I found a combo I like but have to take a power I don't want to take

DougGraves

56 minutes ago, GM Crumpet said:

I have a plant dom and I find the entangle and roots really useful. I solo a lot and the holds and imobs mean I'm attacking with a lot more effect than I would expect. Add in seeds of confusion and outside of some EB's I'm pretty well sorted. I forget the name of the secondary (It's the one where you throw bees at people) but I find I don't use it that much.

The bees are from Savage Assault.  Plants/savage is very  good.

Engangle and roots give you immobilize but not hold.  What use do you  get out of the immobilize?  How does it help you  to have them not moving?

• Game Master
10 hours ago, DougGraves said:

The bees are from Savage Assault.  Plants/savage is very  good.

Engangle and roots give you immobilize but not hold.  What use do you  get out of the immobilize?  How does it help you  to have them not moving?

That's the one. And they don't chase me with nasty melee attacks

On 1/6/2023 at 4:12 PM, DougGraves said:

Are there any combos you play where you have to take a power that you would rather skip?

I'm not sure this is exactly what you mean but for me the first thing that came to mind was the need to take Tactics if I have a snipe.  Since fast-snipe damage is tied to tohit, if I don't want my snipe to be an endurance expensive, long-recharging meh damage attack, I need to run Tactics and slot a Kismet +tohit to bring that damage up.

Tactics is a tier-2 power in the Leadership pool, so I need to take a prerequisite as well.  Of course I can take Maneuvers which is a perfectly fine LotG mule, but still that's 1 power pool and 2 power picks I'm locked into just to make my snipe decent.  There is no other power or class of power in the game that has that sort of requirement to get full functionality out of it.

I've had a number of builds I just couldn't make work because I ran up against the limit of 4 power pools and was forced (yes I know not literally) to take Leadership.  Every time I'm planning a build with a snipe I miss the OG game devs.  I'm not trying to slag off our current devs, they've done a lot of great work.  Tying fast-snipe availability to tohit levels was an experiment at the time of shut down.  I strongly believe the original devs would have recognized that it wasn't such a good idea and gone back to the drawing board and came up with something better.

On 1/26/2023 at 5:47 PM, DougGraves said:

Roots is the power where my Plant Dom has Superior Ascendency of the Dominator - Recharge/Chance for +Damage (along with 5 other pieces of that set) slotted.

I really only run into this issue with the Fighting pool.  Generally I plan on using any power I pick up except Boxing or Kick unless it's a meme build that takes the entire pool.  I don't really gripe too much about it because the community settled on taking Boxing/Kick as a sort of power tax on picking up Tough and Weave, staples in any meta build.

Even in Epic pools you get a choice in your first power pick when gunning for powers later in the pool.

Would I like to see Tough and Kick swapped around in the power pick order?  Of course.  Will I lose sleep over always taking Kick to get Tough and Weave?  No.  Kicking Hellions down the street in Atlas is always fun, at least.