trying to delete any other prestige power the P2W vendor has. You can't. Just like you can't just delete the Christmas present power when someone gives it to you. Though at least that one goes away when you use it.

1 hour ago, Ukase said:

Is there some reason why you wouldn't want a free power that saves you time to play more of the game you presumably enjoy? 

If that particular character does not fit the theme for calling a Longbow Chaser to carry the character to the destination? Then no. I have no reason to take it. Especially since the Mission Transporter power works just as well at getting me to my mission without the Longbow Chaser/Arachnos Mini-Flier showing up to do so. And the Long-Range Teleporter gets me into the zone at least if I'm too far from a base portal or ferry or tram. And if I don't have Long-Range Teleporter or have that zone unlocked for it? There is the base transporter that gets me to the zone I need to get to. So there is no need for someone like me to have the Team Transporter power. (Edit: I also appreciate how you question my enjoyment of the game because I don't take the powers you think I should. If that was not your intended implication, then maybe you shouldn't say things like "of the game you presumably enjoy". You could have just left it at "Is there some reason why you wouldn't want a free power that saves you time?".)

Hells, even when I'm on a team and someone on the team pops Team Transporter, I'm usually half a mile away flying, teleporting, jumping, or running before they even get the summon off. Assuming it was not a long distance travel prompting me to just use Mission Transporter. (Edit: And if I'm first to the mission? Most of my characters have teleport other. So I just start recalling everyone to me. There are other options for the team to quickly get to their destination. For instance, you can Mission Transport and then Assemble the Team if your character is a teleport themed character. Mission Transport and Teleport Others if you want to use actual Teleport pool powers.)

1 hour ago, Ukase said:

I would have no plans to just dump the power on unsuspecting players. I'd basically stand under Atlas and shout in broadcast that anyone that wants it can have it. 
This isn't necessarily about me having teammates that can help me finish a tf faster, although that's a plus. It's about an inf sink. 

Great. I'm glad you won't force others to take a power they may or may not want. Can you speak for everyone else?

Look, I'm not saying the Team Transporter power is a bad thing. It's just not for everyone. And if you need an inf' sink, then stand under the Atlas statue in Atlas Park or near the starter plaza in Mercy Island and broadcast you are giving out inf' to lowbies to get them started. I'm sure they will greatly appreciate it.

Edited by Rudra
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Rudra said:

You cannot delete the team transporter power. If you have it, you have it. It is like trying to delete any other prestige power the P2W vendor has. You can't. Just like you can't just delete the Christmas present power when someone gives it to you. Though at least that one goes away when you use it

Thank you. This very comment just reminded me that a player could revoke it at P2W. So, while I guess you can't delete it, you can revoke it. 

I don't think it gives any inf back, though. In this context, though, I'm okay with that. 

You may have interpreted some attempt by me to dismiss how you or others choose to play. That is not the case. But it is the case that I often have no idea how others specifically play. 
I have made challenge characters that did without these temp powers, because they were back in the way-back machine, pretending IOs and such didn't exist. Some characters only slotted what dropped. Sold the rest, and bought nothing from anyone, with gifts and trades disallowed. And if they got defeated, they got deleted. 

So, I can grasp why some might not want a free temp power on every character. But that wouldn't stop someone from switching to a character that might want it. I am just trying to be helpful, after all. 

I don’t necessarily think this is a horrible idea.  I do think your reasoning and presentation need a lot of work.

Initially, this sounded like a way for you to force a power on someone else.  That should never happen.  Ever.

What you should have tried to sell us on was being able to give away TT as a way to help newer players.  Every time I run a TF with someone new or returning to the game, they always ask “where does that power come from?” - now you would have the option of offering it to them, rather than saying “P2W, and oh yeah, make sure you have 10mill to spend”.

• Thumbs Up 1

If nothing else, if this were to be implemented, it would need to function like a trade. "Player A has offered you the Team Transporter power. Do you accept?"

(Edit: Or, you know, stand at the P2W vendor broadcasting that you are giving away inf' for players to buy the Team Transporter power. And if they do, congrats, you provided that character with the power. And if they take the money and run instead, congrats, you gave that character a boost towards buying enhancements. Either way, you helped.)

Edited by Rudra