Farm nerfs

Snarky

1 hour ago, battlewraith said:

So now, in the face of other changes that affect farming and pling, they decided to revert this bonus to the intended amount. Why? What is the benefit of reducing the rewards for an activity that people have been routinely doing for years?

I am reminded of Robert Heinlein's statement "There has grown up in the minds of certain groups in this country the notion that because a man or corporation has made a profit out of the public for a number of years, the government and the courts are charged with the duty of guaranteeing such profit in the future, even in the face of changing circumstances and contrary to the public interest. This strange doctrine is not supported by statute or common law. Neither individuals nor corporations have any right to come into court and ask that the clock of history be stopped, or turned back."

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, srmalloy said:

I am reminded of Robert Heinlein's statement "There has grown up in the minds of certain groups in this country the notion that because a man or corporation has made a profit out of the public for a number of years, the government and the courts are charged with the duty of guaranteeing such profit in the future, even in the face of changing circumstances and contrary to the public interest. This strange doctrine is not supported by statute or common law. Neither individuals nor corporations have any right to come into court and ask that the clock of history be stopped, or turned back."

They are not obligated to please me or anyone. They would be within their rights to remove xp boosters altogether. A lot of people on these boards are trying to characterize criticism of this decision as entitlement on the part of players. There's an undercurrent of ad hominem that flows through a lot of these replies. It's nonsense. Investment in the game involves feedback from players about what they like and don't like.

Perhaps you would prefer that people only said good things in response to changes? Or said nothing at all?

• Thumbs Up 4

2 hours ago, Clam Leader said:

Afk farming shouldn't exist.

This is the only thing I agree with when it comes to farmers and how to "deal with" them. Players shouldn't be rewarded for intentional disengagement and honestly, a lot of the changes to the AI and powers do facilitate increasing difficulty for AFK farmers while only being an inconvenience to current builds/maps for active farmers. Enemies that are mostly (or all) ranged with the AI code change letting mobs outside the aggro cap fire at you from range while adding -Defense to fire sword attacks (which, by the way, is a player buff too) told me they were trying to limit the ease of AFK farming without truly impacting active players/farmers.

I personally think they succeeded in that aim. There are a lot of resources available, in particular those posted by Angel, that show how simple it is to adjust your character/maps to continue farming under the new system. Can you still AFK farm even after these adjustments? Sure, but it's a more involved process than it used to be and that's a step in the right direction IMO.

I was going to avoid posting in this thread since it just seems like it's a hotbed of disgruntled players who believe they're being targeted with nerfs butting heads with the usual suspects pretending that I don't have actual evidence of what they claim isn't happening (no, I'm not posting it because it was given to me in confidence; feel free to dismiss it for that reason alone). That said, I'd like to think we can all agree that AFK Farming specifically is something that shouldn't be encouraged, yes?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 7

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

Honestly farming is about adapting to the changes as is 'anything' in the game.  When it comes to the meta of 'anything' in 'any' game in fact, the meta can generally be expected to change.  Now I understand 100% if you don't like the direction of the new meta, I mean, I didn't like champions onlines heavy handed forced balanced changes towards effectively melee only.  In comparison to here, I feel the changes in this game have at best, if a nerf happened, mild at best.

On afk farming, yeah, this game isn't factorio/minecraft/starbound/terraria.  And honestly the existence of AFK farming made me wonder about players with extremely high veteran levels that are just not remotely realistic for anyone.  I mean compare two players both working 40 hours, and have maybe 20 hours free time, the afk farmer in an extreme circumstance, especially if working from home, could easily make an afk farm and restart it constantly the entire shift.  Thats a LOT of experience compared to the other player, even if that other player has effective farms of there own, the fact they aren't afk farming would mean they could never possibly cover such a gap.

It'd be like cheating, and I have had, as I'm sure some here may also have shared, experiences with being accused of cheating for simply doing well and playing honestly.  Honest players who are good look bad, and afk farming far as I can tell it easily makes anyone who has 1000+ veteran levels look very dishonest.

• Thumbs Up 2

29 minutes ago, Shadeknight said:

So there I was, fighting a chimpanzee one on one in hand to hand combat...

Wait no no this is interesting…

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

"Right Turn, Clyde."

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------

15252 Child of the Tsoo - [SFMA] Ninjas, sorcerers, and human trafficking (Origin Story - Stick Figure/Storm Lotus)

50769 Hunt of the Eclipse - [SFMA] Finding something that was lost to Arachnos for nearly 20 years (Origin Story - Daisy Chain)

53149 Spells as a Service - [SFMA] When a young hacker makes a connection between magic and mathematics and encodes it into a computer program, chaos breaks loose!