How did it happen?

I’m sure this has been asked, but how is CoX coming back even possible? How did it happen? I honestly had no idea it had happened until I saw a random suggested video on YouTube. Don’t get me wrong, I was overjoyed to find out it was back. I guess I’m just still in shock because I love and have missed this game so much

TL;DR: i24 beta code got leaked, a bunch of people made a single secret private server with it (for cool kids only; no plebs allowed) and six years later someone decided to blab to the news about it. After everyone got rightfully pissed off about not being told about the secret server, the code has been released (illegally) and everyone and their dog has a server now.

And my dog runs an AWESOME server!

I’m sure this has been asked, but how is CoX coming back even possible? How did it happen? I honestly had no idea it had happened until I saw a random suggested video on YouTube. Don’t get me wrong, I was overjoyed to find out it was back. I guess I’m just still in shock because I love and have missed this game so much

TL;DR: i24 beta code got leaked, a bunch of people made a single secret private server with it (for cool kids only; no plebs allowed) and six years later someone decided to blab to the news about it. After everyone got rightfully pissed off about not being told about the secret server, the code has been released (illegally) and everyone and their dog has a server now.

Sample intro to the Penelope Yip! Yip! Task Force from your dog's awesome server:

Mission Briefing

Character! Bark!

Grrr... woof woof, bark, Character, woof woof woof woof.  Bark bark bark woof woof growl!  Bark whine Terra Volta, bark?

Bark bark woof woof yip yip yip yip yip, bark bark woof barkity bark bark bark!  Woof woof woof woof.  *wags tail*.

Bark bark bar bark woof woof heroes bark bark bark woof woof woof.  Growl grrr grrr woof woof woof woof woof!

Mission Acceptance

Bark!  *wags tail*

Woof woof woof woof Terra Volta.

Bark bark woof?  *tilts head sideways*

Unnecessary Solicitation

Bark?  *rolls over*

Sample intro to the Penelope Yip! Yip! Task Force from your dog's awesome server:

Mission Briefing

Character! Bark!

Grrr... woof woof, bark, Character, woof woof woof woof.  Bark bark bark woof woof growl!  Bark whine Terra Volta, bark?

Bark bark woof woof yip yip yip yip yip, bark bark woof barkity bark bark bark!  Woof woof woof woof.  *wags tail*.

Bark bark bar bark woof woof heroes bark bark bark woof woof woof.  Growl grrr grrr woof woof woof woof woof!

Mission Acceptance

Bark!  *wags tail*

Unnecessary Solicitation

Bark?  *rolls over*

Shinobu - thanks for the chuckle - +1

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

We can sit around and fret about the big boogie man NCSoft, or we can enjoy playing the game we all missed so much.  I have, as much as I possibly can.  I am making long term plans with all of my characters, and I will continue to do so until I have a solid reason not to.  If the worst happens, I know two people personally, who are running private servers.  So, if the end comes again, I will be playing.  Just having to start again.  I could deal with that, if it meant never having to worry about moving again.  I can only hope that work on tools that allow for character data to be saved, and transported between servers becomes available soon, so that we won't ever even have to worry about starting over again either.

What was no more, is REBORN!

Mission Briefing

Character! Bark!

Mission Acceptance

Bark!  *wags tail*

Unnecessary Solicitation

Bark?  *rolls over*

Of course he added the /sniffbutt and /lickself emotes.

3.) Patent - you can patent software processes (maybe the Character Creator, Combat, Zone Rendering - I don't know if any specific patents were filed specifically, but I would be surprised if none were).  Patents run for 20 years and then move to the public domain.  That would mean that the earliest a patent would run out would be 2024.  Again, HC would have no defense for Patent Infringement if that's the case

Thankfully that's more difficult now than it was back when CoH was created because software patents are not a thing that should exist at all.

Thankfully that's more difficult now than it was back when CoH was created because software patents are not a thing that should exist at all.

They still do, but the legality of most existing patents prior to 2014 is certainly debatable, and the standards for new ones are much higher.  You are right Munkilord, that it would be more difficult to proceed on a software patent case, than a software copyright case.

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting