New to Scrappering: Spine/Bio Advice Please

Gulbasaur

Bonjour

Spines is the only primary I can see with ranged attacks (edit: apparently I can't read, some others do to0) and I like the idea of two damage auras and Bio looks like Dark but more clicky and I like Dark and I've got a character theme that broadly works.

Spines seems a bit clunky to play - the attack chain felt off when I played around on beta with an auto-slotted character.

I have tankers (dark/dark: completely invincible but does about 1dps), a brute (rad/rad: it's fine), and a stalker (BS/Shield: Crit on Demand is very good). My heart lies with the hybrids, though: Peacebringers and Fortunatas are just bae. Spines will hopefully fulfil my need for range and melee. It's that or a blaster and frankly I'd rather not spend the whole time holding floor aggro.

My questions:

1. Any skippable powers? Bio looks like it's a clear "take everything" set. How's Spines?
  2. What's the conventional wisdom on where the ATO sets go?
  3. This looks like a scranker build. Will I scrank, whether I like it or not? It has a lot of taunts and a lot of debuff so it looks like an aggro magnet.
  4. I'm not particularly a "softcap or gtfo" player because I've never found it necessary and everyone and their little dog too farts out defence buffs once you get past level 30. I'm not looking to solo 801 missions or ITF. I just wanna have a good time, baby. Beyond the basic obvious once like the two 3% defence IOs etc any super special proc interactions I can abuse?

Teach me, scrapper gurus.

Edited by Gulbasaur
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

here is my take ignore the attacks and please dont ask about spines and the slotting there i concluded this at 50 with i dont like spines and built a rad/bio that i still play anyway the armor slotting is solid over like 10 scrappers for me sorta easy to transfer as a template so i figure maybe it helps

oh and "scranking" not really you dont take agro you have a mag 3 aura you sometimes take short agro with DNA siphon but if a brute farts he now has agro again it is nice when you end up as only melee on team but blasters can still rob your agro helps keep support safe however like troller domi corr fender other then that just avoids runners

Spoiler

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.2.17
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Scrapper
Primary Power Set: Spines
Secondary Power Set: Bio Armor
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Mu Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Barb Swipe -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(3), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(3), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(5), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(29), SprCrtStr-Rchg/+50% Crit(31)
Level 1: Hardened Carapace -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), UnbGrd-Max HP%(9), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(23), UnbGrd-ResDam(23), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(25), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(25)
Level 2: Lunge -- Hct-Dmg(A), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(7), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(7), Hct-Dam%(13)
Level 4: Environmental Modification -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Ksm-ToHit+(13), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(15), Rct-Def/EndRdx(17), Rct-ResDam%(17)
Level 6: Kick -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(15), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(46), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(46)
Level 8: Spine Burst -- Arm-Dmg(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(21), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(21), Arm-Dam%(31), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(34), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(45)
Level 10: Adaptation
Level 12: Inexhaustible -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 14: Tough -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(37), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(37), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(37)
Level 16: Ablative Carapace -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(31), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(34), Prv-Heal/Rchg(36), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(36), Prv-Absorb%(36)
Level 18: Quills -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(19), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(19), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(27), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(29)
Level 20: Evolving Armor -- RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(A), RctArm-ResDam(39), RctArm-ResDam/Rchg(39), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(40)
Level 22: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 24: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(27)
Level 26: Build Up -- GssSynFr--Build%(A)
Level 28: DNA Siphon -- SprScrStr-Dmg/Rchg(A), SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), SprScrStr-Rchg/+Crit(40), ThfofEss-+End%(42)
Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(39)
Level 32: Throw Spines -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(33), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(33), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(33), PstBls-Dam%(34), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(48)
Level 35: Genetic Contamination -- SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), SprScrStr-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(45)
Level 38: Zapp -- Apc-Dmg(A), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(42), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(43), Apc-Dam%(43)
Level 41: Ball Lightning -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(45), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(48), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(48), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(50), PstBls-Dam%(50)
Level 44: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 47: Tactics -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 49: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Critical Hit
Level 1: Brawl -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(9), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(11), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(50)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PwrTrns-+Heal(46)
Level 49: Quick Form
Level 50: Musculature Core Paragon
Level 50: Freedom Phalanx Reserve
Level 50: Portal Jockey
Level 50: Task Force Commander
Level 50: The Atlas Medallion
Level 10: Defensive Adaptation
Level 10: Efficient Adaptation
Level 10: Offensive Adaptation
------------

On 7/14/2022 at 10:01 AM, Gulbasaur said:

Spines is the only primary I can see with ranged attacks (edit: apparently I can't read, some others do to0) and I like the idea of two damage auras and Bio looks like Dark but more clicky and I like Dark and I've got a character theme that broadly works.

Dark is a resistance set. Bio is a hybrid set where you will rely on S/L/T/P resistance and F/C/E/N/T/P defense backed by absorption and regeneration. Clicking is pretty minimal given two of its three click powers are reactive and not on particularly short cooldowns (you don't heal unless you're damaged and you do not throw up an absorption shield unless your life is low). The one remaining click power is a pro-active thing best used when jumping into large crowds. 

If you have decided on Spines, then all well and good. But Claws does come with ranged attacks and Follow Up (which you should be familiar with from the land of spiders). 

9 minutes ago, Erratic1 said:

If you have decided on Spines, then all well and good. But Claws does come with ranged attacks and Follow Up (which you should be familiar with from the land of spiders). 

Claws is sort of too familiar and I don't like repeating sets. Thank you, though.

46 minutes ago, PainX said:

i concluded this at 50 with i dont like spines

I played around on Beta and... I think I have come to the same conclusion. It feels like it lacks synergy with itself, if that make sense.

45 minutes ago, PainX said:

if a brute farts he now has agro again

You're speaking my language. I'm used to either playing on my Tanker where the aggro is mine and you will give it back or my widow that occasionally has Provoke and I have to actively maintain aggro so that's actually really useful.

Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

5 minutes ago, Gulbasaur said:

Claws is sort of too familiar and I don't like repeating sets. Thank you, though.

Yeah, I used to be the same with repeating sets. At a certain point, if you keep making characters though, you have to repeat. 😛

Just now, Gulbasaur said:

I played around on Beta and... I think I have come to the same conclusion. It feels like it lacks synergy with itself, if that make sense.

You're speaking my language. I'm used to either playing on my Tanker where the aggro is mine and you will give it back or my widow that occasionally has Provoke and I have to actively maintain aggro so that's actually really useful.

it makes perfect sense considering i think the same also it has low damage attacks you need something for critical strikes something to feed it a good old finishing move as for a good example one of the best is clobber in warmace this power exemplifies everything i mean when i say finisher and is one of the best out there

I’ve got a build I can post when I get home. One of my favorite scrappers. It is a fucking huge end hog until you’re IO’d out then it is manageable. It’s a dusty build I need to redo some but not gonna bother now until beta changes go into affect. 

Here is the build.  It is super fun.  Little squishy but I play a lot of SR and INV so I'm sure that is why I feel that way.

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.2.17
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Scrapper
Primary Power Set: Spines
Secondary Power Set: Bio Armor
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Concealment
Power Pool: Speed

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Lunge -- Hct-Dam%(A), Hct-Dmg(3), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), Hct-Acc/Rchg(5), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(5)
Level 1: Hardened Carapace -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(11), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(11), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(17)
Level 2: Inexhaustible -- PrfShf-EndMod(A), PrfShf-End%(19), Pnc-Heal/+End(19), Pnc-Heal(21)
Level 4: Spine Burst -- Arm-Dam%(A), Arm-Dmg(21), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(29), Arm-Acc/Rchg(29), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(31)
Level 6: Environmental Modification -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-ResDam%(7), Rct-Def(9), Rct-Def/EndRdx(9)
Level 8: Super Jump -- Empty(A)
Level 10: Adaptation 
Level 12: Impale -- Apc-Dam%(A), Apc-Dmg(13), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(13), Apc-Acc/Rchg(15), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(15)
Level 14: Kick -- Empty(A)
Level 16: Ablative Carapace -- DctWnd-Heal(A), DctWnd-EndRdx/Rchg(34), DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx(34), DctWnd-Heal/Rchg(34), DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(36)
Level 18: Quills -- SprCrtStr-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), SprCrtStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31), SprCrtStr-Dmg/Rchg(31), SprCrtStr-Acc/Dmg(33), SprCrtStr-Rchg/+50% Crit(33), SprCrtStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33)
Level 20: Evolving Armor -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(36), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(36), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(37)
Level 22: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(23), GldArm-ResDam(23), GldArm-End/Res(27)
Level 24: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(25), LucoftheG-Def(25), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(27)
Level 26: Ripper -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(40), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(40), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), Obl-%Dam(42)
Level 28: DNA Siphon -- Prv-Absorb%(A), Prv-Heal(45), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(46), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(46), Prv-Heal/Rchg(46), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(48)
Level 30: Build Up -- GssSynFr--Build%(A), RechRdx-I(50)
Level 32: Throw Spines -- SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprScrStr-Dmg/Rchg(37), SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), SprScrStr-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(39), SprScrStr-Rchg/+Crit(39), SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(39)
Level 35: Genetic Contamination -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(43), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(43), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(45), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45)
Level 38: Parasitic Aura -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/Rchg(42), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(50), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 41: Stealth -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 44: Infiltration -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 47: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(48)
Level 49: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Critical Hit 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(7)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod/Acc(17), PrfShf-EndMod(48)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 50: The Atlas Medallion 
Level 50: Portal Jockey 
Level 50: Task Force Commander 
Level 50: Freedom Phalanx Reserve 
Level 10: Defensive Adaptation 
Level 10: Efficient Adaptation 
Level 10: Offensive Adaptation 
Level 8: Double Jump 
------------

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Thrax said:

Also, spines is about the only thing I've ended up liking appearance wise with bio armor.  I know you can turn a lot of bio armor off but the toggles you cannot.

The toggles all have a minimal setting except Genetic Contamination, whose effect is pretty minimal anyway.

Edited by Erratic1

45 minutes ago, Thrax said:

Adaptation can’t be reduced either. Sorry that is what I was talking about. 

It is pretty minimal as is. Invulnerability, which nobody complains about, is on the same order when running Unyielding.

4 hours ago, Erratic1 said:

It is pretty minimal as is. Invulnerability, which nobody complains about, is on the same order when running Unyielding.

Unyielding tuned to min I don’t think I ever notice it.doing anything visually.  I’ll get on one tomorrow and check. Can’t not seek weird utendril arms and water or whatever poring off you haves.  I really wouldn’t compare the two. 

11 hours ago, Thrax said:

Here is the build.  It is super fun.  Little squishy but I play a lot of SR and INV so I'm sure that is why I feel that way.

no it also is quite squishy it is that because a S&L soft cap will cover most attacks and because most -def comes in the form of lethal damage attacks so when they miss me they will hit you optimaly you would soft cap S&L + NRG/NEG i just never found room to do both so i do 44-45 S&L and 32,5 for NRG/NEG/Fire/cold meaning 1 purple soft caps normal content or that is the goal and concept at least but all that being said it wont compete with the two toughest sets ingame entirely no it can just be alot tougher then that build

Edited by PainX

10 hours ago, PainX said:

no it also is quite squishy it is that because a S&L soft cap will cover most attacks and because most -def comes in the form of lethal damage attacks so when they miss me they will hit you optimaly you would soft cap S&L + NRG/NEG i just never found room to do both so i do 44-45 S&L and 32,5 for NRG/NEG/Fire/cold meaning 1 purple soft caps normal content or that is the goal and concept at least but all that being said it wont compete with the two toughest sets ingame entirely no it can just be alot tougher then that build

thanks buddy. I went for more recharge and damage on this build than survivability. I have other survivable scrappers. This guy just aoe machine. He is due an update though. 

On 7/18/2022 at 1:03 AM, Thrax said:

Unyielding tuned to min I don’t think I ever notice it.doing anything visually.  I’ll get on one tomorrow and check. Can’t not seek weird utendril arms and water or whatever poring off you haves.  I really wouldn’t compare the two. 

Know that I am home and looking, I see nothing visual about invul at all.  Like zero.  I have everything put on minimum and there is nothing visually you cannot turn off.  Bio you cannot minimize it.  Adaptation will have glaring effects regardless of colors.  

7 hours ago, Thrax said:

Know that I am home and looking, I see nothing visual about invul at all.  Like zero.  I have everything put on minimum and there is nothing visually you cannot turn off.  Bio you cannot minimize it.  Adaptation will have glaring effects regardless of colors.  

this is a common issue with some armor really bio shield at least both have some probably a bunch of others worst offender on bio to me is ablative since it covers you in poo bio could use a good minimal fx version what is there now aint that great just removes perma poo

Edited by PainX

• 2 weeks later
On 7/21/2022 at 1:00 AM, PainX said:

this is a common issue with some armor really bio shield at least both have some probably a bunch of others worst offender on bio to me is ablative since it covers you in poo bio could use a good minimal fx version what is there now aint that great just removes perma poo

My man, you really gotta start using some grammar and punctuation. This stream-of-consciousness word vomit stuff is hard to read.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/16/2022 at 4:38 AM, Erratic1 said:

Clicking is pretty minimal given two of its three click powers are reactive and not on particularly short cooldowns (you don't heal unless you're damaged and you do not throw up an absorption shield unless your life is low). The one remaining click power is a pro-active thing best used when jumping into large crowds.

This is pretty terrible advice on playing Bio. First of all, if you build for decent recharge (which you always should), the down time on these powers is pretty small. Second, there is no reason to wait on using Ablative Carapace. Its job is to absorb damage, so why you would wait until your health is low to let it perform that function I have no idea. The sooner you use it, the more effective damage absorption you will have over time. Third, you generally don't wait to use DNA Siphon as a clutch heal. You use it as soon as you have a decent pile of bodies to keep the regen and recovery going.

What you should be doing is:

1. Use Ablative Carapace 
  2. Jump into spawn
  3. Use Parasitic Aura
  4. Wipe out minions and lieutenants 
  5. Use DNA Siphon
  6. Wipe out bosses
  7. Go to step 1

If you're killing things too fast to keep this on repeat then you need to increase your notoriety settings and/or get more recharge.

Edited by Galactiman

3 hours ago, Galactiman said:

This is pretty terrible advice on playing Bio. First of all, if you build for decent recharge (which you always should), the down time on these powers is pretty small. Second, there is no reason to wait on using Ablative Carapace. Its job is to absorb damage, so why you would wait until your health is low to let it perform that function I have no idea. The sooner you use it, the more effective damage absorption you will have over time. Third, you generally don't wait to use DNA Siphon as a clutch heal. You use it as soon as you have a decent pile of bodies to keep the regen and recovery going.

What you should be doing is:

1. Use Ablative Carapace 
  2. Jump into spawn
  3. Use Parasitic Aura
  4. Wipe out minions and lieutenants 
  5. Use DNA Siphon
  6. Wipe out bosses
  7. Go to step 1

If you're killing things too fast to keep this on repeat then you need to increase your notoriety settings and/or get more recharge.

Or maybe rather than being terrible advice I make better builds which do not need to pop Ablative Carapace and DNA Siphon on every spawn.*

Btw, Parasitic Aura's base recharge is 270s. Most people who build for recharge build to reach perma-Hasten and no further. Assuming +100% Recharge through slotting of the power that puts them at a divisor of 3.75, bringing the recharge on the power down to 72s. I will also note that a person is not always engaged in killing the hardest things they can survive. Case in point, last Sunday a guild member was short five levels of being able to run the TF the guild was going to be forming teams to run that night. I invited them to party with me as I ran +3x8. I can do +4x8 but for purposes of generating xp for the fellow guild members I picked a level where (a) they would not be dying all the time, (b) I would be able to be pretty lax in paying attention to survival. Admittedly, at that level it is not really that Parasitic Aura as going to see a ton of use in any event but that is a reason to not be increasing notoriety settings.

*Edit: It occurs to me I typically play Bio on a Brute so perhaps more hp/higher resistance cap allows for less use of aforementioned powers. 

Edited by Erratic1

On 7/31/2022 at 3:12 AM, Galactiman said:

My man, you really gotta start using some grammar and punctuation. This stream-of-consciousness word vomit stuff is hard to read.

feel free to file a complaint with the Danish school board not that it will get you anywhere been there done that