TF speed runs

Techwright

I was on a PUG the other day that ran the Yin TF in just over 14 minutes.  Fastest speed run I've ever been on.  I'm sure YMMV, and that some teams have clocked a lot faster.

It got me thinking:  The game has the ability to measure time to complete a TF.  I believe the game also has the ability to not allow a mission to have a successful completion as long as a single opponent is standing.  Can it therefore merge these two?  I'd really like to see what times might be achieved by a team clearing absolutely every opponent in any TF/SF that has a set number of opponents, rather than finding ways to skip most of the material.  I realize things like Market Crash that spawns a potentially infinite number of opponents at the end wouldn't qualify.

EDIT:  And if the game can do this, can it do it by chapter?  For example:  can it post the time in Yin TF when we complete the leg that ends on the jail cells level of the police station?

Edited by Techwright

It is certainly possible as there's kill most missions but it would require quite some work on the backend to make different modes for tfs I imagine. The fastest kill most of any TF wouldn't be as interesting, though. It'll be 8 fire/fire blasters all splitting up and killing mobs as fast as they can. It would probably come down to making sure there's no runners from mobs of enemies to get the fastest time.

You can sort of already do this... Just announce your TF is a "Kill all" TF and set the timer - at the end, you'll see how long it took you to complete defeating all.  I'll do this with the ITF or other TFs occasionally (including Marketcrash, which does have a finite number of mobs at end). 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

16 hours ago, Techwright said:

I was on a PUG the other day that ran the Yin TF in just over 14 minutes.  Fastest speed run I've ever been on.  I'm sure YMMV, and that some teams have clocked a lot faster.

If a PUG doesn't engage every group, and doesn't have the difficult set such that ToHit chances are miserable, 14 mins is pretty reasonable. I have solo times that are below that... and some of those runs included travel time from the second Freakshow mission to the helicopter (because fast transport options had not recharged).

I love a clear all, and I also don't mind a speed run. When I join a group that advertises speed, I know by the second Freakshow spawn if they are actually trying for speed or if they mean something else.... because the second Freak spawn after the crashed helicopter can be skipped. I just roll with it, but I will also troll with it on "speed runs" when the leader asks "why are you running ahead?" (and even more ridiculous "wait for me while I destroy the jail cell doors") or on "kill all" where someone asks "Why are you opening all the doors?".

One bit of trolling-not-trolling on the Yin TF that I actually put thought into to is whether or not the team can handle having all the computers clicked to resummon Clamor simultaneous with the waves of attacking Freaks. If the team has been steamrolling, bring her back ASAP (and go ahead and open all the doors to the reactor room). If the team is really struggling and has had multiple deaths... by all means hold off on the resummon. By this point in the TF, everyone on the team should know what the team can handle.

Lest anyone think I've maximize "trolling" on the Yin TF, the one thing I've never (yet) done is use Fold Space to bring Freaks into the reactor room when they are otherwise piling up behind a closed door (that has been kept closed at the insistence of the leader). I'll just Combat Teleport into the adjacent room to not just fight the enemies but also to inspire the hopes that my character will fall in an embarrassing way, earning an "I told you so".

8 hours ago, DarknessEternal said:

You don't want this.  It's too easy for a mob to fall into some unreachable place.

Maybe you want a kill some percentage, but not a kill all.

Fair enough.  Kill 95% or better?  If there's 5 or more delving into the cracks, that's really the time to notify the devs, anyway.

12 hours ago, Loc said:

It is certainly possible as there's kill most missions but it would require quite some work on the backend to make different modes for tfs I imagine. The fastest kill most of any TF wouldn't be as interesting, though. It'll be 8 fire/fire blasters all splitting up and killing mobs as fast as they can. It would probably come down to making sure there's no runners from mobs of enemies to get the fastest time.

It sounds like it would require an added variable, such as a team comprised of different archetypes, one character per archetype. Or additional scoring for those who want to run all of type X.