Unable to play because of the queue

LockOn

So I know this seems like an unpopular opinion to have right now.  And I don't want people to think I'm bagging on the volunteers here, because I am not.  But..........

3k in the queue last night, a 3 hour wait just to get in, and I'm not able to play.

809 in the queue today and climbing.  I can't sit around and wait all day guys, I'm sorry.

Any solution to the over-crowding problem that keeps me from logging in AT ALL, is not a solution.  Asking me to log in at 4 in the morning when we're not on peak play-times, is not a solution.

And I know it sounds like sour grapes, and I'm glad all the people who got in can do so and play.  But a solution that keeps me out of the game server, effectively forever, ISN'T a solution.

This post was not a request for assistance.  Nor am I interested in all the responses of people that are sooo grateful the game is back, at all.  Thanks, we're good.

And I know it sounds like sour grapes, and I'm glad all the people who got in can do so and play.  But a solution that keeps me out of the game server, effectively forever, ISN'T a solution.

It is sour grapes, though, and while it's understandable you have to realise that this is all very early days.  We've been told repeatedly that they're working on a solution- but sadly it isn't going to happen overnight.

I get that it's frustrating, but maybe it would be best to check back in a week and see what they've come up with?

Pink Champagne (Emp/Rad)

Guide of Misguidance (Dark/Regen)

The server is being run for free... well for us the GM's are paying for it out of their own pockets and we are talking $5k per month if not more for two servers.... there is over 7000 people trying to play so its first come first serve thats the only fair way to do it.

You talk of the queue not being a solution but did not give a suggestion of what you think would solve the problem?

I am beyond excited to have a queue! The game is alive. IT'S ALIIIIVE!!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA YEESSSSSS... *ahem* sorry. Got a lil excited there.

Dude. Be glad there is a queue. Im sure we will get servers as needed. But think about this logically. The hosts have to see who is really going to stick it out. No point in having 12 servers only to find out in 3 weeks we only need one now. Maybe adding a 3rd server is a good idea. But, in the mean time; be glad there are enough people to even have a queue. Im in law enforcement and have FOUR, yes FOUR kids. Trust when i say i dont have a lot of time to play either lol. But this isn't a high budget game like WoW where it is inexcusable to have problems.

Just relax and accept what we have right now. Could be worse. We could have NO CoH at all. Ill take a queue time. Hell, the only reason im here is cuz i got booted out in char creation. I spent like an hour on my char, got logged out. Now i have queue again lol. But it's fine. Im still too hyped to be mad about glitches or queue times.

With limited resources and too much demand, there has to be a means to ration this out. The queue serves that right now, as a first-come, first serve basis. I'll grant it's not fair, I've managed to play about an hour since Yesterday, and that was in two off-peak sessions.

The queue is a feature of the game pre-existing these new volunteer teams. I don't think it's likely they can make a lot of modifications to it in the short term.

However, if one could, or looking down the road, it might be more fair if people could be given a daily ration of play time. So that a few people don't stay logged on almost without end (we know some people will do this, and even hot-wire around the afk timers to do it.) But you can imagine the upset from something like that too --who wants to be kicked off a task force because you exceeded your daily two hours (notional) of play time? Not me.

Or how about people sign-up in advance for a log-on window? Basically, reserved play-time. You can see there'd be problems with that too.

Rationing sucks. But it has to be, because otherwise we'll swarm the shards like locusts and leave an inoperable mess that serves no-one.

The only real solution is more shards capacity, maybe from other teams. I really like and appreciate the Homecoming teams' work, but they're in a bind without having a means to fund server resources through the community at large.

The difference between having the queue and not having the queue has been huge in my experience.

Yes, it's annoying to have to log in around lunch time in hopes to be able to play in the evening.

Yes, it's annoying to wait through that queue and then possibly get disconnected right after logging in.

But for right now when people do get in game, it's running smoother with less glitching and mapserver issues (in my experience anyway).

I'm really curious though about why the queue is set up the way it is right now.  I don't understand why the cap needs to be at 2000 or 3000 when they are using a modern server to run a game that is over a decade old.  If anyone understands the server architecture stuff, I'd love to get some insight on the performance differences between a server like Torchbearer, and one of the old ones like Freedom. 

Did City of Heroes ever run more than 2000 or so people per server?  Or was it something we didn't notice because they had so many to choose from (where we currently just have two)?

Altaholic

I understand your pain, with a little baby at home i only get chance to dip in for short slots. Looks like that is off the cards for now, but hopefully things will settle down with the servers in a few weeks and I'll get my chance to play. I've not had the chance for years, i can wait another month if i need to. I really enjoyed the last week, the lag and disconnections didn't bother me, just glad to be back. Any mission i needed to re-do is just extra XP :)

It's Sunday so that means Game of Thrones, that's the time to log in.

I would say if anything the people running the servers are just trying to figure things out.  I would imagine that it's easier to set the cap lower and then increase it to lower the queue wait and times.