Tetris trailer - ugh.

20 hours ago, TheOtherTed said:

I can imagine.  That, Survivor's "Eye of the Tiger," and Matkosky/Sembello's "Maniac" have all been ingrained in the brain DNA of a generation and a half.  Maybe we'll hear those as well...

I used to go to kenpo karate tournaments in the 90s.   I still have to turn off Eye of the Tiger and The Power if heard.  I hit my lifetime listen for those.

On the film, might be good.  I was worried for something actually based on the game, not the story of the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/19/2023 at 11:12 AM, TheOtherTed said:

It doesn't look terrible, might be good, ...

I first encountered the arcade version back when I was a college arcade rat, and was previously unaware there was any unusual backstory.

I'm curious about the movie, but worried too.  Hollywood doesn't have the greatest track record for accuracy in historic films, and these edgy, spy-like scenes in Tetris appear to be continuing that trend.  Glory, one of my favorite Civil War movies, made up whole characters and scenarios, and I'd really have rather been introduced to historically accurate representations of very courageous men.  It's my one grudge of the amazing book The Killer Angels and its companion movie Gettysburg.  Rather than use the real sergeant of the Maine unit, whom I understand was a well-documented person, the author opted to remove him entirely and put a fictional "everyman" character in his place, compiled from the experiences of several soldiers.

The worst such violation I've heard was the movie Zulu, another favorite of mine.  One of the bravest men of Rorke's Drift had his sterling reputation torn to shreds by that movie which took his name but not his character, casting their version as antagonistic and cowardly.  His poor family went to see the film but stormed out in protest when they saw how his reputation was forever violated.

If Hollywood wants to make substantial changes to a historical person or events, take a page from John Ford's The Horse Riders, bill it as a fiction only influenced by real events, and change the names of the characters to protect the real people and their families.  Then they can do with the fictional characters as they will.  Here's hoping Tetris will either toe the line with accuracy or change the names to protect the innocents from defilements of fiction.

Edited by Techwright
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, lemming said:

I was worried for something actually based on the game, not the story of the game.

Based on some sparse and scattered comments on the trailer, apparently Apple TV was originally planning this as a sci-fi flick of some kind.  I... just... don't even want to imagine it.

@Techwright I hear ya.  Add to that the sheer incompetence apparent in some recent releases, and I'm squarely neutral about the whole thing.  Even cautious optimism is asking a lot of me these days.  Still, I might watch it, but I might also wait for a trusted buddy to tell me it's good first.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/20/2023 at 8:50 PM, TheOtherTed said:

Based on some sparse and scattered comments on the trailer, apparently Apple TV was originally planning this as a sci-fi flick of some kind.  I... just... don't even want to imagine it.

"Just when I thought everything was falling into place... everything disappeared."

• Haha 3

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.