AoE Holds Revamp for Controllers/Dominators

Blackfeather

The AoE holds recharge should be reduced at least as much as blaster/defender/corruptor nukes were imo.  To me aoe holds are the controller version of nukes, although considering they just hold things instead of just flat out deleting things, they wouldn't be as overpowered like nukes currently are.  So, we're looking at going from 4 minutes down to about 2.5 minutes base (145 seconds to be exact is the "standard" nuke recharge time).  Yes, accuracy being set to at least 1.0 would be nice as well.

Not sure they need more than that, although some of the activation times could also use a look.  Flash is a perfect example between its horrendous activation time and it being melee based, it is as likely to get you killed using it as it is to be useful.  A hard skip on almost all my illusion controllers.

On 10/2/2022 at 8:14 AM, Zeraphia said:

I honestly am for this change, however I still believe in most builds the AoE hold will end up being a skip or simply a set mule. 

To be quite truthful, I think it might be time to add special effects to enemies that are under the effects of Held status to make getting Hold powers more attractive rather than solely the powers themselves. 

There are an infinite number of ways to approach the above scenario. One may suggest "enemies under effects of Held status take bonus independent multiplier damage" to "enemies suffering under held status take additional debuff effects" blah blah blah, but someone on here will have an issue with whatever the approach to this is. 

Glad to hear you do like these changes! Some of the intent here definitely was to try and make them more desirable.

There's absolutely plenty of ways to go about adding more effects to Hold effects, though it wasn't really something that I thought about at the time. Perhaps looking at D&D's Paralyzed effect would be a good place to start, which causes targets to take more damage, and is guaranteed to succumb to some kinds of effects (it also makes enemies easier to hit, but since that's already something that Earth Control does, it's probably not the best of ideas to step into its niche).

But in lieu of that, each of the AoE Holds do at least have some kind of secondary effect now, meaning they'll both do more than just lock foes in place, while also still doing something even if they're used against enemies with protection against them, since unlike status effects, debuffs will always do at least something (with the exception of the effect given to Vines).

On 10/3/2022 at 8:13 PM, MoonSheep said:

ah, that’s good to know - hadn’t noticed the aggro too much on total domination

the addition of damage may open up new proc strategies that interest some people for sure 

perhaps i’m being too resistant to change, i should welcome a buff!

Thank you - happy to hear that the proposal's potentially an interesting one on your end!

• Like 1

On 10/4/2022 at 5:03 PM, blue4333 said:

Love this idea!

Might as well kill the enemies instead of just standing there staring at each other.

Thank you, glad to hear you like the sound of this proposal!

While the main focus here was more on making these powers do something against enemies with protection against status effects, it certainly does add to the damage capacity of Controllers (and to a lesser extent, Dominators) to some degree, something that the latter doesn't have very much in the way of.

On 10/5/2022 at 11:33 PM, Riverdusk said:

The AoE holds recharge should be reduced at least as much as blaster/defender/corruptor nukes were imo.  To me aoe holds are the controller version of nukes, although considering they just hold things instead of just flat out deleting things, they wouldn't be as overpowered like nukes currently are.  So, we're looking at going from 4 minutes down to about 2.5 minutes base (145 seconds to be exact is the "standard" nuke recharge time).  Yes, accuracy being set to at least 1.0 would be nice as well.

Not sure they need more than that, although some of the activation times could also use a look.  Flash is a perfect example between its horrendous activation time and it being melee based, it is as likely to get you killed using it as it is to be useful.  A hard skip on almost all my illusion controllers.

The Blast T9s were definitely a useful reference point for me to readjust the AoE Holds - I bumped the recharge of them down to 180s (as opposed to making them lower) mostly because of them. Similarly, accuracy was boosted too (but less so than the nukes). I figured that the potentially longer duration of their status effects/debuffs would help to make up for their longer recharge times somewhat, not to mention their earlier access in comparison.

I'll admit I don't know all that much about activation times, but if it means that powers can trigger earlier, that definitely sounds useful to change too!